Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
I'm making the switch from Be* after eight years. I'm anticipating that things won't be as smooth; especially with the 18 month lock-in, the larger number of customers and Plusnet's history. But I want some more speed, 16/2 doesn't cut it any longer.

Soldato
I'm making the switch from Be* after eight years. I'm anticipating that things won't be as smooth; especially with the 18 month lock-in, the larger number of customers and Plusnet's history. But I want some more speed, 16/2 doesn't cut it any longer.

Just moved from Be*, the process went very smoothly :)

Permabanned
Got mine switched on this morning. 30/15 at the minute. Hoping to see a boost to the download over the next couple of days as it stabalises (saw 68 on speedtest earlier, so it's doable). Also thinking of getting a modem / router combo to replace the default hardware. Anyone using a modem / router combo? I've been looking at the Billion BiPAC 8200N.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Got mine switched on this morning. 30/15 at the minute. Hoping to see a boost to the download over the next couple of days as it stabalises (saw 68 on speedtest earlier, so it's doable). Also thinking of getting a modem / router combo to replace the default hardware. Anyone using a modem / router combo? I've been looking at the Billion BiPAC 8200N.

Must be more than 35/15 if speedtest reported 68 down.

Get the IP profile info from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Permabanned
Must be more than 35/15 if speedtest reported 68 down.

Get the IP profile info from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

It's been bouncing around all day. Don't they do automated tests to see what your line will be stable at for a day or two? Right now I'm getting 64/10 over ethernet on the btwholesale site and 53/15 over wireless on speedtest.net. The earlier result of 68 was on speedtest.net over wireless as well.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
It's been bouncing around all day. Don't they do automated tests to see what your line will be stable at for a day or two? Right now I'm getting 64/10 over ethernet on the btwholesale site and 53/15 over wireless on speedtest.net. The earlier result of 68 was on speedtest.net over wireless as well.

The speed will be reduced if the line loses sync.

What's the IP profile? http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ & click Further Diagnostics

Soldato
Openreach engineer having DSLAM issue at my cabinet yesterday so installation flummoxed and I am now without even my old DSL connection until they sort it out. I is disappoint....big time! :(

Associate
Getting this installed on the 12th March no more crappy 1mb! :D

I have a question regarding installation, is it possible for the engineer to change the location of the master socket to a socket upstairs?

Soldato
Getting this installed on the 12th March no more crappy 1mb! :D

I have a question regarding installation, is it possible for the engineer to change the location of the master socket to a socket upstairs?

Possible, but not guaranteed. What would be involved in moving to where you'd like it (rhetorical question)?

Permabanned

According to the guy that installed the broadband here, the master socket was in the upstairs back bedroom so when the guy came out to do the FTTC work, I asked if he could put it downstairs. He said no problem. Snipped a few wires, redid it and that was that.

When Plusnet send you out your new router, there's a booklet that comes with it from Plusnet that talks about where you want the master socket placed, so it's part of the job the engineer is expected to perform if you want it I guess.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Just keep in mind that historically plusnet is the dirtiest player on ISP market and has a long and ugly history of overselling, limiting unlimited packages, shaping traffic, publicly shaming their own premium users into moving to other ISPs and ratting punters out to anyone who will ask. There are plenty of examples on ADSL forums of just how quickly plusnet management go back on their contracts and how ugly the fight gets once they start overselling their network capacity again and again.

Plusnet was one of the first, if not the first in UK to put asterisk next to "unlimited".

They were the first ISP in the country to introduce what was commonly known as "warez tax". Access to, let's call it, more shady parts of internet to anyone who was willing to pay a fee. Basically after several years of selling unlimited packages, at some point they just regrouped, blocked some ports, mostly P2P and incoming port 21, on all accounts and offer "unrestricted" package for extra fiver. This would unblock access to the notorious sharing ports and additionally allow access to plus.net's own binary usenet server.

Around 2005 they started overselling their infrastructure to n-th degree, and became one of the first British ISPs to invest in elacoya traffic shaping equipment to throttle users instead of expanding their connectivity. Almost overnight they went from selling unlimited packages with specifically enabled "alternative content" access to 50Gb cap, stopped syncing their binary server with Giganews and started sending warning emails to users.

They were the first ISP in UK to introduce multilevel peak and offpeak allowances and remove heavy downloaders (if downloads over 50Gb a month could be called heavy). The brown, silver and gold traffic shaping "queues" as they called them, with separate SUP, FUP and throttle setting on each.

What I'm saying is - regardless what PlusNet advertises now, just be aware that for the past decade there is no such thing as anything "unlimited" on their network. Not for long enough to set precedence anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well if they do change terms on my contract (once Openreach sort out the installation!) then I'll be able to leave and go to another supplier. I can't see them kicking people off their fibre unlimited package for 50Gb, that would get used up in no time.

Associate
v0n is absolutely right. I was with them briefly before ADSL and they stank just as bad as a dial up provider.

Be are going and I'm not staying around to be put onto Sky. But where to go? I do want fibre now, but the cab is a fair distance away and 25/5 is the estimated line speed, so not blisteringly fast but better than the 10/1 we get now.

Plusnet are tempting us in with their £19.99 a month, though I won't have line rental with them, and an 18 month contract is a big danger sign.

Time to do some serious comparisons, Plusnet, Sky, BT or TalkTalk won't be in the running whatever the carrot.

Back
Top Bottom