Overclocking 2500K - IBT Testing

Soldato
Hi all,

This thread has been made to check the stability of my overclock, and make sure all the results are OK

It is related to the problem I was having in this thread, and we were trying to work out if the overclock was unstable

Basically I never done any stress testing when I first overclocked it. I never done this as I never used to play games on my PC and never done anything that stressed it that much, so didn't bother with the stress tests. So maybe now that I have started playing more games, I have started getting this error (shown in the link to the thread above) as the overclock isn't stable? I did used to play a bit of APB Reloaded and Metro 2033 (but I don't think they're very demanding games), and had no problems

All of these screenshots show the figures after the stress test had completed 10 runs, at each stress level, there is one image that shows the figures mid-test on the maximum level so you could see the voltage

Standard

High

Very High

Maximum - mid test

Maximum

So the highest temperature was on maximum and it was 77 degrees Celsius.

Do you think that I need to reseat my cooler (Gelid Tranquillo), and reapply paste etc because core #2 seems to be a lot higher than all the other cores?

Are all the results OK?

Hope you can help and thanks in advance :D

EDIT: The voltages during the tests stayed at around 1.280, they went nowhere near 1.4, which is good, right? During the tests, HW Monitor and CPU-Z were working fine, but CoreTemp kept on not responding if I clicked on it, but I think the temperature readings should still be correct :) And the computer did not crash / reset at all during the stress testing so I'm assuming the OC is stable?

Last edited:
Soldato
One core being hotter is quite normal, wouldn't worry. Temp is a little higher than i'd like for such a low clock but i never used that sink, and looking at the price its not high end air so might be about right. I'd not really consider it stable with 10 runs ibt, i'd at min do 50 runs and 24hrs prime blend, i usually do 150 runs and 48hrs prime as i've seen quite a few fails within that time but virtually none after. You're going to have a bunch of people slating me and saying thats overkill, but thats their problem as i've had no overclocking related issues in 100+ builds for sandybridge cpus.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
One core being hotter is quite normal, wouldn't worry. Temp is a little higher than i'd like for such a low clock but i never used that sink, and looking at the price its not high end air so might be about right. I'd not really consider it stable with 10 runs ibt, i'd at min do 50 runs and 24hrs prime blend, i usually do 150 runs and 48hrs prime as i've seen quite a few fails within that time but virtually none after. You're going to have a bunch of people slating me and saying thats overkill, but thats their problem as i've had no overclocking related issues in 100+ builds for sandybridge cpus.

Alright, I just thought maybe that temp distance between cores was a bit drastic but that's fine then :)

Anyone able to comment if those temps are indeed high for the cooler/processor/overclock combination?

Is prime blend the same as prime95? I will run that someday soon then, never used that one before

Thanks for your help :D

Soldato
temp difference is normal for sandybridge. something to do with the layout of the cores, cores 2 an 3 will always b the hottest.

Interesting, cores 1 and 2 are always the hottest from me. Tried searching for a core diagram briefly yesterday so I could check my mount and see where the issue may lie (poor contact on cooler or rather mishapen cooler base etc)

Associate
Hay azeem

I'd say everything there looks pretty fine comparing the fact that our 2 systems are pretty much the same. When I slowly went up overclock settings I would say that is the VCore I would have been using for 4Ghz. (Currently on 1.33 for my 4.5Ghz)

Only thing that looks kinda worrying is the maximum loads temps of IBT. I'm running like said 4.5Ghz and on max load of 20 Runs my machine only hits 70oC, But then agian might be becuase our cooling is slightly different

Also what is with the SSD temps. I don't know what they normally run at but 128oC sounds crazy hot unless it's being reported wrong

Soldato
OP
temp difference is normal for sandybridge. something to do with the layout of the cores, cores 2 an 3 will always b the hottest.

Alright that's fine then :D Thanks

Yes prime blend is the same, its the default torture test.

