How did the OcUK Forums get so Big?

Soldato
So, I was doing some ladychores and my mind began to contemplate OcUK's history. How did this very 'niche' corner of the internet manage to become the most popular UK forum*?

*This is a guess, is there a busier UK-based one?

Soldato
biggest computer forum possibly, certainly not the biggest forum though

i guess it got so big because of the great customer service bringing people to it, and then those people just stuck around

Associate
biggest computer forum possibly, certainly not the biggest forum though

i guess it got so big because of the great customer service bringing people to it, and then those people just stuck around

I think there are a lot of members on here though that have never bought anything from OCuK or probably never even looked on the shop's site.

Soldato
mumsnet is hilarious.

Is it a UK-based forum though?

Yes it is a UK based forums. I don't think many people realise that OCUK only attracts a certain class of people, those who like computers and those who can afford to spend money on them. There are some pretty crazy body building forums and mumsnet is pretty damn crazy. It's because of the people who are attracted to these forums, you know you are a bad parent when you can't use your common sense but have to ask for advice on a forum. Same with body building forums, they attract alpha male meat heads.

alx

alx

Soldato
I think it's the relatively strict moderating which people like (me including).

It tends to quickly weed out trolls, idiots, BSers, bullies etc who just post to cause problems. People on here tend to be a lot more pleasant and polite when posting compared to various other forums I visit where people can get away with all sorts.

Soldato
Yes it is a UK based forums. I don't think many people realise that OCUK only attracts a certain class of people, those who like computers and those who can afford to spend money on them. There are some pretty crazy body building forums and mumsnet is pretty damn crazy. It's because of the people who are attracted to these forums, you know you are a bad parent when you can't use your common sense but have to ask for advice on a forum. Same with body building forums, they attract alpha male meat heads.

Up until about a year ago, guilty as charged. It got blocked at work :(

'the misc' is a very funny forum, full of what seems to be 16 - 30 ish males with a childish sense of humour, with the odd female there all throwing banter about left right and centre.

Yes I'm immature

Soldato
I would say that those with a strong interest in computers have a higher than average IQ, which means the forum gets one of the best proportion of intelligent members in the UK. This means the quality of advice given can be good, particularly on computer issues obviously, helping to grow the forum.

Rgds

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't dare go near mumsnet. Based on all the crazy mums you see every day and the crap that you occasionally see coming from "prominent" mumsnet members in the media I can only deduce that it will be a sinkhole for crazies.

Permabanned
same way as facebook or anything else popular
when looking for things on the internet we stumble accross things, good things we keep and use others we simply browse passed

Associate
Somebody pushed a brown envelope full of cash through my door the other day, I just assumed it was my joining payment ?

Are you guys saying you didn't get paid to join ? :confused:

Mumsnet is full of women either panicking about not being pregnant, being pregnant or coping with the result, expecting sanity as well would be asking a great deal :o

Soldato

lol.

I best quantify that response I suppose. Whilst the customer service is fine nowadays, that hasn't always been the case as employee's have admitted themselves.

Back
Top Bottom