Gonna grow my hair long - few questions

Associate
I've always had short hair since I was about 8 except when I couldn't be bothered to get it cut for a few weeks and it grew into a sort of pudding bowl style. During these times I looked like a douche.

However I've now decided I want to try out long hair as I am fed up of spending time and money on regular haircuts, but I don't want to go through the intermediate douche stage. Has anyone got any tips/personal experience about how to transition from short hair to long hair without looking like a weirdo in between?

For clarification I'm in my 20s with dark brown, straight hair. I don't care that much about my appearance but am willing to put in some minimal effort if there's an easy way to avoid douchery. Like for example a specific hair style I could go for as an intermediate step.

Other questions:

How long does it take to go from say, 1 inch long to maybe 12 inches?
Does long hair get in the way at all?
Does facial hair + long hair = hobo?

I used to have long hair in my teens to late twenties, ended up looking like zakk Wylde without the money and guitar skillz.
What i will say is if you cant be bothered with looking after short hair then dont grow it long, it actually takes more looking after and regular hair cuts to stop it losing condition and getting split ends. I ended up just wearing caps and tying it back constantly as it was hard to keep neat when it was windy/raining ect.

Only place it looked awesome was at gigs, girls love guys with long hair :D Give it a shot and dont worry about how fast it grows, it'll take it anywhere from six months to a year to get anywhere near long and only if you look after it. Dont just leave it to grow without trimming regularly, it will look like a rats nest and no amount of product will bring it back, it's cut and start again.

Man of Honour
I'd say "DON'T DO IT, YOU'LL LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT" but to be honest I'm all for people growing their hair long - if only so they can look back at photos in a few years time and say "NO, I'm not growing my hair long again because I looked like a bloody idiot - see!".

I speak from experience :p

Associate
OP
I'd say "DON'T DO IT, YOU'LL LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT" but to be honest I'm all for people growing their hair long - if only so they can look back at photos in a few years time and say "NO, I'm not growing my hair long again because I looked like a bloody idiot - see!".

lol! yeah, that's partly why I want to do it - so at least I know what it's like.

Soldato

This, I've almost completely erased photographic evidence from when I was 15/16 :p

Soldato
I've attempted to let my hair grow, I usually have a short back/sides and short/spikey on top.

I wanted to grow it longer on top and long enough to style on the sides but it grows slow and sticks out on end and does that bulge thing above my ears so I get annoyed and go get it cut again...I bet I've tried it several times this year! :/

Associate
OP
I've attempted to let my hair grow, I usually have a short back/sides and short/spikey on top.

I wanted to grow it longer on top and long enough to style on the sides but it grows slow and sticks out on end and does that bulge thing above my ears so I get annoyed and go get it cut again...I bet I've tried it several times this year! :/

Yeah that's pretty much what happens to me. I get to the stage where my friends and parents all say I look like a fool and I eventually cave in. Not this time - I am determined :)

Soldato
I'd say go for it. I let mine grow last year and it took about 6 to 7 months to get really long - as in resting on my shoulders.

The only problems as other people have said are split ends etc. It starts to look messy because the hair gets into a poor condition. I literally just used to wash mine, towel dry then leave the rest to dry naturally and it took more than an hour to dry properly. That was another issue! :p

Associate
How long does it take to go from say, 1 inch long to maybe 12 inches?

Your hair may not grow to 12 inches as not everyones hair can grow long it will stop growing at some point.

Like your hight.

btw I have my hair cut every 8-10 months so I grow it long then have it al shaved off have doen this for 20 years.

I look like a mirophone when its long :)
It's getting that way at the moment I normally have it cut when I can feel it bounce when I walk :D

Last edited:
Associate
I haven't had a hair cut for 11 months and its about 6 inches long if i were to straighten it. but its curly so it looks a lot shorter.

do it, i decided to grow my hair as i wanted to know what it was like before i went bald... seriously have never had this much attention from girls!

Back
Top Bottom