BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I found some info on Sky predicted viewing figures and schedules. Nearly 3 hours coverage for qually sounds a bit excessive.

F1 Show - 290k
Practice - 370k
Qualifying - 1.12m (exclusive) / 420k (shared)
Race - 1.34m (exclusive) / 500k (shared)

Channel will launch around March 9

During all 20 race weeks throughout the 2012 season, the channel will be on-air for 63 hours, with a schedule as follows:

Monday to Thursday: 20:00 - 23:00
Friday – Sunday: 07:00 - 24:00

Race specific coverage will run as detailed below:

Fridays: Practice 1: 2:05 hrs, Practice 2: 1:55 hrs.
Saturdays: Practice 3: 1:30 hrs, Qualifying 2:45 hrs.
Sundays: Live Race action: 4:30 hrs.

Between March 9 and November 30, non-race week F1 coverage will be running for 32 hours each week, transmitting at the following times:

Monday to Thursday: 20:00 – 23:00
Friday: 19:00 – 23:00
Saturday & Sunday: 15:00 – 23:00

Caporegime
Meh, 2:45 isn't up that much on the BBC coverage. They ran either 50 minutes or 1 hour prior to the 1 hour qualifying, and up to 30 minutes after.

Remember, Sky will be cramming all the non track time with adverts, so once you bung in 15 minutes of adverts in the hour build up, and another 10 post quali, 2:45 is going to be around the same amount of show time as the BBC's coverage.

Caporegime
Yes there will be ad's in between the sessions of Qualifying. It is the actual on track action that will be uninterrupted. 20, 15 and 10 minutes sessions in Quali, and lights out to flag down in the Race.

Soldato
does anyone know of any F1 feeds in 1080p HD? doesnt have to be live, or even in english, but i figure it will be very useful for the people who are designing C.A.R.S. especially since they are struggling for reference material on the new silverstone paddock area and its surroundings

Soldato
OP
does anyone know of any F1 feeds in 1080p HD?

1080p at the same compression ratio as 720p needs 4 times as much bandwidth. Don't bank on that happening any time soon since they already have issues with not enough bandwidth on many channels.

If you had a facility line to your house you would be able to hook up to Switch 96 or just call Tower direct and get booked across the 1080p world feed that is being sent to broadcasters though. Should only cost a small fortune :) And you'd need to know what line the world feed is on. And hope that they haven't blocked it like Sky do with big big PPV events.

Associate
I think the coverage on BBC could actually be better this year without MB, plus the lineup they have are proven. I really want to see the viewing numbers for the non BBC races, hopefully the viewing numbers are in the 100-200 thousand range, that way Sky wont be able to sell adds, which has to be their end game

Soldato
I like Ben Edwards as a commentator, so that could be a good thing. I can't see him doing a grid walk though.

Without Ted in the pits, there won't be as much news from the pit lane as we have had before, as Lee is normally in the media enclosure, and can't do both.

I am confused though as to what Gary Anderson will be doing :confused: Normally if they need a technical view, they ask a Lotus/Caterham engineer or someone like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom