Transferring to larger SSD

Associate
I got a 60GB SSD awhile ago, and it’s getting full. Planning on upgrading to a larger one but wondered what was the best (preferably free) way to transfer everything in across in a way that windows won’t notice? Hope this is the right place!

Thanks in advance,

Soldato
you need to clone the ssd to your new ssd,use macrium reflect,it will be an identical bootable copy of your original drive

Did this two weeks moving from my 128gb M4 to a new 256gb M4. Once cloned I went into drive manager to extend the partition so it "see's" all the new free space.

Then repeated with my htpc hd to the 128gb M4.

Both using macrium reflect free. Both as quick as you'd expect. Still rock solid, job done.

Caporegime
tbh i havnt used it,ive always used paragon migrate and justbefore it starts the cloning process it asks you if you want to use all available space,then tick yes and it clones it so it uses all the space on the new bigger ssd instead of creating the same size drive as the original ,but its not free unlike macrium

Associate
Did this two weeks moving from my 128gb M4 to a new 256gb M4. Once cloned I went into drive manager to extend the partition so it "see's" all the new free space.

Then repeated with my htpc hd to the 128gb M4.

Both using macrium reflect free. Both as quick as you'd expect. Still rock solid, job done.

+1 Macrium Reflect :D

Associate
OP

Now I just need to find the time to do it!

Is anything that goes wrong likely to occur straight away (i.e. in the first week) or is it worth keeping my old small SSD for awhile before I wipe it and use it for something else?

Associate
Always handy to create an image of your drive first. Then clone it. Anything goes wrong restore from the image.

Sorry to bump oldish thread but I'm after the same thing.

Can Macrium Reflect create the image file?

Also, I am upgrading to 128Gb from 60gb. I don't want C drive to use all 128GB or 60GB. I want it to use 50GB, can Macirum do this?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom