H440 Case Temps - My 2p

Associate
I'm currently writing this post using my pc moved into my new H440...HOW LOUD IS THIS CASE!? This is a good 3 to 4 dB louder than my old, mostly-meshed, CM Storm Sniper :/

those fans running off a molex are so loud..is there a cheap alternative/adapter I could use?

Associate
If your H440 IS THIS LOUD then I think you have done something drastically wrong, or something is faulty

Nothing's faulty, it's just loud due to the 4 fans running off the 12v molex connector...keep in mind the case I'm coming from had 3x200mm fans which I ran on the lowest settings thanks to the fan controller it had built-in.

It's not jet-engine loud no, and certainly does not compare to my cpu cooler nor my windforce gpu when they're at high RPMS, but for a case marketed to be silent with so much foam, I don't know why they'd have fans this noisy :/

Associate
Nothing's faulty, it's just loud due to the 4 fans running off the 12v molex connector...keep in mind the case I'm coming from had 3x200mm fans which I ran on the lowest settings thanks to the fan controller it had built-in.

It's not jet-engine loud no, and certainly does not compare to my cpu cooler nor my windforce gpu when they're at high RPMS, but for a case marketed to be silent with so much foam, I don't know why they'd have fans this noisy :/

I agree with this, which is why i've used motherboard headers + Y splitters to control the fans.

You could always get a voltage reduction cable for either each of the fans, or for the molex cable running to the hub to reduce the speed of the fans. Some guy on reddit used a 3pin female to female lead and used a motherboard header to connect the 3 of the fans on the hub and could control it through that.

Associate
I agree with this, which is why i've used motherboard headers + Y splitters to control the fans.

You could always get a voltage reduction cable for either each of the fans, or for the molex cable running to the hub to reduce the speed of the fans. Some guy on reddit used a 3pin female to female lead and used a motherboard header to connect the 3 of the fans on the hub and could control it through that.

Was it your post I read where you had the fans hooked up to an MSI Z87 G45?

Soldato
So here's my results after installing 3 more 120mm fans based on CF GPU temps.

Stock Case maximum GPU temps = 91c

Stock Case Front panel and filter removed = 76c

3X 120mm Artic F12's install at top pulling air IN = 85c

3X 120mm Artic F12's install at top pulling air OUT = 80c

So it seems 3 at the top pulling the air out and 3 on the front pushing air in is the best setup and not far of maximum temps with no covers on.

Problem solved me thinks

Associate
So here's my results after installing 3 more 120mm fans based on CF GPU temps.

Stock Case maximum GPU temps = 91c

Stock Case Front panel and filter removed = 76c

3X 120mm Artic F12's install at top pulling air IN = 85c

3X 120mm Artic F12's install at top pulling air OUT = 80c

So it seems 3 at the top pulling the air out and 3 on the front pushing air in is the best setup and not far of maximum temps with no covers on.

Problem solved me thinks

Do the arctic fans move more air than the NZXT ones? You could try switching them round so that the NZXT are on the top as exaust, and the Arctics are pulling cold air in.

Soldato
Yeah they do pull more air in so I've moved the NZXT to the top.

I've turned them around again now so they are pulling air back in so now 6 fans in total. I noticed as the air was being pulled out from the graphics cards past the CPU the temps where getting higher on the CPU, so now I have 3 blowing air onto the CPU.

Associate
Yeah they do pull more air in so I've moved the NZXT to the top.

I've turned them around again now so they are pulling air back in so now 6 fans in total. I noticed as the air was being pulled out from the graphics cards past the CPU the temps where getting higher on the CPU, so now I have 3 blowing air onto the CPU.

Well as long as you get it sorted. Experimentation seems to definitely be the key to this case!

Associate
After a bit of testing, I'm now running like this:
3 x 120mm intake top
3 x 120mm intake front
h80i as rear exhaust

prior to that I had the 3 x 120mm top fans as exhaust and the h80i as an intake to bring cool air over the rad

The new setup runs much better
VRM temp reduced by 15C
GPU temp reduced by 10C
CPU temp reduced by 5C

Associate
Noticed an annoying constant hum, not far off the kind of sound a washing machine makes when it spins slowly, sortof a "vrum...vrum...vrum.."
At first I thought it was my PSU being the issue, so I proceeded to turn it over, turn the fan grill over etc etc, to no avail.

I have discovered that the stock 3 fans on the front, when covered by the dust filter, produce a low-frequency deep hum that seems to stem from the high rpm they run at off of the default fan hub and molex - at least I don't have to replace my PSU!

Can anyone recommend good replacement fans, or some kind of cheap controller solution for them? I realise the default hub doesn't allow fan control at all.

Associate
Noticed an annoying constant hum, not far off the kind of sound a washing machine makes when it spins slowly, sortof a "vrum...vrum...vrum.."
At first I thought it was my PSU being the issue, so I proceeded to turn it over, turn the fan grill over etc etc, to no avail.

I have discovered that the stock 3 fans on the front, when covered by the dust filter, produce a low-frequency deep hum that seems to stem from the high rpm they run at off of the default fan hub and molex - at least I don't have to replace my PSU!

Can anyone recommend good replacement fans, or some kind of cheap controller solution for them? I realise the default hub doesn't allow fan control at all.

My case does that occasionally with my 2 TY147s in the front, so it might just be the way its designed.

Associate

I'm going to stop responding in your other thread now btw, just so i dont have to flit between the two :) . What motherboard are you using?

Associate
OP
So I've been a bit quiet about this the last few days while changing a few things around my PC case! I had the Noctua delivered, and they are just such high quality fans it is crazy, the price is high, but :eek: it is so worth it!

I wasn't to impressed by just having the 2 x 150mm fans (in a 140mm frame) in the front, as I didn't notice any difference in temps.

I looked at a few posts online about the case and what people had done, and I noticed that there's a hard drive mount on the bottom of the case were the power supply 'shroud' is! So I removed all my hard drive trays and but my 1Tb storage drive in this new location, freeing up a bit of 'clutter' in the way of the fans. (this probably doesn't help any of the temps but I thought Id mention it incase anyone else did not know about this HDD(and SSD) mounting point!)

When doing this I just sat in front of the case and thought about just sticking in a fan that blew air straight across my graphics cards, and after re-routing the power cables - I had the perfect size gap to place the fan into, and the cables + antvibrating rubber edges of the fan mean that it does not budge out of place and left me with this:

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

So this was cool, but then I have 1 more Noctua fan left to play with! So with a bit of a queeze, and some cable ties to hold in the top fan I was left with this:

photo_1.jpg

Now then, temperatures!

Before I was getting 75-80 degrees after playing Diablo 3 for long periods of time, but now, I had a max of 63 degrees! And when I enabled SLi - the temps of both cards dropped to 52 degrees each! (obviously D3 isn't that intensive and it gave each card less work to do!) But most importantly, when I put my hand at the back of my PC case, I can feel the air coming out from the back of the graphics cards, which is just wasn't happening before.

Also as an added bonus, the 2 x Noctua fans came with 2 x Y splitters, and 2 x resistors to add in and slow the fans down, so now all the fans in the front (and the one on the graphics card) are running at slower, quieter speed, and my temps are down dramatically!

Now all that's left is to test some Push or Pull configurations on my x60, I am almost positive a 'pull' configuration is better, but not sure if I want to pull warm PC case air through the radiator and out the top of the case, or pull cold air in and dump warm air into my PC case :confused: I will continue my efforts... later on today!

Associate
So I've been a bit quiet about this the last few days while changing a few things around my PC case! I had the Noctua delivered, and they are just such high quality fans it is crazy, the price is high, but :eek: it is so worth it!

I wasn't to impressed by just having the 2 x 150mm fans (in a 140mm frame) in the front, as I didn't notice any difference in temps.

I looked at a few posts online about the case and what people had done, and I noticed that there's a hard drive mount on the bottom of the case were the power supply 'shroud' is! So I removed all my hard drive trays and but my 1Tb storage drive in this new location, freeing up a bit of 'clutter' in the way of the fans. (this probably doesn't help any of the temps but I thought Id mention it incase anyone else did not know about this HDD(and SSD) mounting point!)

When doing this I just sat in front of the case and thought about just sticking in a fan that blew air straight across my graphics cards, and after re-routing the power cables - I had the perfect size gap to place the fan into, and the cables + antvibrating rubber edges of the fan mean that it does not budge out of place and left me with this:

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

So this was cool, but then I have 1 more Noctua fan left to play with! So with a bit of a queeze, and some cable ties to hold in the top fan I was left with this:

photo_1.jpg

Now then, temperatures!

Before I was getting 75-80 degrees after playing Diablo 3 for long periods of time, but now, I had a max of 63 degrees! And when I enabled SLi - the temps of both cards dropped to 52 degrees each! (obviously D3 isn't that intensive and it gave each card less work to do!) But most importantly, when I put my hand at the back of my PC case, I can feel the air coming out from the back of the graphics cards, which is just wasn't happening before.

Also as an added bonus, the 2 x Noctua fans came with 2 x Y splitters, and 2 x resistors to add in and slow the fans down, so now all the fans in the front (and the one on the graphics card) are running at slower, quieter speed, and my temps are down dramatically!

Now all that's left is to test some Push or Pull configurations on my x60, I am almost positive a 'pull' configuration is better, but not sure if I want to pull warm PC case air through the radiator and out the top of the case, or pull cold air in and dump warm air into my PC case :confused: I will continue my efforts... later on today!

Good stuff!

Before i got mine sorted, i tried moving the stock 140mm fan there as well, and attatched it using cable ties on the HDD mounts, but it didnt work for me.

zWA2C4Q.png

Back
Top Bottom