• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire 7970 Toxic 6GB

Soldato
It's all about profit. DIMM thesedays are dirt cheap...manufacturers just smack more memory onto the cards, and then charge something like £50+ extra despite the extra memory most likely don't even cost more than £10 to them.

Caporegime
Mind you it seems with VRAM being the ruling factor recently, it will last 10+ years as regardless of the power of the card, guys think that VRAM is what matters.

6GB does seem a fair chunk of overkill. Mind you, it can't be a bad thing.

Soldato
Waiting for the raft of users to tell others in great detail how to spend someone else's money.

6gb should cover 27/30" surround + aa + ultra high res textures and mods nicely. Trusting you have enough gpu grunt, of course.

Soldato
7970's need to be cheaper right now, not more expensive. Nice card, but why would anyone ever need more that 3GB on a graphics card:).

Soldato
Waiting for the raft of users to tell others in great detail how to spend someone else's money.

6gb should cover 27/30" surround + aa + ultra high res textures and mods nicely. Trusting you have enough gpu grunt, of course.
And next year, they will be telling people how 6GB of VRAM isn't enough for that and get 9GB version of the card, ignoring that single GPU won't have nearly enough grunt for pushing those settings :D

Soldato
Yea...listen to people's advise...VRAM is all it is to it, so in two years' time you should get yourself a HD9450 18GB , cause GPU don't matter and the 18GB vram alone will run all games to highest settings...:p;):D

Soldato
7970's need to be cheaper right now, not more expensive.

:confused:Why if it performs basically the same as a 680 but generally cheaper in the UK?

Both of them should be cheaper, but they aren't.

As long as people are willing to pay these sort of prices, they will sell, if the 7970 wasn't selling it would be cheaper, yes the 680 is hard to get but stocks have and will be low for a few months yet.

Soldato
:confused:Why if it performs basically the same as a 680 but generally cheaper in the UK?

Both of them should be cheaper, but they aren't.

As long as people are willing to pay these sort of prices, they will sell, if the 7970 wasn't selling it would be cheaper, yes the 680 is hard to get but stocks have and will be low for a few months yet.
Except that the 7970 is not same performance as GTX680. Even if both cards were same performance clock for clock as people claimed, as the end of the day the GTX680 has higher core clock, and even if ignoring the the auto-overclock feature, it is still faster out of the box. 7970 that are 1000MHz+ out of the box are all more expensive than the standard GTX680. I somewhat agree with the statement above that AMD cards should drop their price, with the 1000MHz version cards to GTX680 price level, and the standard 925MHz cards to may be £20 lower than GTX680.

But yes I do also agree both AMD and Nvidia should be good deal cheaper...both should really be at under £350, not £400+.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would normally agree, but we all know that any 7970 will hit 1GHz by simply pushing a slider, I don't see anyone that buys any card@~£400 not being able to set a small overclock.

I also don't see the point at all on spending extra on something you can do yourself:

Msi has 2 7970's, £30 extra gets you 1Ghz, and a redesigned cooler cover, imho :eek:, rip-off!

Evga has slightly higher clocked 680's, 58MHz extra sets you back £38, :eek::eek: even bigger rip-off!

Nothing the stock cards can't achieve!

'NVIDIA have enjoyed at least a couple of years of victory after victory, for the most part outpacing their AMD/ATI counterparts. While we have shown today's sample to be much the same, the performance gap is much smaller than it once had been. Were it not for a nagging thought in my sub conscious I would have absolutely no hesitation in proclaiming the GTX680 to be without a shadow of a doubt the single best graphics card on the planet. That nagging thought has plagued me throughout this review - the GTX680 could have been so much more.'

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/zotac_gtx680_2gb_gddr5_review,20.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom