front door sellers/charities

Soldato
Hi

Today I had a door to door seller who claimed he was from some homeless youth charity , he was selling household things like dusters and other mf cloths.

I was not interested in anything he was selling and then he asked for a small contribution, which again I said sorry but I cant.

Now I'm all for giving to charity but I just hate it when its someone who knocks at your front door and after I feel so guilty about not giving anything!

Does anyone else feel the same?

Caporegime
Hi

Today I had a door to door seller who claimed he was from some homeless youth charity , he was selling household things like dusters and other mf cloths.

I was not interested in anything he was selling and then he asked for a small contribution, which again I said sorry but I cant.

Now I'm all for giving to charity but I just hate it when its someone who knocks at your front door and after I feel so guilty about not giving anything!

Any normal decent, human would feel guilty. Paying 50p to not feel like that is cheap enough for me once a year that it happens.

Associate
put one of those signs up saying you are not interested etc. then just point to it if they knock on your door again.

Caporegime
im sick of "charities" knocking on my door..

they dont just want a small contribution , they want your bank details to set up a direct debit these days.... :rolleyes:

im talking about proper charities not some randomer trying his luck.

personally i believe charities should not be allowed to go knocking door to door preying on the weak.

Man of Honour
I hate people who come to the door, had loads of the "have you used the grant from the wall insulation".
Can't you see every house on the street has the tail tail hole repairs in the wall.

You should be able to opt out of door to door either by database or by a sign and legally enforced. Would also cut down on the vulnerable getting conned.

Soldato
One day people will learn to just say no and shut the door.

Until then door to door sales will remain one of the most successful methods for raising money for charities.

Would also cut down on the vulnerable getting conned.

Depending on what you mean by vulnerable, many areas are already legally no go areas for door to door sales.

Last edited:
Soldato
One day people will learn to just say no and shut the door.

Until then door to door sales will remain one of the most successful methods for raising money for charities.

Depending on what you mean by vulnerable, many areas are already legally no go areas for door to door sales.

Yes, I've seen many areas where it is a no cold calling zone. I'm not sure how its enforced though.

Associate
Similar to this, i just had a guy at the door who said that he was from the BBC and was collecting newspaper trends and information..... i was like :|... he shows the names of everyone who lives in my house and says "do these people live here ?"... i said "I'm not at liberty to say" he was like "....." then asked "is everyone in the household over 15 years old?.." Again i didn't answer and let him know that i'm quite busy and even if i wasn't i wasn't really interested in helping with his questionnaire..

My housemate just said that I should have been more helping, but i don't see why i should have ? Would you have stood there and let him collect loads of information about you ?

Associate
ha yeah we do so may have been a genuine data collection questionnaire.. He even played the charity card and said I need to collect this information or I don't get paid.... i gave him the orly stare.

Soldato
It's the chuggers who grab you on the street that I hate.

I know it's not charity related, but it is door to door related. Not long back, I had a knock on the door and it was some scrotey looking youth trying to sell me cheese. He had a tatty backpack full of the stuff, then when I refused his offer he pulled a load of meat from different pockets and tried to sell me that instead. Yeah, I know they're two of the most shoplifted items from suprmarkets, but going door to door in order to sell meat and cheese is just plain weird if you ask me.

I mean, who the hell would buy foodstuffs from some chavvy looking youth who knocks on their door and who carries meat and cheese around in his pockets?

Soldato
Hi

I wouldn't feel guilty because he was probably lying to you, but at least he didn't say it was part of an ex-offenders rehabilitation programme.

Similar to this, i just had a guy at the door who said that he was from the BBC and was collecting newspaper trends and information..... i was like :|... he shows the names of everyone who lives in my house and says "do these people live here ?"... i said "I'm not at liberty to say" he was like "....." then asked "is everyone in the household over 15 years old?.." Again i didn't answer and let him know that i'm quite busy and even if i wasn't i wasn't really interested in helping with his questionnaire..

My housemate just said that I should have been more helping, but i don't see why i should have ? Would you have stood there and let him collect loads of information about you ?

I let someone do a RAJAR survey on me (basically a radio listening diary for a week). Since then I've had two follow up online diaries on all types of listening and received £5 amazon vouchers for each one. Not too bad as it's vaguely interesting although for the amount of work (maybe 25 minutes for the week) it's probably a little lower than my usual hourly rate...

edit: my word I've been trapped in a necro thread

Last edited:

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Open your front door Naked & wave your tackle from left to right in a hypnotic motion, Once he's in a trance rob his collection box & close the door, Profit.

Soldato
I have a strict policy of not giving to unsolicited charity collectors or any traders who knock on my door. I happily support the charities I choose and while some of the door-to-door may be worthwhile charities, my wife is more trusting than me and has been caught out by unscrupulous fraudsters in the past.

Last month we had a visit from Battersea Dogs Home. "Are you aware of it?" the yellow-jacketed girl asked. Yes, but I live on the Sussex coast, miles from Battersea, and there are at least 2 animal shelters within 10 miles which are certainly less well funded and in greater need.

Back
Top Bottom