Anyone used Air Canada?

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

As above really. Anyone flown with Air Canada recently? What did you make of it, any good or a hellish experience you never want to repeat again?

Associate
I flew with them to Vancouver last year. IMO they are better than virgin and ba for transatlantic flights. The only bad thing about them was that both the leaving and returning flights were slightly late departing (about an hour), but not sure if this was their fault or a problem that couldn't be helped in the airport. The planes are in much better condition than ba/ virgin, seats are far more comfortable and more leg room. Overall I thought they were really good. :)

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23828863 said:
Air Canada

I assume that it will be pretty much like American Airlines, except the crew will speak better English and weigh less, oh and they won't refer to you as an ay-rab for being foreign.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Economy? Their entertainment system is better than BAs. Otherwise they are all pretty much the same in economy flying that way IMO.

Caporegime
I flew with them to Vancouver last year. IMO they are better than virgin and ba for transatlantic flights. The only bad thing about them was that both the leaving and returning flights were slightly late departing (about an hour), but not sure if this was their fault or a problem that couldn't be helped in the airport. The planes are in much better condition than ba/ virgin, seats are far more comfortable and more leg room. Overall I thought they were really good. :)

This pretty much, ive been using them now for about 3 yrs and i actually prefer them over BA now.

olv

olv

Soldato
Pretty standard really when I've used them in the past. I flew last month with Air Transat who are very budget and there wasn't any meaningful difference in the service.

Soldato
Me and the gf flew with them last month to Vancouver, and also on up to Yukon. Can't help with comparison to other carriers as that is the first proper long haul trip I've done, however, customer service they were excellent at.

Flying up to Yukon we missed our flight as the package operators got the details wrong, at the airport they changed our flights with no complaints, no charges and no hassle at all. They were also really helpful on the way back with someone we'd met who didn't have their luggage properly sorted out by BA (connecting flight and picking up luggage etc).

Soldato
Haven't flown with them in a long time, but last time I did to Vancouver, the flight was so quiet that you could find an empty bank of four seats in the middle, put all the armrests up and get some sleep.

Man of Honour
I last used them about 18 months ago and the transatlantic flights were decent enough in economy although they're all much of a muchness. A number of years ago I had to take a few internal flights with Air Canada and 3 out of the 4 were late - not that it mattered much but it was a bit of an irritation. They may well have improved on that in the interim though. I'd certainly have no issues with using them again if the price was reasonable.

Man of Honour
OP
Excellent feedback, seems there is no real reason to avoid them. Considerably cheaper than BA (Infact I can fly to Australia for less than BA want to fly to Seattle or Vancouver).

Man of Honour
OP
Jealous, how much were your flights?

It seems like a bizarrely expensive place to get to - as I highlighted above its pretty much the same price as flying to Australia, which is just weird. Even Hawaii with BA is the same price :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;23829866 said:
Jealous, how much were your flights?

It seems like a bizarrely expensive place to get to - as I highlighted above its pretty much the same price as flying to Australia, which is just weird. Even Hawaii with BA is the same price :confused:

Flights to Vancouver have gone up significantly over a few years. About seven years ago, you could do it for about £400.

Man of Honour
OP
Flights to Vancouver have gone up significantly over a few years. About seven years ago, you could do it for about £400.

Yup, now its twice that. Which is just bizarre because numerous places further away - San Francisco, Los Angeles, Hawaii, Sydney, Perth, etc etc are the same price or cheaper.

Prices have risen across the board over the last 7 years but that corner of the world seems to be especially bad. Seattle is even worse.

Soldato
A direct flight that we booked back on the 15th of Jan cost use £800 each (both the Mrs and I are going), so a smack of 1600 to the savings account had to be made.

I'm pretty sure we saw it cheaper else where, but that would have been non direct flights with the possibility of stops overs for up to 6 hours which wouldn't have been good. I also think that it you fly out there mid week instead of the Sunday that we are, then it would probably also be cheaper.

Soldato
They're main stream and very generic airline.

So you won't have any surpises and everything will be standard just as you would expect.

All good stuff...also a member of Star Alliance and have plenty of Aircraft in their fleet.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm actually looking at doing it with stops to save a bit of money, I'm actually looking to fly to Seattle and Air Canada come out not the cheapest but with the best itiniary - changing planes in Vancouver on the way out and Calgary on the way back. Oddly it's cheaper than flying just to Vancouver, direct, but there we go.

I've put this trip off every year because the prices were disproportionately silly but I figure its never going to get any better so I'd give it a go this year.

They're main stream and very generic airline

Trouble is every airline on Transat with the exception of Air New Zealand fits this description. It's nothing like as nice as the choice of high quality carriers you get going via Asia.

Back
Top Bottom