• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Replacement for 480GTX

Soldato
If you do not require Physx or 3DVision, a custom cooled 7970 or 7950 will be much better value options. Look at the Gigabyte Windforce x3 versions which run cool and quiet.

As for you question regarding 680 noise, my reference cooled 680 runs pretty silent at idle but is certainly audible during gaming. Custom fan profiles can make these cards very quiet, but if you intend to overclock best go for a custom cooled card such as the Gigabyte Windforce. The 680 is currently over-priced, and is no longer the top performing single GPU card.

Caporegime
The best performance per buck goes to the 7950. The 680 is a great card but it is a little over priced at the moment, the 670 is the sweet spot for Nvidia and if you enjoy the PhysX games, it could be the sensible choice.

I would hang onto the 480 if you can, as rumors of the next gen cards will be out soon but if like me, you can't wait, there is a couple of ideas :)

Associate
I've been hanging on to my 480's since the dawn of time (it feels like), so I've very keen to see what the next gen has to offer.

I had high hopes before, but recent rumours were suggesting the performance increase from Nvidia won't be that significant :(

Caporegime
I've been hanging on to my 480's since the dawn of time (it feels like), so I've very keen to see what the next gen has to offer.

I had high hopes before, but recent rumours were suggesting the performance increase from Nvidia won't be that significant :(

Touted as 15% for AMD and 25% for Nvidia...Take with a pinch of salt though and untill release, rumors will be rife.

Back
Top Bottom