Sky HD a tree and a horrible neighbor

Associate
OP
Call sky and say you want to cancel because you can not get a proper signal due to the tree.

They will first say they can come and fix it for £60 pounds, again tell them that is no good and you want to cancel.

They will then offer to do it for free.

I was thinking along those lines.
The engineer that came before said he couldn't move the dish to any other location on our house, I did wonder at the time was it because he couldn't be bothered to get his longer ladders.

Soldato
I was thinking along those lines.
The engineer that came before said he couldn't move the dish to any other location on our house, I did wonder at the time was it because he couldn't be bothered to get his longer ladders.

Most wont install onto a chinmey until you tell sky to f-off. Then they pretty much have to to keep their job.

Soldato
Talk to her, people are far too scared of chatting to neighbours but don't expect her to pay anything towards this as she doesn't have a problem. You've chosen to have your TV delivered in this way, so the problem is entirely yours. If you can't resite the dish then you've no choice but to get on her good side.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help guys,
So it appears we have two options.
a, call sky to cancel and get them to move the dish.
b, Ninja night time tree killing.
option a, seems the way to go first.

Soldato
Get in touch with your Councillor & explain, show him the problem.
Don't understand why housing authority don't accept tree is theirs, when it's in the garden of their property?

You might find a Sky zone 2 Dish (size 80cm x 60cm) will grab a better signal, less likley to give you interferance and signal and quality seem to be higher when installed properly & less affect by rain interference.

What about a stand off bracket with dish mounted to pole peeking over top of roof to satellite?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have you got a chimney? My parents have their dish mounted there because there is a dense collection of trees blocking the "normal" sightline. No problems for them.

No chimney, but this dish is located about a foot above our living room window, so they could move it up and too the right.
Probably increase the height a fair bit.

Soldato
Call sky and say you want to cancel because you can not get a proper signal due to the tree.

They will first say they can come and fix it for £60 pounds, again tell them that is no good and you want to cancel.

Not always true. One of our Sky boxes was on the blink so we phoned them up and were told they would charge us to replace the set top box. I refused to pay it and asked for a cheap, non-HD, non-recordable, bog-standard replacement and they said "sorry sir you will have to pay for a new box if you want it replaced". I then asked to cancel and they accepted without any attempt to keep my custom.

Oh well, it's saving me £50 a month and I'm not really missing anything. I've got Freeview HD so that's free unlike with Sky and I just watch sport and American TV shows online.

Soldato
You do know that if you kill the tree it isnt magically just going to fall down straight away?

if its only just too big (as op suggests since it only some times causes an issue) the issue would likely be resolved it the tree have no leaves - ie dead..

would be better get it cut back a bit or the dish put on a pole...

Associate

Try that, i always give sky the sob story about being skint, cheap sky for 3 months :D

they will not want to lose you. They might be able to help.

Back
Top Bottom