Steam Halloween sale

Associate
I'm not usually one for "+1" style posts but I'd echo all of the above. If you buy one game this sale, make it Vampire Bloodlines. The dialogue and writing is great, it is one of those games where you want to explore every conversation arc and the whole thing has a certain atmosphere that has rarely been equalled in PC gaming. I would rate it as a good as anything I've played from Bioware/Bethesda.

BUY BLOODLINES.

+1

I'll have a proper look through the list later as I'm sure I have a lot of them. I'll share my opinion on what I can. In the meantime everyone should be following the giant instructions above to the letter. Keep in mind, if you fail the watchers will rappel in through your closed window, slap your face, throw steaming bovril into your front intake then slam your fingers shut in a drawer.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I'm not usually one for "+1" style posts but I'd echo all of the above. If you buy one game this sale, make it Vampire Bloodlines. The dialogue and writing is great, it is one of those games where you want to explore every conversation arc and the whole thing has a certain atmosphere that has rarely been equalled in PC gaming. I would rate it as a good as anything I've played from Bioware/Bethesda.

BUY BLOODLINES.

Bought it when it came out. Tried twice to get into it, just couldn't.

Associate
Bought it when it came out. Tried twice to get into it, just couldn't.

I'm sure I felt the same way and didn't revisit it till years later. There's a great community patch or two to use these days. If I remember there is two guys/gals/groups maintaining different extensive patches of fixes and finishes to game mechanics the devs never had a chance to complete.

I rank it alongside stuff like Deus Ex, Bioshock, System Shock 2, Dishonored, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It's that good.

Soldato
Whilst FO3 is a very good game, it is not great compared to New Vegas. NV has much more of the original Fallout feel to it, and even has some links through NPCs and quests. It does a much better job of a 'Fallout game' than FO3 does...it has a lot more of the humour and general atmosphere.

This is a perfect summary although I'd grab both tbh. 3 is still a great game.

Associate
I haven't seen whether it's in the sale or even on Steam, but it's fitting for halloween... I'd recommend The Cat Lady, it's pretty much a point and click adventure but it's side-scrolling rather than actual pointing and clicking. It's VERY disturbing and atmospheric, and a bit scary at times.

Permabanned
I haven't seen whether it's in the sale or even on Steam, but it's fitting for halloween... I'd recommend The Cat Lady, it's pretty much a point and click adventure but it's side-scrolling rather than actual pointing and clicking. It's VERY disturbing and atmospheric, and a bit scary at times.

Just got this actually, I have heard the story is pretty amazing on it.

BUY BLOODLINES.

Yeah, totally agree, thanks.

For anyone buying, just install the unofficial patch and you're good to go. The game is severely broken in some areas due to Activation making the dev rush out the game, but now that they are closes down due to the game being rushed, there hasn't been any updates. The unofficial patch fixes a lot of the bugs in glitches found in the game, and makes it feel like a cohesive, full experience.

So pick it up already! :D

Capodecina
Soldato
OP

Some great reviews of this and 83% on meta. Thanks for the recommendation.

Associate
I bought the following;

F.E.A.R. Collection | Rise of the Triad | Silent Hill Homecoming | Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition | The Next BIG Thing | Dark Fall: Lost Souls | Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point | Alice: Madness Returns | Painkiller Complete Pack

Caporegime
I'll get Triad and one or two others, though I may wait to see if they come down further in price, like at the very end of the sale?

Associate
got typing of the dead from GMG

Literally just finished doing the same thing.

Ok, essential purchases from the Halloween sale.

Sleeping Dogs.

Ridiculously good combat. Great voice acting. Brilliant scenes if not a mind blowing overall story.

I've never played an open world Theft 'Em Up that made me feel like a horrible person before. It's simply a case of the main character being a policeman operating on both sides of the law and the usual freedoms given in this type of game. Like being able to run up to a woman, chop her in the throat, break her leg, steal her handbag and then drive off shooting a pistol out the window of a squad car.

I had very strong feelings of Bad Lieutenant playing this, then of course there is all the classic Hong Kong action cinema references and general vibe. The driving mechanics might not be the best but considering the rest of the game buries it's peers, I can take some average to good driving.

I would recommend the triad enforcer and wheels of fury DLCs. The former gives you a fancy dragon decal on a pimped out version of an already decent car but more importantly, it has a golden meat cleaver in the boot. I can't put into words how deliciously psychotic it feels parking up, going round the pack and opening the boot, then charging into a group of armed triads.

Wheels of Fury gets you maybe the best car I've seen in a game of this kind, by the time you have unlocked it, you feel you have progressed from relentlessly violent shady cop to criminal mastermind that would give darth vader a run for his sinister and merciless money. Driving a car that is a cross between the Knight Industries Two Thousand and ED-209 helps with this

Darksiders/Darksiders 2

In short one of the best new IPs of this generation and we were lucky we didn't need to own a console to play them.

If you liked Zelda but wished it was more violent, a bit mental and made with manly men in mind, this is the one for you. It's got just enough puzzles to keep you from getting desensitised to the manly, steroid fueled, hairy-sacked barbarism.

Plenty of content. Excellent art direction. Bananas story(that makes sense sort of) and you get to play two of the four horsemen of the apocalypse

Don't Starve

Probably the best procedurally generated permadeath survival game I have played. I've played a few.

The devs and their commitment to this game borders on the foolish. A barrage of support, new content, tweaks and this halloween a whole new Alan Wake inspired third person horror mode. You get a countdown to the next update on the main menu and without fail they deliver something new and wonderful every few weeks and don't ask for a penny.

The amount of "stuff" in the game is literally mind boggling. It's best played as blind as you can, it truly is an adventure of discovery. I would only seek out a guide if I hit a brick wall or the period of bewilderment outstayed it's welcome.

Oh and great mods and modding support from the devs. Steam Workshop to boot. Want to not Starve as Jason Voorhees or Wolverine, download them via steam. The game (at least the way I play it) is totally modular. I would be happy to recommend mods to anyone interested.

Space Pirates and Zombies aka SPAZ

An excellent top down space shooter tactical RPG. I could babble on but this Post Mortem from one of the devs is far more interesting and well written.

Associate
Some really good stuff on sale.

Fancied a point and click so just bought Edna and Harvey : Harvey's New Eyes, looks nicely weird. I liked the look of the 1st Edna and Harvey one but only a small % off the price of that one strangely.

Back
Top Bottom