• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Associate
The card comes in quiet mode from reading around so flip the bios switch then reboot for uber mode.

its just a bios switch with a different fan profile you can adjust the fan profile in catalyst overdrive. the whole uber/silent mode confuses me. especially now since the switch just switches between an asus and sapphire bios for me. i think the way it works is if you never unlock overdrive from catalyst cc then it will default to 40% fan on one side(silent) and 55% on the other side(uber). but if you unlock overdrive then you can adjust fan and target temperature. so switching is not really needed anymore. thats just my experience there could be more to it.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I switched to Uber mode, now both cards seem to be utilised but I am getting flickering corruption (with no overclock) and also my afterburner gpu usage looks like this:

I am pretty sure with the 780s the gpu usage was never up and down like that, they would be flat lines towards the top. Is this right?

It still feels a bit stuttery to me and nowhere near as smooth as my nvidia cards.

Associate
Just replaced 3 x GTX Titan SCs with 3 x R9-290Xs, performance is slightly less (marginal), noise is about the same, temps are higher but not by much, power draw higher (power supply handles easily).
The reason for for switching, which all the reviewers/commentators haven't mentioned, is that the Titan cards at present do not output a native MST signal at startup and therefore could not boot my 4K monitor @60Hz, they do run 60Hz but have to start @ 30Hz and then adjust monitor to 60Hz after boot. The R9-290X cards boot @ 60Hz and everything runs just as it does on the Titans. I found both the Nvidia and AMD cards excellent and both easily run all games @ 4K.

Caporegime
Just replaced 3 x GTX Titan SCs with 3 x R9-290Xs, performance is slightly less (marginal), noise is about the same, temps are higher but not by much, power draw higher (power supply handles easily).
The reason for for switching, which all the reviewers/commentators haven't mentioned, is that the Titan cards at present do not output a native MST signal at startup and therefore could not boot my 4K monitor @60Hz, they do run 60Hz but have to start @ 30Hz and then adjust monitor to 60Hz after boot. The R9-290X cards boot @ 60Hz and everything runs just as it does on the Titans. I found both the Nvidia and AMD cards excellent and both easily run all games @ 4K.

Good to hear and good feedback.

For what its worth the 290X seems to have the edge at higher resolutions, assuming you don't run out of vram. :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Show off... :D

I'll be stuck at 2.1 :(

Finished - took just under 30mins :eek:

3065959210.png

Last edited:
Associate
I'll expand on my comment "performance is slightly less (marginal)".
R9-290X cards fitted, set to uber mobe and computer booted with monitor @60Hz, driver would install from disc so latest beta 6 driver downloaded and installed, computer then soak tested for 24 hours with no problems. after this firestrike run and scored 21683. The same procedure in may this year with my titan cards scored 21696. As you can see these scores were both with relatively new drivers at launch and do then improve as new drivers are optimised. The R9-290Xs are fast and expected to go faster.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'll expand on my comment "performance is slightly less (marginal)".
R9-290X cards fitted, set to uber mobe and computer booted with monitor @60Hz, driver would install from disc so latest beta 6 driver downloaded and installed, computer then soak tested for 24 hours with no problems. after this firestrike run and scored 21683. The same procedure in may this year with my titan cards scored 21696. As you can see these scores were both with relatively new drivers at launch and do then improve as new drivers are optimised. The R9-290Xs are fast and expected to go faster.

try beta7 - better in crossfire I believe, came out last night.

Feature Highlights of The AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta7 Driver for Windows
​Includes all Feature Highlights of the AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta6
Increases AMD CrossFire​™​ scaling up to an additional 20% for Battlefield 4

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD_Catalyst_13.11_BetaV7.exe

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Last edited:
Associate
Dude having problems try disabling ULPS via afterburner. That's all ive got for now, aside from potential throttling which would cause variable gpu usage on Tahiti.

Thanks, I am wondering if it is a driver problem or something I might try a fresh install as I am using win 8.1 at the moment, maybe try win 7, it's weird though as it seems the gpu's dip down to 0 and then back up to 100 all the time.

Soldato
Thinking of ordering 290x I CF some questions though.
1. I haven't got a CF bridge does the gpus come with one?
2. When putting the fan speed to quiet mode does it lower any of the settings like the clock speed etc.
3. what temps is too high?

Back
Top Bottom