Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
That's probably 24/7 for the last 1-2 months maximum.

I'll be ordering an additional 3 2TB WD Red's shortly so i'll give it a good clean out with compressed air - Need to upgrade USB boot drive as well so will do it all at the same time.

Associate
If you monitor has hdmi with built in speakers then all you need is a graphics card with hdmi out, if not then the Asus Xonar DGX will happily fit in the pcix x1 slot.

If your not getting sound over hdmi then make sure your sound output device is set to hdmi

Soldato
Hi all,

I need to try and boost the network performance of the microserver I have, I'm running ESXi 5 but I seem to be getting a bottle neck still after playing around with BIOS, what's the best NIC to get for this? Be is single gigabit or dual/quad?

Soldato
Hey guys - i've recently had an issue which has resulted in 688 GB of corrupt data (partly due to me not being vigilent!)

Basically I was copying data to a 3 TB drive that was hooked up to the eSATA port. Turns out I don't think it hadn't properly detected the full size of the drive, as a result I think it partially overwrote a lot of existing data on the drive.

Seems a bit odd, as when I hook the drive up internally, it's detected fine - so i'm guessing the eSATA port uses a different controller?

Does anyone know if there's any drivers I need to install to correct this, or is there a BIOS update? (I can't see any specific BIOS revisions on the HP site, just the updater tool?)

Thanks in advance!

(Don't forget to backup, people!) :D

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

I need to try and boost the network performance of the microserver I have, I'm running ESXi 5 but I seem to be getting a bottle neck still after playing around with BIOS, what's the best NIC to get for this? Be is single gigabit or dual/quad?

I'd stick with the Intel cards, be that single, dual or quad.

I've recently changed to an Intel Gigabit PRO/ 1000 CT and the transfers do seem better.

Associate
I've got my microserver all geared up to use FreeNAS8.2, which is fired up from a USB stick, and my 4 2TB drives are pooled using ZFS Raid Z. Have setup my volumes, accounts and shares on FreeNAS, and have successfully published the CIFS to my home-networked W7 PCs & laptops either via wired or wireless connections. Which means I can now stream to these devices.

however, what I really want to do is stream to my Samsung Smart TV. And even though it can see Networks from my PC & Laptops, as well as AllShares, it can't pick up the FreeNAS network, which is a really bummer quite frankly.

The TV is using a wireless dongle and is successfully locked onto my network, so it can see almost everything I want it to see apart from FreeNAS! The obvious question here is, am I missing something? Permissions perhaps? Drivers? Any help would be very welcome. Thanks :)

Soldato
I've got my microserver all geared up to use FreeNAS8.2, which is fired up from a USB stick, and my 4 2TB drives are pooled using ZFS Raid Z. Have setup my volumes, accounts and shares on FreeNAS, and have successfully published the CIFS to my home-networked W7 PCs & laptops either via wired or wireless connections. Which means I can now stream to these devices.

however, what I really want to do is stream to my Samsung Smart TV. And even though it can see Networks from my PC & Laptops, as well as AllShares, it can't pick up the FreeNAS network, which is a really bummer quite frankly.

The TV is using a wireless dongle and is successfully locked onto my network, so it can see almost everything I want it to see apart from FreeNAS! The obvious question here is, am I missing something? Permissions perhaps? Drivers? Any help would be very welcome. Thanks :)

You might need some kind of SMB (Samba) or DLNA type add on for FreeNas (if it has it). I'm not a freenas user so I don't know, but I suspect its lack of appropriate protocol that is causing the TV to not see the FreeNas stuff

Soldato
I am after a Microserver for a small business set-up, I see the cashback offer is about but only £50? I'm thinking of just getting one of the NL40's

Unless anyone can spot anymore deals about..

Back
Top Bottom