• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official THIEF-Incorporating AMD™ Mantle™/True Audio™/Bench mark Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Ordered for £14.99

That's not bad for a supposed 7/10 game.

I love stealth games usually, and though I remember playing the Thief/Thief 2 demo's I never actually bought the games.

Soldato
After playing for another few hours to see if it got better, it actually got worse. I cannot see why I should waste hours of my life to enable me to do a proper assessment as Shankley seems to deem necessary. If a game hasn't grabbed you in the first few hours it never will.

The audio is poor to be honest. It has it's good bits but overall I would rate it poor. For example at the start of the game you are in a guys room, he is drunk and asleep and there is noise coming from an open window. The noise sounds like there is a bustling market and a party going on outside. When you get out the windows and climb onto the conveniently placed beam/walkway and look down, there are a handful of people standing about.

My first thought was where is the market and the party.

Another seriously negative point is the beam you are on cannot be fallen off. There is no feeling of tension climbing roofs and beam walking as you cannot fall off. In the first level you are chasing your companion Erin across the rooftops. It gives the impression that you can fall off with one wrong move, but in reality Garret simply stops dead at the edges of any roofs/ledges but will not fall.

The level design is atrocious and not even remotely open ended. As I mentioned in a previous post, when you get detected the mission ends and you are sent back to the last checkpoint. Before anyone says this is only the 1st "tutorial" level, let me remind you it should not be a gameplay mechanic at all in a so called open ended game. The devs have marketed this games as open ended do it your way and decide the best way to complete the level. Instead windows and doors close behind you to corral you along the route the developers demand that you take. One moment Garret can climb a wall and the next he cannot climb a park bench or small hedge. Garret can only jump and climb/grab things at pre-determined locations. Every where else he is bound to the earth as he has inconveniently forgot how to jump or climb. The conveniently placed beams lead right up the the next objective window/door/corridor, so you simply don't have a choice. Thanks devs for designing a game that caters only to morons who need their hand held so they don't get lost. None of other doors and windows are interactive, ONLY the ones the devs demand you go through. The rope arrows can only be fired at specific predesignated points. You literally cannot even draw the bow unless the devs have decreed it the correct time/place to do so.

If you must try it make sure to get it a cheap code on MM so the developers don't get any further income. These devs/publishers should not be rewarded for this game. Hard to believe the same team brought us Deus Ex HR. :(

Whilst I agree with your points re falling etc. It was never touted as an open world game. It was always mission based with a hub between missions more like dishonoured.

I'd give it a 7 so far. Decent but unspectacular.

Funnily enough regarding dishonoured that was raved about again I thought it was a 7/10 game hyped because it was original in a pretty dry period for games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst I agree with your points re falling etc. It was never touted as an open world game. It was always mission based with a hub between missions more like dishonoured.

I'd give it a 7 so far. Decent but unspectacular.

Funnily enough regarding dishonoured that was raved about again I thought it was a 7/10 game hyped because it was original in a pretty dry period for games.

Apologies for not being clearer. My statement opened ended could easily be read as open world. My intention was purely pointing out that the missions are scripted/corridor one way only missions. This is contrary to the trailers for the game clearly implying that you, as Garret have complete freedom to choose the route and method for completing the mission.

This is patently not even remotely the case. There are only ever two routes.

1. Kill/incapacitate the guards for the direct route
  2. Go through the alternative single, scripted corralled stealth route

Choose the "stealth" route and there is only one window/door/corridor/ledge/beam to progress. You have ZERO choice, go out a windows/door and it magically closed behind you. Essentially you corralled along the only route the devs designed through the level.

Soldato
Wow, just brisked over a few peoples reviews in here. Is it really that bad? I was hoping for something fresh?

:(

It's funny you should say that about it not being open world, Bit-Tech ended on this note. Also giving it a 70%.

