Euromillions

Soldato
Looks like it's crashed. Oops

25updo6.png

Soldato
I watched a guy withdraw cash from the post office and then go to the lottery counter and spend £100 on tickets for what I presume is the Euro-Millions.

He even said "I hope I win as this is all I have to feed the family for the week."

People really are stupid.

Caporegime
I watched a guy withdraw cash from the post office and then go to the lottery counter and spend the £100 on tickets for what I presume is the Euro-Millions.

He even said I hope I win as this is all I have to feed the family for the week.

Unbelievable. Yet believable.

Associate
I watched a guy withdraw cash from the post office and then go to the lottery counter and spend £100 on tickets for what I presume is the Euro-Millions.

He even said "I hope I win as this is all I have to feed the family for the week."

Are the raffle numbers per ticket or per lines you buy?

I had always assumed it was one per ticket.

Soldato

A tax on the stupid.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If a bookies offered the appalling odds you get on the lottery on their markets they'd go out of business with in a week.

It's only because the top prize is so substantial people are willing to forget their chances of winning the jackpot are nigh on zero, if for no other reason that they can fantasise about winning it and what they'd spend the money on (as evidenced by 90% of the posts in this thread).

Soldato
A tax on the stupid.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If a bookies offered the appalling odds you get on the lottery on their markets they'd go out of business with in a week.

It's only because the top prize is so substantial people are willing to forget their chances of winning the jackpot are nigh on zero, if for no other reason that they can fantasise about winning it and what they'd spend the money on (as evidenced by 90% of the posts in this thread).

I agree, but without doing any math I figure odds are better there are 100 millionaire prizes tonight plus the jackpot.

Associate
A tax on the stupid.

The last bit is the only reason I enter, sucker but you gotta be in it to win it.

Soldato
Don't understand why people buy 10+ tickets i mean what is the point really.

Ten times the chance of winning maybe?

On the main draw yes but not in the raffle as for each extra raffle line you buy you are increasing the numbers of raffle lines available by one thus slightly decreasing the probability of your other lines winning.

Buying more raffle lines does increase your chances but it is not proportional like the standard lottery.

Very simple example, lets say there are only two people in a raffle, me and you and we both have a line each. We both have a 50% chance of winning. However if I then buy another line, increasing the total number in the pot to 3, my chances of winning are now 66%, so I haven't doubled my chances of winning.

So every extra line you buy becomes less and less cost effective in regards to your chances of winning.

Last edited:
Associate
A tax on the stupid.

You don't need a maths degree to realise how bad the odds are with the lottery. All us mathematicians are the ones who go out gambling, play the lottery, while someone else stands around lecturing us on the odds. :D

Back
Top Bottom