windows 8 upgrade license.

Soldato
I installed windows xp on a partition of my macbook air and recently upgraded it to windows 8 via the download upgrade. But I've hardly used it on the macbook since, is it possible to erase the install and use the same license to upgrade my windows 7 machine? Or would I need to spend another £25.

Soldato
I installed windows xp on a partition of my macbook air and recently upgraded it to windows 8 via the download upgrade. But I've hardly used it on the macbook since, is it possible to erase the install and use the same license to upgrade my windows 7 machine? Or would I need to spend another £25.
has you've installed it on a pre built system first, technically no u can't transfer it

u can only transfer it if you've built the systems yourself.

but if u do it you may need to phone activate.

Last edited:
Soldato
is it one time install? what if I change pc. and scrap old one can I take win8 upgrade withme?,.
if you've installed it on a pre built system first, technically no u can't transfer it but u can reinstall it on the same system as many times as u like.

if you've built the system yourself then built another system yourself u would be able to transfer it from your old system u built yourself to your new system u built yourself..

the transfer is only for system builders meaning people who build their own systems

Last edited:
Soldato
so if I get it I can just install from win8 disk I dont need to install 7 then upgrade? I only ask as I am rebuilding my htpc and have noticed I can get upgrade from MS for £24.99

Soldato
I have an old vista license I don't or cant use As I have lost the hard drive that had the rescue partition and would like to upgrade that license is it possible to do that?

Associate
doesn't look possible, installer has to be run from working version of windows even for a fresh, reformat install, shame because I wanted to do the same.

Soldato
I have an old vista license I don't or cant use As I have lost the hard drive that had the rescue partition and would like to upgrade that license is it possible to do that?
if you've got a vista retail license then yes.

if is vista oem then it's tied to the system that it was installed on.

Soldato
doesn't look possible, installer has to be run from working version of windows even for a fresh, reformat install, shame because I wanted to do the same.
after he made a win8 media disk he can boot from it and install it without any OS on his hdd.

MS does allow a clean install.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...4-002f2bca8e57

you just might have to use phone activation

or

Activate Windows 8 Pro Upgrade

Windows 8 users who noticed that the operating system can’t be activated after the installation may want to try the following workaround that worked to activate when installing Windows 7 using an upgrade on a clean PC.
  • Open regedit by pressing Windows-q, entering regedit and selecting the result from the list of hits.
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
  • Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
  • Go back to the start screen and enter cmd there.
  • Right-click Command Prompt and select to run it as administrator.
  • Type slmgr /rearm on the command line and hit enter.
  • Reboot Windows now.
  • Run the activation utility afterwards, enter your product key to activate Windows.
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/win...tall-possible/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You can transfer windows 8 upgrade between computers. If you uninstall it from your Xp system, you will regain your XP license. You can then install it over your windows 7 system. Obviously you can't then use windows7.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-the-new-windows-8-license-terms-affect-you_p2-7000003028/
You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. … You may not transfer the software to share licenses between computers.
In other words, you can remove the Windows 8 upgrade from an original PC and then install it on another PC, assuming the new PC has a license that qualifies it for an upgrade. Likewise, you can completely remove the PUL System Builder software from a self-built PC, a VM, or a partition and then install it in a new physical or virtual PC.

There is no limit on the number of times you may do this type of transfer, providing you follow the rules I describe later in this section. That means hobbyists who like to tinker with PCs can relax. If you buy a System Builder copy, you can move (not share) that license from an old PC to a new one.

if you've installed it on a pre built system first, technically no u can't transfer it but u can reinstall it on the same system as many times as u like.

if you've built the system yourself then built another system yourself u would be able to transfer it from your old system u built yourself to your new system u built yourself..

the transfer is only for system builders meaning people who build their own systems
The transfer has nothing to do with that, as the win8 upgrade isn't pre installed. You can freely transfer windows 8 upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom