Drive - Movie Thread.

Caporegime
The trailer makes it look like an action based popcorn flick.

It's an art house film.

Pwned.

its a heap of crap with a really good soundtrack and a bloke who barely speaks so just looks like a retard.

the rainman character had more personality

Soldato
its a heap of crap with a really good soundtrack and a bloke who barely speaks so just looks like a retard.

the rainman character had more personality

lol - Do you not think the whole 'socially inept' point was deliberate?

Heap of crap? Wow...seems all the 4/5* reviews agree with you.

Then again, opinions are like ********* right, we all have one ;) There's a reason why the film isn't showing in that many locations up north btw!

Caporegime

its fine because im not from up north i just live here :p

i spent the first 19 years of my life in the east midlands..... maybe hes one of those sad people who live in the same area for their whole life and insult people over the internet to cheer themselfs up

btw opinions are like ********* everyone has the right to be one! :p

Soldato
its fine because im not from up north i just live here :p

i spent the first 19 years of my life in the east midlands..... maybe hes one of those sad people who live in the same area for their whole life and insult people over the internet to cheer themselfs up

btw opinions are like ********* everyone has the right to be one! :p

Themselfs? You sure you're not from up north?

It wasn't a dig by the way, it was a fact. The above, that was a dig :p

Soldato
people are only allowed to have an opinion aslong as it doesnt disagree with yours...

GTFO troll

Despite me saying you're entitled to your opinion? Yea, good argument northerner ;)

I was meant to go see 'Warrior' tonight as it's technically Drive's competition along with 'Crazy, Stupid, Love'. I remembered that Chelsea were on tonight though so didn't go watch it.

I've heard it's like 'The Fighter' but a lot more popcorn friendly.

Also whilst the film might not cater to your tastes (which is more than understandable), what do you expect me to say when your opinion is 'it's crap'. It's far from 'crap', the cinematography is beautiful, the soundtrack is excellently complimentary and the performances all round are very strong. The film has that nostalgic 80's stylistic vibe to it, portraying LA as a sensational yet dangerous city. I personally love the pace of the narrative, having 45 minutes of 'nothing' paradoxically provided the shock factor when it inevitably kicked in. I'm also a huge fan of the ending, in particular that one long camera shot that holds on Gosling for what seems a lifetime. Great tension and artistic direction from Nicholas R.

See that Arknor? That is what I would call an analytical justification on why I personally enjoyed the film. If you're going to just come out and say 'it's crap', don't expect me to value your opinion. Elaborate.

BBGus.gif

Last edited:
Associate
Watched it this evening, got rather bored :/
Very little driving for a movie called 'Drive' and the main character seemed a bit slow in the head during conversations with the massive pauses before he spoke?? It did have some great scenes but not enough to keep me entertained.
I guess I was expecting too much action from an arty film.

Soldato
Lets be honest the art of cinematography has been vastly lost on this generation of cinema goers. I blame the 80s blockbuster...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Nothing wrong with a popcorn film but it annoys me when I get criticized for knocking one because I personally found it offered no originality or provocation.
By criticized I mean 'EVERYONE HAS OPINIONS YO!'

Yet a film that tries to push the boundaries, is just 'crap'.

Here is a paragraph from my final year dissertation which is hugely relevant :)

Timothy Corrigan establishes a distinction regarding the experience of the spectator, proposing a divide between the ‘glance’ and ‘gaze’ cinema . The gaze cinema emphasises audience interaction whereas glance cinema relies on its commercial aesthetic as a spectacle. With reference to modes of exhibition, Corrigan describes glance cinema as an ‘outing’ opposed to gaze, as a ‘ritual’. ‘Outing’ infers that mainstream cinema has become a capitalist industrial ‘system’ in which ‘going to the movies’ itself is more important than going to see a particular film. Conversely, ‘ritual’ implies that the film holds great significance to its audience, which would be more relevant to arthouse cinema.

Arknor clearly falls in the 'glance' category. This is by no means a bad thing but when you want to **** off a film, it would be nice if you like I said...elaborated.

It's only a matter of time before I get told I'm ignorant and enforcing my opinions on others, but the matter of the fact is that I've already stated there's NOTHING wrong with watching films as a means of escapism. Regardless, I do believe that if you're going to criticise a film that doesn't meet your conventional expectations you should at least try to justify your viewpoint.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lets be honest the art of cinematography has been vastly lost on this generation of cinema goers. I blame the 80s blockbuster...

ps3ud0 :cool:

this film looks like it was filmed in the 80s :p

btw my favorite film is shawshank redemption which i dont believe has a single splosion?

Watched it this evening, got rather bored :/
Very little driving for a movie called 'Drive' and the main character seemed a bit slow in the head during conversations with the massive pauses before he spoke?? It did have some great scenes but not enough to keep me entertained.
I guess I was expecting too much action from an arty film.
cos hes plain retarded or a serial killer. ima try it tommorow when someone spewaks to me i will stand there for a full 5 minuteas maybe even pull out the drive soundtrack and see what happens

Soldato
this film looks like it was filmed in the 80s :p

btw my favorite film is shawshank redemption which i dont believe has a single splosion?

cos hes plain retarded or a serial killer. ima try it tommorow when someone spewaks to me i will stand there for a full 5 minuteas maybe even pull out the drive soundtrack and see what happens

Have you been drinking?

I'm disappointed you haven't challenged any of my viewpoints. :(

Soldato
OP
Saw this last night, I loved it thought it was slow but methodical and had some great scenes in it, remind me a lot of collateral for some reason. The cinematography is amazing and id be surprised if this didn't at least get nominated for a few oscars

My mrs didn't agree who found it too slow, we had one guy that fell asleep and was snoring until I chucked a sweet at him lol, and there was a bunch of 18 year olds at ether back that couldn't help but cry for mummy after the film was finished as they didn't get it and found it ****.

I don't think the trailer did the film justice, as unless someone read up about it they would think its very action based..... The gore in it though when it does kick off is something else.

the opening 5 minutes are brilliant too, really well done. not sure why someone was kicking off about the pawn shop scene? thought it was really well done...i can understand the disappointment with the ending though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll take that as a yes. Goodnight.

* You're / I / Entitled / Don't

Just ignore him Gustov, arknor is dimwitted and I've just accepted that trying to discuss anything intelligently with him is a waste of time.

I also like the fact he called you a troll when it's he who is trolling.

On the topic of the film, I loved it. Gosling portrays the Driver as an almost schizophrenic character and it really pays hommage to the 80s in a variety of ways.

The one thing I would say that lets the movie down is the ending, but I feel like maybe that's the studio putting some pressure on the director or something.

Back
Top Bottom