• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

nvlddmkm

Soldato
Getting a lot of crashes lately, with this driver coming up quite a bit in event viewer. I've since done a full reinstall after getting an SSD and its still happening. Ive created a new fan profile in afterburner which kicks in earlier so cools quicker, I've done something through m$ advice in where the driver stops responding and it tries to recover straight away, it now delays for a few seconds longer before recovering. This seemed to work for a while but I'm still getting crashes, and now a reset (bsod) but hung in game so I never saw it (event viewer stated bsod)

A lot of the time it happens when doing daft little things like opening a browser, it's almost as its crashing on wake, and then recovering. Sometimes, not as much lately it crashes, recovers but I get a second pause from the computer every 3 or so seconds.

Lastly, when I come out of a game, again not a regular occurrence, the temps of the card stay high, round 50c doing nothing, when it should idle down to 33c

I've seen a fix where you copy someone else's nvlddmkm file and I've tried that as well and still didn't make a difference.

Any one have any suggestions?

Spec:

[email protected]
Asus z77 premium
8gb ddr3 Samsung green
256gb M4 SSD
MSi 560ti co
64b win7

It's getting to the point I'm thinking of selling the card and buying a AMD alternative, I'm that unimpressed with the NV driver stability.

Caporegime
That crash is because of the volts are a little too low. Add 0.06 in Afterburner on the core and this 'should' sort out your problem. I had the exact same thing and after changing everything except the card, I still got it. After the voltage bump, problem never appeared again :)

Soldato
It sounds like the card is faulty. This is the reason why people complain about drivers a lot, when generally it's not actually a driver problem.

The drivers are more than likely responding to a hardware issue.

So yeah, I think the card itself has problems and could do with being replaced.

Unless it's an OC version, sometimes they have too low volts for the OC.

Soldato
OP
Its an oc (sorry i put co) i'll blame ipad correction for that one.

I've tried bumping the volts slightly in MSI, only they never hold, even with the box ticked to hold them they drop from 1 to .950, i've heard 1.025 is a stable number, think im at 1.005.

Caporegime
Its an oc (sorry i put co) i'll blame ipad correction for that one.

I've tried bumping the volts slightly in MSI, only they never hold, even with the box ticked to hold them they drop from 1 to .950, i've heard 1.025 is a stable number, think im at 1.005.

When you say don't hold, does it drop and then jump up to what you put them at if you start gaming? (use OSD to monitor)?

Associate
Had this on my HTPC running a GT430, was getting a little coil wine from the PSU, before it happend. As you can imagine the card wasn't clocked at all and I was watching TV when it happened. prior to this had a few lock ups but never a BSOD until yesterday then got the nvlddmkm one.

I bought a new PSU (antec) and a radeon 5450 as it's just a HTPC, fingers crossed it's sorted. was either the PSU or card don't care which but very annoying as I like my HTPC to be reliable.

Don't rule out your PSU as the culprit

Soldato
OP
Had this on my HTPC running a GT430, was getting a little coil wine from the PSU, before it happend. As you can imagine the card wasn't clocked at all and I was watching TV when it happened. prior to this had a few lock ups but never a BSOD until yesterday then got the nvlddmkm one.

I bought a new PSU (antec) and a radeon 5450 as it's just a HTPC, fingers crossed it's sorted. was either the PSU or card don't care which but very annoying as I like my HTPC to be reliable.

Don't rule out your PSU as the culprit

The PSU is a Anetc 750w Gamer, its pretty new. In fact i've had nothing but huge bad luck on the PSU front, this is the 4th in just over a year, first OCZ died 3m out of warranty, next Corsair 650CX died after 6 months, its replacement arrived DOA, then i went for the antec. A 4th PSU problem would just be a **** take tbh, think my head would explode. :mad:

Permabanned
I have a sim problem, sometimes my 285 says drivers stop respodning but have recovered, the screen blinks and on i go?

Will a volt increase sort this? Its not driver related as it happens with all, the thing is it happens like once in a while, sometimes 2-3 times in 1 night sometimes 0.

I have Performance edition but its still on stock clocks.

I always put it down to glitch as most times it recovers or the game crashes.

I see your also from Newcastle? Maybe our power grid is ****ed lol?

Soldato
OP
Ohh thats bad luck, well my new psu is an Antec too so your in good company. They seem well built and run nice and quiet.

Hope you get it sorted mate, really annoying having these issues.

Yeah the antec seems good, I've got confidence in it that I didn't really have with the corsair. Lets hope it's not misplaced.

Cheers, it's doing my head in. I can't really afford to buy a new card, I'm skint and the computer is all presents, and the SSD is an early Xmas one at that, a new card really is the last thing but I'm out of ideas.

Soldato
OP
I have a sim problem, sometimes my 285 says drivers stop respodning but have recovered, the screen blinks and on i go?

Will a volt increase sort this? Its not driver related as it happens with all, the thing is it happens like once in a while, sometimes 2-3 times in 1 night sometimes 0.

I have Performance edition but its still on stock clocks.

I always put it down to glitch as most times it recovers or the game crashes.

I see your also from Newcastle? Maybe our power grid is ****ed lol?

Yeah this sound familiar as well, no doubt them mackems down the road are using up all the good power ;) lol

Joking aside its a right mare, just getting in to GW2 and its fine for hours then I fast travel and it'll crash. I've even resorted to turning of my screensaver as that hung it on mouse move.

Permabanned
Did you try a volt increase?

Im scared it could be the PSU as ive read lock ups are because of bad PSU and i lock up sometimes also, ive read it could be HDD too though.

I dunno how to test a PSU as if it works it works lol. But i tested my HDD and i got Caution for the rating, but everything is fine again.

So hard to pin point some problems.

Soldato
OP
Say I was a lucky boy this Xmas and got the cash together: 7950 or 660ti....@1050p.

I've not owned a AMD card for possible a decade, my last 5-6 maybe more have been green, but with the nvlddmkm problem it's really pushing me to go red.

Been looking on the MM for AMD cards, what is the second hand equivalent of a 580?

Permabanned
7950 as the 660Ti is overpriced and the 7950 is more like a 670.

AMD have problems too btw, ive had 3xs 7850 not working with my PC!

7850 is close to 580 when OCed, so 7870 id say?

Soldato
OP
Did you try a volt increase?

Im scared it could be the PSU as ive read lock ups are because of bad PSU and i lock up sometimes also, ive read it could be HDD too though.

I dunno how to test a PSU as if it works it works lol. But i tested my HDD and i got Caution for the rating, but everything is fine again.

So hard to pin point some problems.

Just checked, I had it at 1.012 so I've bumped it to 1.024, will see it this helps. MSi tend to have aggressive overclocks on chips which aren't aaa, this could simply be a poor card struggling with the factory OC slapped on it.

Can't be my hdd, had this on a SSD and before that a mech drive.

Back
Top Bottom