Thief is a strange one. Not as good as we'd hoped, but better than we expected. Worries that Square Enix had turned it into a mainstream-baiting action-adventure were unfounded. It is unquestionably a stealth game, and one that can be tweaked to be as challenging and demanding as you please. There's no doubt that it fumbles the opening worse than a pickpocket with broken fingers, and the main missions aren't open enough to offer the breadth of burglary options we would like. Yet slowly, gradually, it grows into a game that is worthy of the title, helped greatly by the open-world and the superb side missions. Not a masterpiece, then, but not a disaster either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apologies for not being clearer. My statement opened ended could easily be read as open world. My intention was purely pointing out that the missions are scripted/corridor one way only missions. This is contrary to the trailers for the game clearly implying that you, as Garret have complete freedom to choose the route and method for completing the mission.

This is patently not even remotely the case. There are only ever two routes.

1. Kill/incapacitate the guards for the direct route
  2. Go through the alternative single, scripted corralled stealth route

Choose the "stealth" route and there is only one window/door/corridor/ledge/beam to progress. You have ZERO choice, go out a windows/door and it magically closed behind you. Essentially you corralled along the only route the devs designed through the level.

Ah right yh it does appear to be fairly linear but I guess I went in with the expectation that it would be. It could have been a lot better, something with procedurally generated houses with random loot (The loot would have to serve some purpose...as yet I can't think of one), etc mixed with assassins creed like open world.

That would be epic!

Soldato
I find Eurogamer's reviews generally tie in to how I would rate / review a game so I use them. They gave it a 6... but a review is an opinion at the end of the day so if you want there's nothing stopping you picking it up and giving it a go.

If a game is going to be linear (and there's nothing wrong with being linear per se) then it has to be a very good story with decent solid gamplay basics. Like Uncharted / The Last Of Us on PS3 which are both very much on the rails but are also superb games.

Soldato
I'm still going to buy it. I was a massive fan of the originals, and I want to be disappointed myself if anything :D.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it, the trick is not to go in expecting miracles. Hype is the killer of all things.

Soldato
I find Eurogamer's reviews generally tie in to how I would rate / review a game so I use them. They gave it a 6... but a review is an opinion at the end of the day so if you want there's nothing stopping you picking it up and giving it a go.

If a game is going to be linear (and there's nothing wrong with being linear per se) then it has to be a very good story with decent solid gamplay basics. Like Uncharted / The Last Of Us on PS3 which are both very much on the rails but are also superb games.

Again I can't help but agree (great games btw! Huge fan) I think if Thief came before dishonored it would have got better reviews. The fact is it's not dissimilar to dishonored which was received so well that it would always draw comparisons. Having played both it feels like Thief is Dishonored minus superpowers minus ability to fall (the mechanics of level design and only set paths/routes is largely the same, you could either go gung ho or quietly in dishonored). I thought both stories were weak but dishonored is slightly more engaging because of the powers (Again I state that I thought dishonored was overrated, 7-8/10 game max)

Thief is more disappointing rather than a bad game outright, it's average (maybe I'm being too generous by saying a 7 but I can't say I've hated it, love the atmosphere and art direction). It could have and should have been so much more!

Associate
thief-3.jpg

second try but this time with 4770K o/c to 4400MHz.

thief-5.jpg

Caporegime
Interesting results there. Looks like this game will benefit from a cpu clock. i7 6 core users should have an advantage, even on single card. Makes me think Mantle could make some difference in this title.

Soldato
OP
For those of you that have played it, what is the audio like? Is it the type of in game sound that has been done well? And do you think it will be much better with better positional audio?

The audio is poor to be honest. It has it's good bits but overall I would rate it poor. For example at the start of the game you are in a guys room, he is drunk and asleep and there is noise coming from an open window. The noise sounds like there is a bustling market and a party going on outside. When you get out the windows and climb onto the conveniently placed beam/walkway and look down, there are a handful of people standing about.

My first thought was where is the market and the party.(

Remind me not to come to one of your parties if the ambiance outside constitutes a party.;):p

@bru, come back and ask when TA is patched in.:)

Soldato
Over at IGN i usually go on what the community score says. The actual review gave thief 6.8 out of 10 but out of 33 people with the game it's got 8.1 so far. This usually goes up to over 1000 user reviews so is usually a good mix of gamers for an overall opinion. I probably won't be getting it even if it got 10 out of 10 as i am to impatient for stealth games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom