*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Soldato
would like to know what people have had a joy using too.

whats with the AWFUL download speeds from links on xda, im not topping 100KBps on anything, so roms are taking 2/3 hours.. been downloading g apps for an hour now. its pathetic

Associate
Installed Team Asylum Omni Rom on satuerday night.

Seems to have solved my issue, just need to play around with the settings to get it set up how i'd like it.

Battery life is much better than i was expecting, whenever i've tried using non samsung based roms in the past the battery life has been roughly 20-25% worse in normal usage. But this seems to be at least equal maybe even better.

Going to stick with it for a bit and see how it goes. There also seems to be a new update every day, don't think i'll bother updating very often though, unless i encounter issues, or something good gets added.

Only slightly annoying thing was that it was recommended that titanium backup wasn't used to install app data.

Soldato
So I've just replaced my Acer S1 with one of these earlier this week. I set it all up and everything was fine.

Then after a couple a of days OTA software update pops so I clicked go. That failed and locked the phone up so I had to use Kies Emergency Firmware Recovery to get the phone back.

That downloaded and installed 4.3 but all my apps were gone and I had to reset everything backup. Since then wifi and mobile signal have been shocking.

Any advice?

Soldato
Try another factory reset and clear cache. Did you buy it brand new? Warranty left? If not then I would definitely try a different 4.3.

Yeah I bought it brand new. Can I flash a different 4.3 in ODIN given all the KNOX garbage thats installed?

Ideally I'd root and install a custom firmware but I absolutely love Samsung's email client for exchange and as its the most important bit to me I'd rather keep it.

Soldato
Can someone point me in the direction of a comprehensive guide to installing a custom ROM?

Are you still looking for a guide?

What's ROM's are people using for this phone at the minute?

I've been using Paranoid Android 3.99 RC2 for a while now and at the time it was by far my favourite with two draw backs:
- UI crashes (which thankfully fixes itself immediately)
- lack of exFAT support (any microSD over 32GB isn't visible)

Anyone else given this a try or have similar suiggestions?

Last edited:

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Just ordered the Note II - the price on amazon at the minute was just too good to pass up.

I'm coming from an iPhone 4S and this will be my first Android device. I'm a bit apprehensive about the size and the whole new OS.

Any tips / tricks for me? Thanks.

Also, how's the battery life? I'm hoping it will be better than my 4S.

Soldato
Just ordered the Note II - the price on amazon at the minute was just too good to pass up.

I'm coming from an iPhone 4S and this will be my first Android device. I'm a bit apprehensive about the size and the whole new OS.

Any tips / tricks for me? Thanks.

Also, how's the battery life? I'm hoping it will be better than my 4S.

It's all a practice and learn curve with Android to be honest, you'll learn new things as you go on.

Battery life? Amongst the best you can get amongst a smartphone to be honest.

Soldato
It's not an easy transition from iOS to Android I'll tell you that.

The Note 2 back is too smooth and you battle with it sliding out of your hands 90% of the time. Comfortable one handed operation is simply not an option, but you don't realise how often one handed operation is vital until the honeymoon period ends.

You can't pop a case on these things either, it's already huge and the slippery design is what allows you to slip it in and out of the pocket with ease. I tried a clear body glove from skinomi and it's certainly helped but your hands need to be a little moist and stylus use is hindered.

Most of my gripes are environmental. Now that I live in a sunny climate, it's too heavy in the pockets when wearing shorts. When I used to drive all the time it was fine but being on a bus, you can't touch it if you're standing. I'm out walking around a lot now too so it's just not a comfortable experience.

If you drive everywhere and mainly stay indoors then it's fine... which is why I've ripped out the SIM card and use mine like a home tablet these days.

I have massive issues with the software side too.

It's great being able to flash new ROMs but each one comes with such massive caveats.

Then you have to deal with fundamental issues with Android itself:

1.) Photos management is in such a poor state with Android, you'll have a million folders based on what app downloaded/made/tweaked the image. I had album art in a few music folders and couldnt even delete them from the album. So good luck finding a new downloaded photo. Some HDR photos don't even appear in the library until a few good minutes after being shot. The single photo folder in iOS dominates.

2.) Group SMS messaging is so excruciatingly buggy in Android, if you're coming from iOS there's no doubt you'll be in group messages with other iPhone users and Android just haven't incorporated a feature that lets you group text without it working one second and messing up the next.

3.) Policed apps in iOS have a massive advantage, apps not only work better than the main website but operate fluidly, very intuitive and to top are aesthetically incredible. Then you look at the Google PlayStore and find a list of awful junk that Joey the 12 year old next door uploaded. Not only that but so many apps are jammed with ads galore and some are even dangerous to your privacy, one actually sent my phone number to an ad firm and they kept calling for three days non stop. What a joke. The key point to take away; people on iOS pay for decent apps so it encourages developers to release A-grade material and the common iPhone hardware makes it that much easier to optimize apps then earn a return when selling it.

4.) The cool tech comes to iOS first. My UP band wasn't supported by Android till two years later, Flipbook was on iOS, Figure, WAZE, Vine, Über, Mint, Teamviewer...

5.) In-app search and download of "free trial" apps, you don't have to prat about with torrents or file transfers.

6.) Games! Goodness me the games!! So many incredible games on iOS that actually make sense on a phone. Android seems to be carried away with a console calibre that look gorgeous but on a mobile platform leaves you with games that just doesn't get played.

I'm fine with putting in a bit of work to get things functional when you pay less for a device but this thing wasn't cheaper it actually cost a lot more than the new iPhone.

Yeah this was definitely a bad choice in my circumstance and I get to regret it for a whole two years till my contract expires.

Last edited:

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Uh oh! Thanks for the reply.

I suppose, if I like it, then great, if I don't, I'm not tied in to a contract so it's not a massive problem.

My 4S is playing up (I've pretty much broken it) so I needed a new phone. I considered the iPhone 5 but that still fetches around or over 300 quid! Which is just not worth it. I think it's a good time for me to try out Android and then I'll switch back when the new iPhone is released.

Back
Top Bottom