Advice on spec / plans needed

Soldato
EDIT: tldr post below this one.

Ok, So now I'm almost there aesthetically I'm re-looking at watercooling.

I originally had a theme for the whole build which has essentially disintegrated, after a company I was planning to hire to black gloss vinyl wrap my 600t seems to have gone bust. The external watercooling made sense for this theme, but in any case I'm sticking with it because it seems a pretty easy way for a first-timer to do things.

Main reasons for watercooling (in order)
-because I'm bored
-H80 and gainward phantom are high pitched and really annoying. Especially the phantom which puts out a hell of a racket. Really do not like the cooler on this stupid thing.
-Aesthetics

1My spec so far: Anything wrong with it?
Note- not interested in going for the smaller version of the rad or going internal.

Phobya Xtreme SUPERNOVA 1260 Radiator
Phobya Radiator Stand + feet
2 x Phobya quick release connector (Compression fitting) for 13/10 tubing.
Phobya 150 tube res.
Phobya laptop-style external psu (for fans and pump) *see below

EK Supreme HF CPU Waterblock - Nickel Acetal
OcUK Tech Lab - D5 Vario Pump & Alphacool HF D5 Top Value Combo

Still to decide: Input welcome

-Tubing. Need 13/10 for the quick release system. I gather 13/10 tubing will generally kink easier than 16/10. However I couldn't seem to find any half-decent looking compression quick-disconnects in 16/10. I'm also not sure which brand to look for. I'm looking for black tubing if that makes any difference.
-Fittings. Not really had a look yet. Obviously need 13/10 compressions. Would like to be looking for nice ones, probably bitspower for inside the case, then any more value oriented ones on the rad/pump/res, thinking silver nickle for inside the case.
-Coolant. Using black tubing so not fussed if it's coloured. Was looking at mayhems range premixes so I don't have to faff around with additives myself. Is pastel superior to X1 in terms of additives? I know that pastel has everything you need but not sure about X1.
-fans. May get spectre pros, may get spectres. Not sure atm. With this much rad area I can afford to have weaker fans like the spectres imo, much quieter. Since the rad supports 4x220mm fans too I'll be getting it first then measuring the spacings. I did have a technical drawing of the 230mm spectre pros so I was going to see if they'd fit, but I lost it ._.. will have to ask bitfenix for that again.

Things I'm not sure about

-Do I need to flush the blocks with deionized water before use?
-To flush the rad, do I just fill it with deionized water via a funnel, shake it around, drain and repeat until clear? Hoping I don't have to get more complicated than that, LOL.
-* Does anyone know, by chance, what the max amp draw is on the D5 pump I have chosen. Need to check because the external psu will supply 5 amps max. 4 x 200mm fans (taking bitfenix spectre figues will be around ~1.2amps.)
-External psu - would the 24W version be enough, there's also a 90w version but I'm fairly sure 24W is enough.
-Graphics cards. Original plan was to bag a cheap(lol) 580 3gb to match this dullard, preferably a reference pcb because the EK backplate for the reference waterblock looks nicer than the gainward/palit version. But now I'm getting the upgrade itch. (already. bought this card beginning of jan -_-) Seriously thinking about using my 10% off voucher (If I got my email in on time >:[! damn assignments!) and preordering 2 x 680 hydrocopper. When looking at it, the cheapest 680 on ocuk is £420. Plus ~£80 waterblock and £25~ backplate you're looking at £525 ish, probably no warranty since it's a PNY or palit and a reference pcb. Hydrocopper is £70 more for more power phases and 6+8pin (although atm these are both utterly useless), evga warranty options + rma, plus majjoorrrrr aesthetics.
EVGA logo would look good with my board. I'm 'mirin.

The setup
No diagrams sorry. Been too busy on assignments to mess around in paint!

Essentially, tubing in case will be very minimal. In one grommet, into GPU2, out GPU 1, into CPU out CPU out grommet.

outside the case, approx 20cm runs of tubing before the quick disconnects. then long runs of tubing down to the rad stand under my desk. res and pump will be mounted on the stand. (Will pump vibration be an issue here?)

Doing it like this should make it pretty easier for me to drain the loop. Will have to disconnect the quickdisconnects, tip the case back to drain the little fluid in it, then drain the rest if needed. Should be pretty hassle free for a novice. (Famous last words?)

So yeah. Long post, But I think that's everything. Any input or help is vastly appreciated mah chums. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bump,
I appreciate the wall of text at the top is a bit of an ask to trawl through in people's free time, so: TLDR version:

- Are there any brands of tubing that are preferred over others? I'm after black / dark silvery tubing with no writing on it.

-Does anyone know the amperage draw of a d5 pump at max?

-will a single d5 have enough flow rate/head pressure for cpu block, 2x gpu block, 2 x 1 metre tubing runs (to and from rad unit) then res and 1260 rad.

-Mayhems pastel vs X1, does x1 have everything I need without additives?

-Do blocks/tubing need to be flushed before use like rads?

- Can I flush a rad by filling it with deionized water, shaking , emptying, until clear? Or do I need to do something more elaborate?

Thanks lovelies.

