*** The iPad Air thread ***

Associate
Well after trying out an air in a retailer named after an Indian food, I'm not overly impressed. The screen was even bendier than I feared. Maybe I'm heavy handed, but there was noticeable deformation with anything more than a quick tap. The fact you can bend it enough to touch the LCD is also a bit of a worry.

I'm seriously considering getting a 4 instead, which is a bit depressing. Still, I have found one for £100 cheaper than the air which lessens the blow.

Caporegime
OP
Well after trying out an air in a retailer named after an Indian food, I'm not overly impressed. The screen was even bendier than I feared. Maybe I'm heavy handed, but there was noticeable deformation with anything more than a quick tap. The fact you can bend it enough to touch the LCD is also a bit of a worry.

I'm seriously considering getting a 4 instead, which is a bit depressing. Still, I have found one for £100 cheaper than the air which lessens the blow.

You must be tapping seriously hard! My fingers glide over it with no problems whatsoever and I actually like the resounding thunk it gives when you tap.

Only problem I'm having (and I've had it since launch day) is that lately the App Store keeps popping up randomly advertising that empire four kingdoms game that's always on TV. Getting on my nerves badly.

Associate
Well, I tried the air a second time, still didn't like it, and bought an ipad 4 instead. It's still much faster than the 3 and the build quality is (IMO) much better. Hopefully the air '2' will address some of the '1's' shortcomings.

Associate
You must be seriously heavy handed, you do know it isn't pressure sensitive so you don't need to punch the screen for it to register a tap? :p

Associate
It's a combination of things. Firstly, the screen feels cheap; plasticky. The previous generations had much sturdier glass that, to the touch, just felt 'better' in terms of quality. I've not treated my 3 as well as I should have, and I've never used a screen protector, but a year and a half down the line it's still in pristine condition. I have very little faith that the air's glass could weather the same. And no, I'm not stabbing my fingers at the screen with any more force than is necessary, but when playing something that requires constant thumb engagement, excitement can result in excess skin-to-device pressure. 'Then', the bend becomes worryingly apparent.

Then there's the hollow tapping sounds when typing. True, that's more of an irritation than anything, but it's detrimental to the overall experience.

Thirdly is the 'air' gap between the screen and the glass. It's not much, granted, but it's enough to shatter the illusion that the glass 'is' the screen. Instead you're made very aware that it's just a barrier between you and whatever exciting things are happening underneath.

I've tried to like it; buying a four has left a sour taste in my mouth for all of the logical reasons. It's even sat on my desk still fully boxed! Maybe I'll have a change of heart and return the 4 still, but I'm not holding my breath.

Associate
It's a combination of things. Firstly, the screen feels cheap; plasticky. The previous generations had much sturdier glass that, to the touch, just felt 'better' in terms of quality. I've not treated my 3 as well as I should have, and I've never used a screen protector, but a year and a half down the line it's still in pristine condition. I have very little faith that the air's glass could weather the same. And no, I'm not stabbing my fingers at the screen with any more force than is necessary, but when playing something that requires constant thumb engagement, excitement can result in excess skin-to-device pressure. 'Then', the bend becomes worryingly apparent.

Then there's the hollow tapping sounds when typing. True, that's more of an irritation than anything, but it's detrimental to the overall experience.

Thirdly is the 'air' gap between the screen and the glass. It's not much, granted, but it's enough to shatter the illusion that the glass 'is' the screen. Instead you're made very aware that it's just a barrier between you and whatever exciting things are happening underneath.

I've tried to like it; buying a four has left a sour taste in my mouth for all of the logical reasons. It's even sat on my desk still fully boxed! Maybe I'll have a change of heart and return the 4 still, but I'm not holding my breath.

Owned an Air since launch :

Simply the changes are to stop people having to carry a Brick when they want a tablet.

Associate
Owned an Air since launch :

Simply the changes are to stop people having to carry a Brick when they want a tablet.

Maybe that's the problem. I like the old form factor. In fact, all I want is the new hardware under the hood of the air. My ideal iPad would be air innards, 4 outards.

Soldato
Double press the home button, then swipe upwards to close open apps.

Interesting, it would appear every app that was ever opend since we bought this launch ipad air is open and in that tab.
Even after shutdowns reboots relogs and upgrades to the os.
Anyway shut a load of them.

Does ios not shut anything down by itself?

Associate
Interesting, it would appear every app that was ever opend since we bought this launch ipad air is open and in that tab.
Even after shutdowns reboots relogs and upgrades to the os.
Anyway shut a load of them.

Does ios not shut anything down by itself?

It does, as and when it needs to. It's not something you need to worry about :)

Soldato
I think IOS7.1 is going to fix the safari bug. I've been running the various betas and the crash to desktop has all but gone now.

Soldato
I do hope it arrives soon.
unfortunately, I think it is more than Safari, as we get the crash to tablettop in several apps. One can run our years old ipad 2 and the air beside one another, in the same apps, doing the same thing, albeit slower on the 2, and watch the air stumble and fall when the 2 doesn't. Both on same OS revision. It is disappointing. That said a click and you are back, and I much prefer the air screen.

Back
Top Bottom