Defib in a box

Associate
There's one on the outside of the police station in my town. Only a matter of time before some drunk lunatic tries to take them on with it. If they take him on with a taser it'll be an epic battle of lightning.

Man of Honour
There's one on the outside of the police station in my town. Only a matter of time before some drunk lunatic tries to take them on with it. If they take him on with a taser it'll be an epic battle of lightning.

It won't shock anyone who isn't ill so it won't be much of a battle.

Yes, not just v-fib.

But not plural as you suggest ;)

Soldato
I've seen quite a lot of them at london tube stations.

I'd also assume for the part of london itself that TFL probably require a first aid qualified employee to be at all major tube stations at all operating hours. Would kind of make sense and first aiders are often "trained" to use AED's as well.

Soldato
OP
completely forgot i posted this :D

Cheers for the info guys. Curiosity got the better of me so though i would ask. Around here we're more likely to see the scallys trying to shock a dogs testicles than actually use it

It was on of these that i saw

Last edited:
Soldato
They are very very good bits of kit.

I think it is absolutely disgusting the amount of establishments that REALLY should have them which do not.

Locally there are nursing homes, medical centres and GP Clinics that do not have them. Should be a requirement of regulation to have at least one in my opinion.

Soldato
They are very very good bits of kit.

I think it is absolutely disgusting the amount of establishments that REALLY should have them which do not.

Locally there are nursing homes, medical centres and GP Clinics that do not have them. Should be a requirement of regulation to have at least one in my opinion.

How do you know they don't ? We have one in our building, but it sits behind reception at, so you wouldn't see it.

Associate
My company have just fit them all over the offices. Unfortunately they've made it unnecessarily beurocratic and told everyone they're not allowed to use them without going on a training course. Then guy who campaigned for them to be fit is not best pleased about this.

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with a bit of training. However you're encouraged to attempt to use one without any training, should someone be showing signs of cardiac arrest. The resuscitation council is very clear on this.

"While it is highly desirable that those who may be called upon to use an AED should be trained in their use, and keep their skills up to date, circumstances can dictate that no trained operator (or a trained operator whose certificate of training has expired) is present at the site of an emergency. Under these circumstances no inhibitions should be placed on any person willing to use an AED".

I think Burnsys comment is slightly naive, and somewhat worrying. Training in medical emergencies and the correct use of an AED should not be frowned upon.

Man of Honour
I think Burnsys comment is slightly naive, and somewhat worrying. Training in medical emergencies and the correct use of an AED should not be frowned upon.

If you have basic first aid training and are aware of CRP, primary surveys etc then you have everything you need to use an AED. You simply don't need any training for this specific device the way they are designed and built now.

Associate
If you have basic first aid training and are aware of CRP, primary surveys etc then you have everything you need to use an AED. You simply don't need any training for this specific device the way they are designed and built now.

Completely disagree with this, basic awareness and training in the use of an AED is important. I don't disagree that they are not easy to use to someone who has been trained in medical emergencies as they would have a basic grounding. However like most things people need to firstly recognise how to identify and access an AED and secondly feel confident in using one correctly under pressure.

If you put one of these on each floor of a busy office, staged a cardiac arrest, most people wouldn't utilise it unless they were trained.

I find it incredulous that you would suggest otherwise.

Man of Honour
If you put one of these on each floor of a busy office, staged a cardiac arrest, most people wouldn't utilise it unless they were trained.

Probably because they're scared they would be held liable if they got it "wrong" rather than using their initiative and doing the right thing. If there was no training available, I think people would be more inclined to give it a go rather than think they have to have training before they can use it.

All the training does it go over the instructions that the machine will give you anyway. You mention the training should show how to identify and access an AED. This is obvious stuff. There is usually a big sign FFS.

It just screams of HR BS.

Associate
Completely disagree with this, basic awareness and training in the use of an AED is important. I don't disagree that they are not easy to use to someone who has been trained in medical emergencies as they would have a basic grounding. However like most things people need to firstly recognise how to identify and access an AED and secondly feel confident in using one correctly under pressure.

I find it incredulous that you would suggest otherwise.

I'm hoping people in this busy office know how to use a phone?

999 operators could talk a child through using an AED, it's such a simple process. It's covered in pictures and the damned thing bosses you around until you get it right.

Back
Top Bottom