Soldato
Tubing
With tubing it all seems hit and miss people have completely different experiences with them but i would personally recommend XSPC tubing, treated me well.
Tubing size doesn't really matter long as you can get the correct fittings for it.
Pump
D5 runs at 2 amps and has more than enough power for your loop.
Fluid
When picking your fluid it really depends what colour you want it to be and both pastel and X1 already has additvies but if you're going to use black tubing you might as well buy some distilled water + silver coil.
Flushing
Blocks and tubing shouldn't need to be flushed before using them.
Rads you first flush with warm water till it comes out clear then you give it a final flush of deionized water.
GPU
Ocuk sells gtx 680's with a waterblock pre fitted + 3 years warranty for £530 & i'm sure you could ask them to fit a backplate if you're willing to pay the difference. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-079-OE&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=2255 but if you like the look of the EVGA card and the excellent support it maybe worth just getting the EVGA card.
External PSU
The D5 can draw up to 37w on it's so you will need to go for a more powerful external psu or just run a custom cable from your pc.
Fans
The spectre pros arent the best fans you can buy, i would opt for gentle typhoon fans at a speed of your choice, they have the best performance to noise ratio.

Edit: i'll answer some mopre questions later.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
hope its ok to post this link they don't sell anything so not a competitor, but here is a very good beginners guild to water cooling.

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/water-cooling/33772-water-cooling-guide-beginners.html
Thanks, I've been through a fair few of these kinds of guides and vids and have them all bookmarked lol. A few months back I had noooo idea about anything. Will be interesting to see if I make any glaring mistakes. *nervous*
Tubing
With tubing it all seems hit and miss people have completely different experiences with them but i would personally recommend XSPC tubing, treated me well.
Tubing size doesn't really matter long as you can get the correct fittings for it.
Pump
D5 runs at 2 amps and has more than enough power for your loop.
Fluid
When picking your fluid it really depends what colour you want it to be and both pastel and X1 already has additvies but if you're going to use black tubing you might as well buy some distilled water + silver coil.
Flushing
Blocks and tubing shouldn't need to be flushed before using them.
Rads you first flush with warm water till it comes out clear then you give it a final flush of deionized water.
GPU
Ocuk sells gtx 680's with a waterblock pre fitted + 3 years warranty for £530 & i'm sure you could ask them to fit a backplate if you're willing to pay the difference. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-079-OE&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=2255 but if you like the look of the EVGA card and the excellent support it maybe worth just getting the EVGA card.
External PSU
The D5 can draw up to 37w on it's so you will need to go for a more powerful external psu or just run a custom cable from your pc.
Fans
The spectre pros arent the best fans you can buy, i would opt for gentle typhoon fans at a speed of your choice, they have the best performance to noise ratio.

Edit: i'll answer some mopre questions later.

-tubing. I'll bare that in mind. Was looking at ocuk's range and the only compatible tubing they sell is the masterkleer clear. I didn't want to go for bigger tubing because of the clutter. Will have to decide though.
- pump + psu. hopefully it will be ok on the 90w version of the psu then. If I have any issues I guess I'll just buy a 24w version for the fans separately. I have a spare extension lead so I'll be running that from the other one with these plugged into it. That way I can turn the water cooling off when the pc is off.
-coolant. I thought about diwater + kill coil and pt nuke anti corrosive etc but I thought adding my own additives would be adding another area for me to balls up lol. The "mayhems has everything you need" appeals to my lazy tendencies.
-Flushing. thanks, I check the guide above and it seems that's been the theme everywhere. I guess I got it in my head that more was needed from this vid I've seen of a guy using an aquarium pump and a filter to get everything our of the rad!
-GPU. I did consider them, would be a fair bit cheaper too, especially with my 10% off. But I do like the looks of the hydrocoppers, and Ive put a lot of effort into the looks of my rig so far.. With the 10% they are roughly what the tech labs card + backplate would be with it..
-Fans, The rad is a single 1260 and has mounting brackets for 9x 140mm fans or 4 times 200/220mm fans. 140mm fans for rads seem pretty scarce tbf, I was looking for 200mm anyway just to cut down on cost and noise. I was looking at the spectre pro because I know that at a low speed it's quiet enough and it looks the bomb. When I get the rad I can measure up the bracket fan spacings to check, because I know the 230mm spectre pro has the same spacing as the 200mm, just that in one plane the fan is 3cm wider overall. The 230mm are deeper thickness and rated quieter so should be better for me.. but we'll see :0.

Thanks for the input chaps! Much appreciated.

Soldato
OP
This *may* be on hold again because I'm pretty certain my agility 3 steam drive has just died. If so I'll be swapping out my psu as well so gonna crunch the funds a bit :/

Edit: nope, all good. How does a sata cable just die? It's only a cable! -_-.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bump.

Received some of the stuff today.

-rad + box + feet
Enormous.
-tubing
looks and smells like licorice. hmm..
-basic black nickle comp fittings
-bitspower fittings for inside case
-sli fitting
will need to replace I think, pretty sure that's not the size I'll need.
-quick release fittings
-external psu
-clip on 90 degree plastic guards to stop the tubing kinking as it goes down the back of my desk.

Res:
The res has tiny scratches/cracks on the inside.. I take it that's faulty? I would upload pic but can't find camera atm.

Back
Top Bottom