*** The 2013 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
I saw a guy wearing a belt this morning whilst doing dips... (No chains for hanging weights either before one of you sarcastic sods say. :p) Brace that dipping core y0!?

Man of Honour
It depends on whether you mind spending the money or not. I'd always just choose more food, there are lots of ways to add calories through bigger meals of snacks. It's also good practice because it forces you to think about the food you're eating, which is essential as a beginner.

Soldato
It depends on whether you mind spending the money or not. I'd always just choose more food, there are lots of ways to add calories through bigger meals of snacks. It's also good practice because it forces you to think about the food you're eating, which is essential as a beginner.

Very true. Could you point me in the right direction to some sort of guide for meal plans?

Soldato
K guys! this routine.. going to give it a shot for a few months see how I like it.

its a 3 day split, but I feel like something is missing so your help is appreciated here! need to get it well balanced

day 1 - legs

squats - 8x3
stiff leg deads - 8x3
leg press - 8x3
extensions - 8x3
curls - 8x3
calf raise - 8x3

day 2 - chest, back, traps

bb shrugs 10x3
BP - 8x3
incline BP - 8x3
deads - 10x3
dumbbell rows 10x3
dumbbell flies - 8x3
widegrip pull ups - AMAP

day 3 -shoulders, triceps, biceps

bent over leteral raises - 8x3
bb curls - 10x3
CGBP - 10x3
dumbbell lateral raises - 8x3
seated dumbbell curls - 10x3
shoulder press - 10x3

anything to add?

Last edited:
Associate
K guys! this routine.. going to give it a shot for a few months see how I like it.

its a 3 day split, but I feel like something is missing so your help is appreciated here! need to get it well balanced

day 1 - legs

squats - 8x3
stiff leg deads - 8x3
leg press - 8x3
extensions - 8x3
curls - 8x3
calf raise - 8x3

bb shrugs 10x3
BP - 8x3
incline BP - 8x3
deads - 10x3
dumbbell rows 10x3
dumbbell flies - 8x3
widegrip pull ups - AMAP

bent over leteral raises - 8x3
bb curls - 10x3
CGBP - 10x3
dumbbell lateral raises - 8x3
seated dumbbell curls - 10x3
shoulder press - 10x3

anything to add?

Not too bad, a few quick things I'd change:

- Swap day 1 and day 2 around so there's a bigger gap in between chest and shoulders/arms.
- Day 2, do shrugs last if you want them in.
- Day 2, do flies after incline BP
- Day 3, I'd do all shoulder exercises first.

Man of Honour
I don't like any of that routine.

Leg day has low volume.

Chest and back is quite a lot to in one session but it can work with the right volume, which there isn't here. Also, why, of all the exercises there, are deadlifts 10 reps? Way too high.

Shoulders and arms day is ok, but the volume is too low and you have no tricep isolation.

Very true. Could you point me in the right direction to some sort of guide for meal plans?
You should find what you need in the threads linked from the sticky thread at the top of the page.

Man of Honour
I would call 8x3 low volume for squats, and the reps are too low on the assistance exercises. There should be almost no strength component to curls or extensions, for example.

Oh, and romanian deadlifts over stiff leg deadlifts every time.

Soldato
cool, thanks! how does this look - going for rep goal over 3 sets, set number of reps with a goal of increasing weight as soon as I manage to do the full number of reps thorough the exercise -;

day 1 - legs

squats - rep goal 40 - over 4 sets
stiff leg deads - rep goal 25
leg press - rep goal 50
calf raise - rep goal 40
extensions - rep goal 40
curls - rep goal 40

BP - rep goal 25
incline BP - rep goal 30
dumbbell flies - rep goal 40
dumbbell rows - rep goal 30
deads - rep goal 30 over 5 sets
bb shrugs - rep goal 30
widegrip pull ups - AMAP

bent over leteral raises - rep goal 40
bb curls - rep goal 30
CGBP - rep goal 30
dumbbell lateral raises - rep goal 40
seated dumbbell curls - rep goal 30
shoulder press - rep goal 25

feel free to give advice on the rep range here! :) also why Romanian deadlifts over stiff leg? whats the benefit if you don't mind me asking? and 3x8(sorry) rep/set range is quite common what was wrong with it? - as you can see I kept it with the rep goal approach anyway

EDEEET.. gave that leg day a shot tonight and tbh I don't like it.. feels wrong especially leg curls like what the hell.. I feel as If my knees will pop out hate the movement, can't see much benefit tbh.. I'm not a fan of machines generally so I've mashed a new one together.. how does this look for a leg day -;

squats - 4 sets 4-6 reps each
front squats - 4 sets 5 reps each
dumbbell lunges - 4 sets 12 reps
leg press - 3 sets 12 reps each
leg extensions - 4 sets 12 reps
smith calf raises - 4 sets 12 reps each

feedback on this?

Last edited:
Soldato
Back squats 5*5, front squats 5*5, bulgarian split squats 3*10? I like doing compound stuff over extension machines for example. Then some element of calves if you feel the need.

Soldato
squats - 4 sets 20 reps each
front squats - 4 sets 20 reps each
dumbbell lunges - 4 sets 20 reps
leg press - 3 sets 20 reps each
leg extensions - 4 sets 20 reps
smith calf raises - 4 sets 20 reps each
RDL's - 4 sets 2- reps each

Fixed :) do you even hamstring?

semi-srs.

Soldato
Fixed :) do you even hamstring?

semi-srs.

semi-srs? I'd be pushing 60-70kg on squats with that volume :O

To be fair, if he is low-bar squatting, hamstrings get worked much more.

My leg hypertrophiez routine would probably involve something like...

Front squats 10-10-8-8
RDLs 4*6
Deficit Bulgarian split squats 4*10

And then die. :cool:

I do high bar squats, so I do need some action when it comes to hamstrings.. I guess RDL's will hit them hard enough!

so something like -;

squats - 4 sets 10 reps each
front squats - 4 sets 10 reps each
Deficit Bulgarian split squats 4*10
leg extensions - 4 sets 15 reps
smith calf raises - 4 sets 20 reps each
RDL's - 4 sets 4- reps each

feels like I'm going in circles here, I do want a workout to hit my legs as hard as possible during that one day thorough the week. Getting perfect balance seems hard but what I have above looks brutal :eek:

mrthingyx - you love leg workouts no? what do you think of the above?

thanks for replies by the way!

Man of Honour
With a routine as brutal as that, I suspect you will struggle to get the full potential out of the split squats and RDLs initially (ignoring the extensions and calf raises because...) as you will be bushed.

Front squats are reasonably similar to high bar in terms of the stress they put on your legs, so I would see how you cope with that ordering and volume. I have done front -> high bar before and it is horrific: the sort of volume you are talking about will mean you may actually struggle to walk out the gym... Before you even get to the accessory work! :cool: Which means it will be awesome

To cope with this, I would strongly recommend you take in something really sugary to rehydrate: whilst some may disagree, I found that my longer. Olympic listing sessions have been made a lot more tolerable by consuming a load of sugar mid-workout.

The RDLs and split squats will have you truly ruined by the end of this session if you get them right and proper: I look forward to seeing your reports of your perspective on stairs... And that's assuming the weakness doesn't leave your body after the split squats.

Enjoy! ;)

Back
Top Bottom