Cool, will test it out when I get a chance :D

Hay azeem

I'd say everything there looks pretty fine comparing the fact that our 2 systems are pretty much the same. When I slowly went up overclock settings I would say that is the VCore I would have been using for 4Ghz. (Currently on 1.33 for my 4.5Ghz)

Only thing that looks kinda worrying is the maximum loads temps of IBT. I'm running like said 4.5Ghz and on max load of 20 Runs my machine only hits 70oC, But then agian might be becuase our cooling is slightly different

Also what is with the SSD temps. I don't know what they normally run at but 128oC sounds crazy hot unless it's being reported wrong

Alright :)

Yeah the max temps were a bit hot I think, but maybe that's just the cooling power of my CPU cooler and the airflow of my case?

Hahaha, the SSD temps are wrong, there is an update / fix to make it read the correct temp (or at least a sensible temp) I just haven't got round to doing it yet :L Don't worry, it isn't really at 128 degrees lol!! :p

Associate
Alright that's fine then :D Thanks
Yeah the max temps were a bit hot I think, but maybe that's just the cooling power of my CPU cooler and the airflow of my case?

Hahaha, the SSD temps are wrong, there is an update / fix to make it read the correct temp (or at least a sensible temp) I just haven't got round to doing it yet :L Don't worry, it isn't really at 128 degrees lol!! :p

Yeah it's probably the cooling seeing as I have a dual fan heatsink and I think a slightly bigger case, Did you have your fans rampped up aswell. What I normally do before I run testing.

Soldato
OP
Yeah it's probably the cooling seeing as I have a dual fan heatsink and I think a slightly bigger case, Did you have your fans rampped up aswell. What I normally do before I run testing.

Yeah probably, didn't know yours was a dual fan one

Yeah fans sped themselves up when the test began (Y)

Associate
Yeah probably, didn't know yours was a dual fan one

Yeah fans sped themselves up when the test began (Y)
Yeah I normally ramp them up manually fully so when the test posts the results back the fans normally go down abit. Settings the speed manually they don't and is how I get abit better results xD

Soldato
OP
128 will be the max it can report (8 bits = 127 but don't forget 0 counts as a figure too :p) so definitely wrong :)

If your SSD was really at 128C you'd be smellling plastic cooking and chips frying (not the good artery clogging type).

Hahahaha :D Yeah someone here told me how to fix it a while ago, just haven't done it yet as it doesn't bother me lol ... obviously if it was actually at that temperature I'd do something :L

Permabanned
5 runs IBT with AVX is fine, you'll never get any crashes or anything...

I really don't get these 24hr prime95 stable nuts :confused:

People claiming to run prime95 for absolute stability are foolish, the only way to ensure absolute stability is

24hrs IBT
24hrs Prime95
24hrs OCCT

There's always going to be a stress est that it doesn't crash on..

And what's all this 1.65v for RAM being naughty? 1.65v is fine and there's thousands of people running it at that with no problems at all.

And max safe voltage is higher then 1.35v, don't listen to OCUK who can't seem to understand the difference between max VID and max safe voltage.

Soldato
5 runs IBT with AVX is fine, you'll never get any crashes or anything...

I really don't get these 24hr prime95 stable nuts :confused:

Gonna come right out and say you should not be giving advice, you are wrong. Prime in its current form works the imc a lot harder than IBT/LINX, an overclocked machine should be able to do everything a stock machine should, if you have lower standards than that.. fine but don't tell people they're wrong or nuts when they clearly know better than you about overclocking.. i don't care how many rigs you clocked or how long you've been doing it, you are wrong.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Gonna come right out and say you should not be giving advice, you are wrong. Prime in its current form works the imc a lot harder than IBT/LINX, an overclocked machine should be able to do everything a stock machine should, if you have lower standards than that.. fine but don't tell people they're wrong or nuts when they clearly know better than you about overclocking.. i don't care how many rigs you clocked or how long you've been doing it, you are wrong.

Then why is it that a Prime95 stable CPU can fail Intel Burn Test? And visa versa?

And don't make bold claims about my overclocking, you no idea... Or are you a leet HWBotter?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom