Musings on cooling down coffee...

Associate
Thread needs graphs.

....and charts!

I remember standing in a lab cooling some water with a thermometer in it, first using a fan and then without, taking readings over time and then plotting a graph to compare the readings.

I doubt I'll be able to find my GCSE physics notes from almost 20 years ago though :)

Soldato
Soldato
Simplest answer to this is to use water that is just off the boil or a proper coffee maker. Coffee should never be boiling hot.

Associate
Simplest answer to this is to use water that is just off the boil or a proper coffee maker. Coffee should never be boiling hot.

Agreed. The problem for some people is they'd rather not drink tap water without boiling it first. Better to boil and wait if you have the time.

Associate
Have you considered the temp of the mug before the hot water is added?

Also, the temp drop rate would change significantly if a metal tea spoon is left in the mug.

Soldato
Well, since this is less musings about coffee, and more musings about thermodynamics and heat transfer, I applaud the OP. I'm sure, from the OP, that this is already common knowledge, but it may help if not

Q = mc*Delta T

Q = heat energy ; m = mass, c = specific heat, delta T = the change in temperature

So you'll need to know the mass of the mug, assume a mass of 1 kilo per litre for the coffee (if it's instant anyway, it's mostly water) and maybe marginally higher for the milk, but we could fudge it a bit.

If you measured the temp before and after adding the milk, we can work out the energy exchanged at different temperatures, and you could compare that with set time periods of heat radiation with and without milk.

Do it. Graph it. Let us know the results.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Apparently if you just inhale coffee aroma it has the same waking up effect as actually drinking it.

Saw it on heston blumenthals program.

Or you could snort a line of coffee granules.

Man of Honour
I have the opposite problem

I freeze my coffee to prevent it from being too hot. Then when I remove it from the freezer, I often ponder how to achieve the optimum thawing out speed

Soldato
Milk ice cubes.

Wrong! You do not want the ice melting in your lovely coffee YUK

Actually I came up with a great tasting iced coffee yesterday

Here's how it worked

1 - Large tumbler (330ml) filled with 60% ice cold milk add 2 tea spoons of camp/chicory to taste (careful with this bit)

2 - Make concentrated hot instant coffee (150ml (just over half cup) with your preferred blend. For me 6-7 t-spoons of Douwe Egberts, 6 t-spoons of sugar. Mix thouroughly

3 - Now run the coffee over a tumbler filled with ice, don't let the ice melt. Pour the coffee (minus the ice) now chilled into the cold ice. Mix and enjoy

EDIT: Sod it I'm going to make one of these now :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Leave the spoon in it.

Tilt the cup until its almost spilling out and blow on it.

Add milk after about one minute. The temp of the coffee should reduce fairly quickly on its own in that time.

Just imagine the milk is NOS and you're racing for pink slips with the man who's just come out of the McDonalds drive through.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom