Maintaining a Haarddrive

Associate
So yesterday i decided to open up my PC for an annual clean however in actual fact its the first time ive done so in two year. The amount of dust around the fan etc was crazy. I simply took of the fan and gave a hoover.

In regards to the HDD. I read somewhere its good practice to keep the mechanism lubricated. From time to time i hear a squeak come from inside the PC which could be the HDD mech. Does anybody do the above and if so, what solution do you use.

Caporegime
You'd be better posting in the Storage Drives section of the forum.

Anyway, there are no user servicable parts in a HDD and it doesn't require any form of lubrication by you.

If it is making strange noises then it could be on it's way out.

Back up your data and investigate further.

Associate
OP
If it is making strange noises then it could be on it's way out.

Back up your data and investigate further.

Should be ordering my server tomorrow so i'll back up everything then open up the computer while its running to see if i can pin point this squeak. In regards to the lubrication. It was just something i read the last week or so and it just got me thinking.

Soldato
In regards to the HDD. I read somewhere its good practice to keep the mechanism lubricated. From time to time i hear a squeak come from inside the PC which could be the HDD mech. Does anybody do the above and if so, what solution do you use.

Don't forget to feed it and brush its coat, makes as much sense :p Where in the world did you read that? shocking.

Nothing you can do to service it mate, the file system can be defragged via software to keep that tidy but thats about it.

Soldato
Keep Hard Drives cool with a fan.

Also set the acoustic management to full quite as it puts less energy in the disk arm, and reduces the chance of failure.

Associate
OP
Don't forget to feed it and brush its coat, makes as much sense :p Where in the world did you read that? shocking.

Nothing you can do to service it mate, the file system can be defragged via software to keep that tidy but thats about it.

It does love a good feed of po-data (See what i did there) :rolleyes::D

Im not sure mate where i read it or how i even came about reading it but it did go something along the lines of THIS on ehow.

Never the less, my squeaking problem has been pinpointed and solved. No KY needed this time round.

Back
Top Bottom