Richest guy in the world

Wise Guy
Soldato
http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/

How the hell is a Mexican telecom owner richer than the guy who founded Microsoft, or the people who own Wal-Mart?

Anyone else find that weird how Carlos Slim is the richest guy in the world from owning a bunch of companies in Mexico?

Apparently there is more money in mexican mobile phones than having your OS installed on 70% of computers WORLDWIDE :confused:

Soldato
Well to be fair if one guy owns or has a major shareholding in a major telecoms company where the country has 112m+ population then I think it is quite understandable why he is so rich.

As an aside I'm not sure your Microsoft figure is correct today.

Caporegime
Why not google and see where his money came from.

What is there more money in OS's which aren't replaced very often or at a huge expense, or telecoms, monthly rental, internet, monthly rental and oh yeah, his tabacco, mining, hotel, food, real estate, construction, banking/trading......

Though of course Bill gates was worth over 100billion at one point and has given at least 28billion to charity.... So if Slim gave away 28billion quid, Gates would be right back up there again.

There is less money in a single OS even massively well sold worldwide I would say, however with MS Gates started it and basically got all the major profits himself, where as most other industrys have huge boards where the profits are shared out much wider. Theres a lot more money in all the sectors Slim is/was involved in but the profits get spread far far wider.

Caporegime
doesnt he pretty much have a monopoly on phonelines in mexico.

Gates doesnt really seem to care about being the most wealthy either unlike a lot of others that see it as a real life high score

Soldato
Gates doesnt really seem to care about being the most wealthy either unlike a lot of others that see it as a real life high score

Yea. Bill Gates had realised he had gotten so rich, that more money would literlary make no difference to his, or his families lives. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is so rich that it gives billions to combat diseases, research into AIDS etc. And itself is still rich enough to buy enough stock in companies screwing over poorer nations to have a voting share.
Now I don't like how he got the money in the first place, MS has done some pretty uncompetitive things, but can't fault the guy for what he is doing with it.

fields of communications, technology, retailing, and finance.

More than just phones :p

So basically, his companies make the phones, sell them in his stores to people taking his loans so they can use them on his network? :D

Apple have nothing on this guy!

Last edited:
Associate
not telling what im worth, never understand why the likes of bill stay usa citicens when you not alowed to have more money than the govement, thats why he has to give silly amount to charity

Caporegime
Being the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company doesn't make own billions of dollars, just a fat cheque, lots of bonuses including company shares. Bill gates doesn't have 100% ownership of MS, I expect Carlos Slim has a high share %.

Soldato
not telling what im worth, never understand why the likes of bill stay usa citicens when you not alowed to have more money than the govement, thats why he has to give silly amount to charity

Lol! The US government is $15tn in debt. Gates also keeps saying he should be paying more tax, he can certainly afford it.

Soldato

I'm pretty sure every us citizen has a better bank balance than the US government.

Lots of respect for Bill Gates. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to educate themselves on what hes done.

Back
Top Bottom