What price "Localism"?

Capodecina
Soldato
In pursuit of Cameron's "Localism" initiative, George Gideon Oliver Osborne, the Chancellor of the Exchequer and multi-millionaire heir to the Osborne baronetcy has come up with the cunning vote-grabbing idea of dictating to Local Councils that they may not increase the Council Tax.

Pass the sick-bag Doris.

Caporegime
The price is £800m I believe, that's the extra subsidy central government will have to pay local councils. The question is, will a household "saving" an extra £2 a month by having their council tax frozen feel more confident about the UK economy?

Soldato
In pursuit of Cameron's "Localism" initiative, George Gideon Oliver Osborne, the Chancellor of the Exchequer and multi-millionaire heir to the Osborne baronetcy has come up with the cunning vote-grabbing idea of dictating to Local Councils that they may not increase the Council Tax.

Pass the sick-bag Doris.

You actually have no idea about the real-world do you? With each new thread you succinctly demonstrate your playground level of comprehension.

I for one do not want to leave this decision up for our local councils, who would undoubtedly increase council tax by huge amounts to overcome their inefficiencies.

Man of Honour
Great at least one part of our outgoings will remain stable unlike that of the councils which would rocket if they had a chance. I don’t see why they shouldn’t bear some of the pain just like the rest of us. Funny how they have managed to survive by cutting some of their fat. Long may it continue.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I take it form the last two posts that you would agree with me that Cameron & Pickle's posturing about devolving power from Whitehall to local communities ("Localism") was nothing more nor less than meaningless propaganda and lies then?

Soldato
I take it form the last two posts that you would agree with me that Cameron & Pickle's posturing about devolving power from Whitehall to local communities ("Localism") was nothing more nor less than meaningless propaganda and lies then?

Since when is preventing the council's increasing council tax a devolution of Localism? This is a very sensible directive as council’s will be looking to recoup their loss of income from central government's funding cuts through tax rises rather than addressing their own internal inefficiencies. Now granted, there is only so much each council can cut before operations become unsustainable but there needs to be a modicum of restraint and control process.

There are far more elements of the localism bill to be concerned about.

Actually you do raise a good question though. Is Localism really delegating responsibility and choice to the communities and empowering local groups? You just picked a poor example to highlight your train of thought.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Since when is preventing the council's increasing council tax a devolution of Localism? ...
What :confused:

... Is Localism really delegating responsibility and choice to the communities and empowering local groups? ...
I would have thought it certainly should be, yes. As it happens, I believe that it an entirely meaningless slogan that has been thought through just about as carefully as the Deforestation idea and the thoroughly unpopular privatisation of the NHS.

The Tories claiming that they want to devolve power from Whitehall to local communities doesn't really seem to sit too comfortably with saying that councils elected by local communities should have no control over their income.

I notice that Pickles recently found a spare £250 million lying around and unclaimed that he could bung at local councils to reinstate weekly refuse collection. No connection with the upcoming Tory party conference of course ;)

Caporegime
I heard an interview this morning that the funding pot of 800m would be made available to councils that wanted to use it.

:confused: How does that make it better? Surely Localism is about local councils being given the freedom to do more of what they want, including raising taxes and what they spend it on. Council tax isn't the tax to do this because it's so regressive, but by freezing council tax the government are making local councils even more dependent on central government and therefore increasing the power of central government over local government ("do what we want or we'll withhold your money").

Soldato

By your opening post, you are essentially surmising that the latest parliamentary proposal to underwrite the inflationary element of the council tax is a weakening of, or diversion away from the core substantiates of the Localism bill. Otherwise, why mention Localism in the first place as these proposals have nothing to do with it?

Soldato
Well, it might be re-affirming an old commitment. You know how politicians sometimes "forget" about what they've promised in the past :p

Aye, lol
Like gordy b when he sold off the gold reserve to fund focus groups and nanny state laws, oh yes, and for a 'good' price.
Politicans, as least we know the conservatives are rich upper class types, rather than the other fools pretending they are not.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I'm more worried that David Cameron thinks that British scientists invented DNA. :eek:
Ohhh yes. If it wasn't for plucky British Scientists, DNA would never have been invented and none of us would be here today.

I take it that you didn't read PP&E at Oxford or you would be aware of this sort of basic stuff :confused:

Soldato
I want to be supportive in this thread but I must admit that I much prefer stockhausen threads that offer free links to audiobook purchases.
More of those please :)

Back
Top Bottom