Help with a strange squeak.

Hey all.
My car (1992 Eunos) made no strange noises prior to the weekend, but I have noticed an annoying squeak at from the front left wheel area at low speeds.
I have recently changed the belts (not cambelt) so it could be one of those slipping, but the noise does not go away when I put my foot on the clutch so I doubt it is that. Also if I rev it in neutral the noise is not present. The squeak frequency reduces as I slow down and is not there when I am stopped.

Last weekend I got new tyres on the Friday and an alignment on the Saturday. They also aligned my steering wheel. I noticed the noise as I was driving home just after the alignment was completed, and the mechanic gave it a small test drive before to check all was OK before he let me drive the car away. I doubt any bolts were left loose from the alignment as the car handles well and there is no steering wheel vibration. I get the squeak when driving in a straight line so it isn't cornering or speed bump related.

I jacked the front up and span each front wheel independently and they did not spin for long before they stopped. Neither squeak.

I am somewhat confident that the noise is coming from the front left wheel - What could it be? Could it be some grit stuck in the brakes? A knackered bush? A knackered bearing that just doesn't like the new suspension setup?

Last edited:
Soldato
If it goes away when you touch the clutch I'd suggest it's the clutch release bearing but if it doesn't do it when the car isn't moving that's a little odd

Associate
an MX5 does not have front cv joints.

Is it related to road speed or engine speed? If you step on the clutch at 30mph and let the revs drop to idle does the squeak change? My money would be on suspension bushes - either worn old ones or dried out aftermarket polybushes.

Soldato
OP
The noise does not go away with the clutch down. I have a strong feeling that it is from the front right wheel area.
Could the alignment have disturbed some old bushes?

I will test the brakes tomorrow. Should I touch the brake pedal lightly and see what happens? I tried stamping on them but tbh I am crapping myself thinking they will lock up on ice.

The squeak/squeal is related to speed of the vehicle, not the engine speed.

Associate
If as you say the noise frequency increases and decreases with the speed of the wheel you can rule out suspension bush's or anything else that doesn't rotate.

Just touch the brakes lightly.

Soldato
OP
The squeak tends to appear after driving for 10-15 mins (well after the engine has warmed up). If I put the car in neutral and roll down a hill I can hear the squeak, as I apply the brakes the squeak gets slower until it stops when I stop.

Would it be the bearing on the wheel? The front ones are supposedly very easy to replace.

Soldato
Lift the front of the car and spin the front wheels fairly quickly - touch the spring, if there's vibration through it it's likely the wheel bearing. You might just have a brake pad very slightly loose in the carrier - in that case there's nothing to worry about.

Soldato
OP
Lift the front of the car and spin the front wheels fairly quickly - touch the spring, if there's vibration through it it's likely the wheel bearing. You might just have a brake pad very slightly loose in the carrier - in that case there's nothing to worry about.

If it is the brake pad, is there a way to stop it making the noise? It really is not loud but as the car is a soft top the noise can be heard and is quite annoying!

Soldato
If it is the brake pad, is there a way to stop it making the noise? It really is not loud but as the car is a soft top the noise can be heard and is quite annoying!

Not really, no :/

Copper greaseon retaining clips, back of pad to stop them vibrating usually helps

This is the usual way, however it may not stop it completely.

Soldato
OP
Any vibrations through the steering wheel? If not then warped disc is unlikely.

None at all.
I think the problem must be to do with the wheels as the symptoms are nothing to do with suspension movement of any kind.
A bearing giving a squeak sounds strange as afaik they tend to grind or make a wob-wob noise. Could be something stuck in the brakes, but it just seems wierd that the issue began right after the alignment was done.

I will lightly hold the wheel and brake hard next time I drive it to check if there is any movement at all :).

Last edited:
Associate
Hey all.
My car (1992 Eunos) made no strange noises prior to the weekend, but I have noticed an annoying squeak at from the front left wheel area at low speeds.
I have recently changed the belts (not cambelt) so it could be one of those slipping, but the noise does not go away when I put my foot on the clutch so I doubt it is that. Also if I rev it in neutral the noise is not present. The squeak frequency reduces as I slow down and is not there when I am stopped.

Last weekend I got new tyres on the Friday and an alignment on the Saturday. They also aligned my steering wheel. I noticed the noise as I was driving home just after the alignment was completed, and the mechanic gave it a small test drive before to check all was OK before he let me drive the car away. I doubt any bolts were left loose from the alignment as the car handles well and there is no steering wheel vibration. I get the squeak when driving in a straight line so it isn't cornering or speed bump related.

I jacked the front up and span each front wheel independently and they did not spin for long before they stopped. Neither squeak.

I am somewhat confident that the noise is coming from the front left wheel - What could it be? Could it be some grit stuck in the brakes? A knackered bush? A knackered bearing that just doesn't like the new suspension setup?
I had a car come in with a squeak when going over speed humps after having new tyre s from kwik fit. they must have dropped the wheel on the **** plate so it rubbed the disc. just poke a screwdriver though the wheel to move the shift plate away from the disc

Associate
I think you have ruled out everything apart from the wheel bearing.

I doubt it's worn out as it would be making a different noise, but it could be dry. They are easy to take out and repack with grease. Certainly be worth having a look I think.

Back
Top Bottom