Gina Rinehart calls for Australian wage cut

Soldato
Australian mining magnate Gina Rinehart has criticised her country's economic performance and said Africans willing to work for $2 a day should be an inspiration.

Georgina "Gina" Hope Rinehart (born 9 February 1954) is an Australian mining tycoon. She is the heiress of Hancock Prospecting and the daughter of the late Lang Hancock and Hope Margaret Nicholas.

Ms Rinehart is said to make nearly A$600 (£393) a second, and her views have been dismissed by Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19487985

Women born into a position of massive material wealth has the audacity to say that the average worker should be willing to work for less.

Are these people even from the same planet?, how out of touch with reality can somebody be?.

It gets worse when you research into Australian news/media & come to understand the extreme right has a total monopoly on the media of the country.

Man of Honour
Australian mining magnate Gina Rinehart has criticised her country's economic performance and said Africans willing to work for $2 a day should be an inspiration.

Georgina "Gina" Hope Rinehart (born 9 February 1954) is an Australian mining tycoon. She is the heiress of Hancock Prospecting and the daughter of the late Lang Hancock and Hope Margaret Nicholas.

Ms Rinehart is said to make nearly A$600 (£393) a second, and her views have been dismissed by Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19487985

Women born into a position of massive material wealth has the audacity to say that the average worker should be willing to work for less.

Are these people even from the same planet?, how out of touch with reality can somebody be?.

It gets worse when you research into Australian news/media & come to understand the extreme right has a total monopoly on the media of the country.

It's the second idiotic thing she's said in a couple of weeks. Not many people had heard of her before that, I think there's merit in the idea that she's trying to build a larger widespread image. It's easy to build a large negative following and turn it around than build a positive one from scratch.

Soldato
One of the more unpleasant realities of life that people don't seem to be able to accept is that somebody has to be poor, and inevitably somebody has to be rich.

The its not a prerequisite that the rich ones have to be quite so stupid and tactless though.

Soldato
OP
One of the more unpleasant realities of life that people don't seem to be able to accept is that somebody has to be poor, and inevitably somebody has to be rich.

The its not a prerequisite that the rich ones have to be quite so stupid and tactless though.
Not really.

Money as a abstract construct isn't a permanently integrated feature of humanity.

It's a reality of our current society, but not of life as a whole.

Besides, redistribution to reduce the total differences could still keep the "rich/poor system" - but with small total differences between the two groups (which would yield better social cohesion).

Soldato
Sod that! I'm trying to get a job over there because of such good wages. Sit down and shut up you silly mare

The pay in the mining sector is especially crazy. Mostly because everything in the mining area has rocketed with regards to prices but many people just do it for a few years and leave.

There was a Canadian lad I spoke to who was barely 21. He got a job driving some trucks at the mines, I recall they were not big trucks but they were carrying some kind of liquid they needed (2 years ago so can't recall the details). He described it as easy - 'just driving a small truck at slow speeds from one place to another, no pressure'.

He was on $120k AUD and a load of other location benefits and tax breaks on top. £77k+ for driving a truck around!!

Soldato
The pay in the mining sector is especially crazy. Mostly because everything in the mining area has rocketed with regards to prices but many people just do it for a few years and leave.

There was a Canadian lad I spoke to who was barely 21. He got a job driving some trucks at the mines, I recall they were not big trucks but they were carrying some kind of liquid they needed (2 years ago so can't recall the details). He described it as easy - 'just driving a small truck at slow speeds from one place to another, no pressure'.

He was on $120k AUD and a load of other location benefits and tax breaks on top. £77k+ for driving a truck around!!

Yeah. That's what i'm trying to do. Well, not drive trucks but work as a mining engineer there. I know people who work over there for 3-5 years and now own at least one house in the UK some people own two. Crazy money out there and it won't fall anytime soon because they're so desperate for mining engineers.

edit: I was also told that Australian women have on average the largest bust size in the world...

Soldato
Yeah. That's what i'm trying to do. Well, not drive trucks but work as a mining engineer there. I know people who work over there for 3-5 years and now own at least one house in the UK some people own two. Crazy money out there and it won't fall anytime soon because they're so desperate for mining engineers.

edit: I was also told that Australian women have on average the largest bust size in the world...

