Van Driving - First Time

Soldato
In my infinite wisdom I have decided to hire a van to drive from Manchester to Coventry for the Multiplay LAN event in April. I've never driven a van before so am a little anxious about what to expect.

It's likely to be a Ford Transit 280 so not too big, but are there any key things I should do/know before setting off?

Associate
FWIW when I drove a minibus at uni it wasn't a million miles different to my mum's fiesta once you get used to the size difference. Biggest thing to remember is leaving enough space when turning left so you don't bump across kerbs (or people).

Soldato
Is the van just for you to LAN or are you picking others up too? :D

Just take extra care when reversing, that's all! Although it won't be too bad in a SWB Transit.

Soldato
I drove a similar sized van (a bit bigger) last year. Again, first time in anything bigger than a car. Picked it up in the afternoon and the next day drove it 550 miles. No problems. Was actually a nice drive. As above, pay attention to where the rear wheels are when turning, as you need to leave more room to the curb than you are used too. I reversed parked the Renault Traffic lwb I had into a space about 10" bigger than the van. Was well pleased with myself :p

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses folks :) Sounds like it won't be too much of a nightmare then.

I'll be travelling down with a pal and picking another up in Birmingham, at least by the time I get to Birmingham I'll have had plenty of practice :D

Soldato
Pretty much the same as a car. I spent a few years driving a Transit and I honestly loved it. I even managed a handbrake turn, but wouldn't recommend it :)

Reversing may take some practice though but assuming it has reversing sensors, it's just common sense. Well......maybe not for you hey Josh ;) :p

Soldato
I had never driven a van before and had to jump into a LWB Ducato to do 350 miles in a day, the biggest car I'd driving up to that point was a BMW E46 Saloon and most of my miles were largely experienced with an Aygo!

However once I was in the van, I was absolutely fine and had no issues driving it. In some respects it's actually easier to waft around in (which essentially is one of the main requirements in a van, they are designed to be easy and intuitive).

You'll constantly be aware of the fact you're not in a 3m car and as such will drive to those conditions.

It didn't help that 5 miles after I was driving I was pulled over by Police for a routine diesel check. At that point in my five years of driving I'd never been pulled once. I couldn't figure out how to get the diesel cap open!

Officer: "Do you own this van?"
Me: "No..."
Officer: "Do you drive for a living?"
Me: "No..."
Officer: "Can you open the diesel cap please?"

*Fumbling around with keys for five minutes*
Me: "... no"
:p

Soldato
Remember to make sure you're well clear of whatever you've over taken before pulling in front.

Hired a LWB van 2 years ago and almost got caught out a few times :p

Back
Top Bottom