Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop

Associate
Hello all,

Built a new home server recently, It's now running Windows Server 2008 R2 instead of Linux. I've setup remote desktop so I can access the server from any PC in my house, Since the box sits in my cupboard with no monitor/keyboard/mouse etc..

It was working just fine, Until recently I keep getting the following message every time I login to remote desktop:

"The task you are trying to do can't be completed because Remote Desktop Services is currently busy. Please try again in a few minutes. Other users should still be able to log on."

i3xbu0.jpg

The only way to get rid of this message is to physically reboot the server, Then I can remote into it again then it happens again and again..

When I do remotely connect, I click "Disconnect" when I'm finished so my running applications still run while I'm not remotely connected..

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? or is there any other good software out there I can use instead of Remote Desktop?

Many thanks,

-Mayfair

Associate
OP
tightvnc is good

How smooth is it over Gigabit LAN? I tried one quite some time ago and it felt 'sluggish'

That's the main reason I setup the Windows Remote Desktop, as that's quite good/fast over the lan, although as I said it was quite some time ago so things may have changed.

Soldato
How smooth is it over Gigabit LAN? I tried one quite some time ago and it felt 'sluggish'

That's the main reason I setup the Windows Remote Desktop, as that's quite good/fast over the lan, although as I said it was quite some time ago so things may have changed.

i use it over the internet and there is minimal lag. its free so worth a go.

Soldato
Sounds like your session is hanging/crashing. Log on using a different administrator account and check RDS Manager (tsadmin.msc), Task Manager, and Event Logs.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sounds like your session is hanging/crashing. Log on using a different administrator account and check RDS Manager (tsadmin.msc), Task Manager, and Event Logs.

Currently I've been using the Administrator account, I'll create a new user account and use that instead that way when it does happen again I can log into the Administrator account and do what you suggested.

If I find anything in them logs, I'll post them here.

Thanks for your reply.

This looks awfully familiar, check out the list of MS fixes in this Citrix KB article:-

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX129229

In particular KB2661001 seems to describe your symptoms perfectly.

Oh excellent Deviant, I'll try install that KB fix and see if it fixes the issue then post back the results.

Once again thanks!

Associate
OP

Setup another administrator account and started using that instead of the main administrator account so when it did happen, I had another account I could login and take a look at what you suggested.

Although when it did happen, I went to login to the Administrator account got to the Welcome screen then it hanged so rebooted RDM tried to log back in and got the same message on that account.

This looks awfully familiar, check out the list of MS fixes in this Citrix KB article:-

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX129229

In particular KB2661001 seems to describe your symptoms perfectly.

Installed that KB hotfix but didn't resolve the issue, Still experiencing the same thing.

Is there anything else you guys could suggest me try? as this is driving me nuts now I have to reboot the server in my cupboard every time it happens now which is everyday.

I could try using different remote desktop software but it would be nice to use the Microsoft built-in one as when it does work it seems very fast.

When this does happen it seems it's only remote desktop, as I can still access my files over the network(SMB) and I can still access SABnzbd/Couchpotato/SickBeard what is hosted on that server.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Did you get this fixed?

I've just done the April updates and RDP to my W2K8R2 box is not working now :s

It's running headless so not sure if it's the same issue yet...

But did find this (2 x hotfixes listed near the bottom) http://social.technet.microsoft.com...S/thread/a9a8c281-c5d5-4cf0-ac1b-38006b9c5fc4

Nope still not fixed mate, I will reboot the server again and remote in(First remote always works fine after a reboot) and install them hot-fixes you listed and let you know if it has been resolved.

Thanks for letting me know about them mate, Hopefully it'll get it fixed as this is driving me nuts lol.

-Mayfair

Back
Top Bottom