Yup, people coming and going all the time. You'll be on nice $$$$ as an engineer.

The places you'll have to live will be expensive holes which are only expensive because of the miners and their cash!! You'll survive though :)

How are you trying to do it? Just applying remotely?

Soldato

Having lived there for almost two years I can say they are bigger in the UK.

However,

The proportion of hotties in Australia is far far higher than the UK. 5000% higher. They are all stunning. They are all filthy and they can all dish out abuse like a truck driver.

Associate
277047-gina-rinehart-an-australian-mining-tycoon-has-leap-frogged-walmart-hei.jpg

Soldato

£77k+ in Aus is not really that much - especially for a job that is as dangerous as the mining industry - and probably has shift/anti-social hours.
People seem to forget the cost of living is probably one of the highest in the world over there - your eyes would literally water at the monthly bills people have to pay in Australia (most I know pay $5000-6000 is common and not for any sort of fancy house). I know a guy who earned just over $100,000 who claimed he just couldn't survive - until his wife also went out to work (which wasn't in there original Australia emigration plans)

The average wage in Aus in 2009 was around $62,000 (it's $80,000 now for Western Australia). Even jobs as normal as Electrical Engineers were on average $120,000 a couple of years ago. It just depends really on how much the job is in demand. Just so happens that Mining is the best paid average wage in Australia at the moment (around $120,000 a year)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, people coming and going all the time. You'll be on nice $$$$ as an engineer.

The places you'll have to live will be expensive holes which are only expensive because of the miners and their cash!! You'll survive though :)

How are you trying to do it? Just applying remotely?

I know a couple of people over there who might be able to sort me out but also applying through company websites.

Having lived there for almost two years I can say they are bigger in the UK.

However,

The proportion of hotties in Australia is far far higher than the UK. 5000% higher. They are all stunning. They are all filthy and they can all dish out abuse like a truck driver.

At first i was :( then i was :) and by the end i was :D

Soldato
£77k+ in Aus is not really that much - especially for a job that is as dangerous as the mining industry - and probably has shift/anti-social hours. The average wage in Aus in 2009 was around $62,000. Even jobs as normal as Electrical Engineers were on average $120,000 a couple of years ago. It just depends really on how much the job is in demand.

Its not as dangerous as people make out at all. There are probably more deaths and lost time injuries in other industries such as manufacturing. Unless of course you work in a mine in china

Soldato
All depends on location for wages.

Sydney, expect big wages, because the cost of living is stupid.

Country, smaller wages, money goes a lot further.

Mining, big wages because you live in the back end of nowhere, work crap hours and there is some risk, plus increased living costs as the towns that do exist locally bump all the prices up for the miners.

From what I heard on the radio, Australia has had economic growth for the 21st sucessive year, so we can't be doing too badly!

Soldato
£77k+ in Aus is not really that much - especially for a job that is as dangerous as the mining industry - and probably has shift/anti-social hours.
People seem to forget the cost of living is probably one of the highest in the world over there - your eyes would literally water at the monthly bills people have to pay in Australia. I know a guy who earned just over $100,000 who claimed he just couldn't survive - until his wife also went out to work (which wasn't in there original Australia emigration plans)

It's great for those looking to make a quick buck and leave though!

The main reason the pay for miners is so high is simply the unsociable location. You'll be working in a small town of a few thousand people with very little to do. If you want fun you have to fly to a city.

The cost of living in Australia is not as bad as many make out. It's quite easy to save there and live frugally.

Quite a few things are a little more expensive. My internet was $130 a month with a 500GB a month cap. I could have got internet for $40 a month but i needed to download all those linux ISOs.

Soldato
I know a couple of people over there who might be able to sort me out but also applying through company websites.

If you really really wanna do it it's also worth seeing if you can get a visa on your own.

Look on the website, spend a grand and see if you can get in. This makes you a lot more employable as it's super easy for them when they don't have to do all the visa work.

Back
Top Bottom