GoPro 3

Caporegime
What I'd prefer to you would be a small monopod with a tripod mount (can make yourself easily if you don't want to buy the GoPro one)... as long as you can find a monopod that would be ok with a bit of water... can't see a problem.

The trouble with the wrist housing from what I've read is it's a bit limited to the direction you can have the housing...

I see, hmm. Maybe a small cheap monopod (ultimately saltwater kills everything so might as well get as cheap as possible) would be better with a lanyard/wrist attachment of sorts so if I need to use my hands I can drop it and not let it go to its doom.

I feel a homebrew mount coming up :)

Associate
I've been swimming with my GoPro (with helmet mount) strapped to a wooden cooking spoon. It works really well and you can remove and spin the camera round to film yourself or ahead. When I do it again I'll flip the video in the camera and use the camera hanging upside down as it's more balanced hanging down, should hopefully be more stable (for filming forward obviously).

Have you considered a head mount of some sort? You'd have both hands free then.

Soldato
Hey sorry for a slight thread hijack - but I appreciate any input if you don't mind.

I'm borrowing a GoPro 3 'Black' for my holiday in 2 weeks, I intend to take it scuba diving, I'll pick up a wrist strap in the next week or so.

The case says Watertight to 60m....has anyone ever put this to the test? I intend on taking it down to approx 30m but I want to be sure :)

Thanks in advance!
Jake

Professional diver here :D

I take my GoPro on pretty much every dive I do, they are great things. The deepest I have take it to is 41 meters and it is absolutely fine, the case is very strong.

As for mounting it on something the best thing is something like this:

http://www.xsories.eu/big-ushot2.html

They are great & very resistant to the salt water. They offer the most stable platform and you will be able to get the GoPro much closer to any fish & critters for some awesome shots.

Obviously with taking a camera under water, red is the first colour to go so a red filter makes footage 10 times better but is costly as you need an after market housing.

http://www.backscatter.com/sku/bs-gpuw.lasso

Anyway, have a few pictures :)

PoseidonsRetreat6613MarkFB.jpg

That is the exit of one of my favorite caves out here, pitch black in side with a lot of nice small spaces to squeeze in to and thousands of little shrimps :D

The exit is at about 22m half way down a cliff which drops down to 35-40m, with the entrance at 7m on the top of the cliff, awesome dive!

Last edited:
Soldato
The case says Watertight to 60m....has anyone ever put this to the test? I intend on taking it down to approx 30m but I want to be sure :)

Thanks in advance!
Jake

Yea ive tested the hero 2 housing out at 58m and was no problem at all. Know people that have had at 70m+ with no problems.

Soldato
If you have any doubt on your first dive take just the housing in with some tissue paper in it. Will be easy to tell if its water tight or not. I do this anytime im using a new housing.

You should always do that anyway when using housing for the first time.

Fantastic. Thanks for the info :)

Shall post some stills/video when I get back :D

No problem.

Better had do! :D

Man of Honour
I've heard that the hero3 has a fair bit of software issues, is this the case or just over hyped?
Or is there other cameras on a similar level and GoPro is just the most well knowen?

Soldato
I've heard that the hero3 has a fair bit of software issues, is this the case or just over hyped?
Or is there other cameras on a similar level and GoPro is just the most well knowen?

When it was first released there were a lot of problems but GoPro have released a big update, no issues now.

Man of Honour
It's only 1080p isn't it?
Or is there now an even newer one than the HD hero 3 black edition.

Oh yeah it does support 4k, assumed 1080p was highest as that's the main advertised one, until you dig in the specs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Found this, does this sound about right?

4K-15 (protune): 3.2 hrs @ 45 Mbps
4K-cin-12 (protune): 3.2 hrs @ 45 Mbps
2.7k cin-24: 3.2 hrs @ 45Mbps
2.7k-30: 3.2 hrs @ 45 Mbps
1080-60: 4.8 hrs @ 30 Mbps
1080-48: 4.8 hrs @ 30Mbps
1080-30: 7.2 hrs @ 20 Mbps
1080-24: 4.8 hrs @ 30 Mbps
1440-48: 4.8 hrs @ 30 Mbps
1440-30: 7.2 hrs @ 20 Mbps
1440-24: 4.8 hrs @ 30 Mbps
960-100: 4.8 hrs @ 30 Mbps
960-48: 4.8 hrs @ 30 Mbps
720-120: 4.8 hrs @ 30 Mbps
720-60: 7.2 hrs @ 20 Mbpswvga-240: 4.8 hrs @ 30 Mbps

But then what's the battery life like? Can you hook up external batteries?

I don't need a high frame rate, can you set it to take pictures every x-seconds.

Doing other things but the big one, is climbing Kilimanjaro next year, and would like to film the entire hike, then speed it up to say 30min or so video.

Last edited:
Soldato
2.5hrs of 1080p/25 footage took up 19.6GB, going from my trackday on Friday. It can take a 64GB card, so very roughly 7.5hrs-ish on a 64GB card, but you'll also need a fair few batteries, since they only last about 1.5hrs each. I got 2 from eBay for £12 delivered and they last as good as the original.

Man of Honour
Doesn't really say much though about bit rate or battery life, well something on battery life.
Looking on youtube even a 30second time lapse, with wifi off, lasted under 2hours.

Back
Top Bottom