Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Due to the limited RAM on the RPi then compiling large projects usually won't work, but the 512MB RPi has a better chance then the 256MB RPi.

Any reason why you're looking to compile it rather than use pre-built packages?

Soldato
Due to the limited RAM on the RPi then compiling large projects usually won't work, but the 512MB RPi has a better chance then the 256MB RPi.

Any reason why you're looking to compile it rather than use pre-built packages?

Are there any ARM-based versions of Libre that I can use freely?

Associate
I'm seriously considering one of these, as I'm sick of my not-so-smart TV and Blu-ray player being picky about media types. All I want it to do is access my Synology NAS and browse the Internet whilst plugged into and fixed to the back of the TV. I'm assuming this is possible, I've done a bit of research and Raspbian sounds like a good start. Can this run XBMC as a media centre type application? Can anyone recommend a better solution / Linux version?

Thanks in advance...

Associate
I'm seriously considering one of these, as I'm sick of my not-so-smart TV and Blu-ray player being picky about media types. All I want it to do is access my Synology NAS and browse the Internet whilst plugged into and fixed to the back of the TV. I'm assuming this is possible, I've done a bit of research and Raspbian sounds like a good start. Can this run XBMC as a media centre type application? Can anyone recommend a better solution / Linux version?

Thanks in advance...

This was exactly my situation. Synology Nas and fussy tv/blu ray regarding media types. Bought a RPi back in August last year and have run RaspBMC ever since. Plays from my Nas, AirPlay from idevices, add ons like iplayer, 4od, tvcatchup etc etc. RaspBMC would be the software you looking for, booting straight to a nice interface. You can do the raspian route too and have desktop but it's more effort.

Soldato
I'm looking at setting one of these up for watching Netflix/Love film, youtube etc etc.

Would I be able to also, get say a 32GB sd card & store movies on that as well as streaming as I'm unsure if it will stream netflix quite well? I've followed the production of the Pi but since not looked at it, so unsure what it's truely capable of. So in short I'd wanna do something along the lines of -

Raspberry Pi 512MB version
XMBC Operating System (Or other to have netflix...)
Ability to Stream Netflix & Youtube
Store movies to watch

^ Is this possible?

I see that some tweaks will be needed, which should be fun!

Soldato
Just a few questions before i buy one of these little beauties :)

Will it play files locally from a external hard drive fine? Even 1080p? Also what quality limit of videos are we looking at to get smooth play back via streaming?

Cheers :)

Soldato
Just a few questions before i buy one of these little beauties :)

Will it play files locally from a external hard drive fine? Even 1080p? Also what quality limit of videos are we looking at to get smooth play back via streaming?

Cheers :)

I have found at stock it cannot play some 1080p videos without dropping frames, however once I have overclocked mine it now plays every 1080p video even 30+Gb VC1 over samba.

Soldato
Awesome. I'm sick and tired of using laptops and other cheap media players which just give me loads of hassle.

I bought a HTC media link and that was the biggest waste of £50 ever :o

Soldato
How do you get spdif as hdmi doesn't pass it on to amp from tv and amp doesn't have hdmi?

Looking for a cheap solution or nothing, is it possible to take a hdmi cable and cut it up so the wire carrying spdif connects to amp?

You could try the ViewHD Premium HDMI to HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA L / R) Audio Extractor | Converter

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom