How much do you care what other people think?

Soldato
Do you let what other people think affect your decisions in life?

Like what you wear, what you buy, who you go out with etc?

Personally I think I do sometimes.

I might like certain clothes or styles but I'd not dare buy them because people might think I look crap.

I want to get my teeth straightened eventually through a mix of vanity and other people's perceptions.

There are lots of times I base decision on the response of my peers I guess.

So how about you?

Man of Honour
I take opinions and thoughts into account when I make decisions, but I don't really mind what people think of me.

Certainly not for what I wear, etc.

Permabanned
I think not caring about what other people think is a privilege that comes with age. I have to care what my boss, my clients, my peers etc think of me at least to some degree because they will all impact me in some way.

Soldato
I think not caring about what other people think is a privilege that comes with age. I have to care what my boss, my clients, my peers etc think of me at least to some degree because they will all impact me in some way.

This is about right.

When I was younger I used to care so much about what people thought, that I cultivated an image that showed how little I cared about what they thought. Now I just do what I want. Certainly I still care what my peers think of me, but not enough to modify my actions, beliefs, or clothing!

Soldato
When I was younger before the age of 15 I cared way too much what other people thought of me, like many kids do at that age I suppose.

After that I kind of found my core and started caring only about the opinions of those people I deemed important, and I became 100% happier and cooler also :D

Soldato
Consciously or sub-consciously?, as on a conscious level I'd like to think I'm quite good as resisting the social norms & pressures & act in such a way which is true to myself.

On a sub-concious level my behaviour is most likely being altered by others social expectations & perceptions far more than I'm aware of.

Some really interesting videos on conformity & group-think - highlighting how much our actual perceptions are changed by the views/attitudes of others.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Certain people I care about what they have to say about me. As they know me, and their opinion or critique or compliment is one that is more important to me.

As for strangers? Not really, but I try and treat people as to how I expect to be treated, so in general I seldom have any problems.

We judge, that's what we as humans do. We evaluate our peers and make both a conscious and subconscious decision on them.

We all have our own standards and opinions and experiences that help to forge what we make of the world.

It depends how much you fold to peer pressure. I'd like to think I'm fairly confident and strong in my own personality not to have it bother me too much or let others make decisions for me. However, sometimes, you do duck out or keep a low profile so that you do not stand out.

Back
Top Bottom