• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

TitanZ: delayed indefinitely?

Soldato
According to kitguru, the titanZ won't be making an appearance at all

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...n-z-makes-no-show-seems-delayed-indefinitely/

I'm not surprised if its true, as the price of the card was just daft. It was hard enough justifying the price of the titan cards, but the dual solution of the titan blacks is just a step too far in my opinion. I'm sure that opinion is shared my the vast majority of people on this forum also, so this card won't be mourned if the news is true by either sides of the GPU camp.

Soldato
OP
Nah, titan black is a 780 ti card with twice as much RAM and double precision compute shaders settings.

The titanZ was two downclocked titan black cards on the same pcb, yet the original article that kitguru linked infers that the 295x2 being VASTLY cheaper and offering better performance, has forced nvidia back to the drawing board.

I welcome this if the latter is indeed correct, as it'll give consumers far better value for money in the long run.

Soldato
Nvidia will just tweak it some more lower the price then undercut the 295X2 its what they do best & the consumer wins everytime its bound to turn up as those 12GB boards are too expensive to throw away they cost a LOT of money to make :eek:

Soldato
Nvidia will just tweak it some more lower the price then undercut the 295X2 its what they do best & the consumer wins everytime its bound to turn up as those 12GB boards are too expensive to throw away they cost a LOT of money to make :eek:

Have nVidia EVER undercut? I don't think they have, and I can't see them doing it now personally.

Soldato
c8e20313143561811cbb630a2bf8fc9c.jpg

Caporegime
I'm interested in the new price of the 295x2 according to that article, it's twice less than the Titan Z... as the Titan Z is $3000, does that mean the 295x2 costs $6000 less... if so sign me up for every 295x2 available, being given $3000 and a 295x2 sounds awesome :p

Quite a lot of review sites have switched to warming up cards before running benchmarks which probably kills the cards boost significantly and leaves it not much faster than before and significantly behind the 295x2.

Nvidia's idea for a new driver to kick up boost speeds for a bit is fine if everyone cold benches and even 1/3rd of a benchmark is what 10-20% faster, but ultimately a relatively small air cooler and 2x225W cores, with a 375W limit and not enough cooling was never going to come remotely close to a 500W card with an AIO cooler with proper fans and proper airflow.

Can't beat proper airflow rates, doesn't even matter to an extent how big the cooler gets if you are stuck with a single low cfm fan. Triple the amount of air going over the same size cooler will beat triple the heatsink size with no airflow increase easily... when you have the smaller surface area on the heatsink and maybe as little as 1/8th of the airflow.... you aren't going to win, simple as that.

Soldato
Something tells me Nvidia didn't have a clue the 295 was hybrid cooled and thought they could produce a gimped dual gpu that would be faster than an air cooled heavily castrated 295 and rip the utter **** out of it's epeen followers pockets.

Soldato
I can't see it getting cancelled, that's a massive slap in the face for nvidia, AMD will rip the **** out of them in PR.

Then consider how catastrophic it would be for the fanboys in here, they will take an utter tanking of biblical proportion.:D

I can see them pushing out all the stops to get it to market one way or another, be it redesigned cooler or cut down the gpu's, idk the time frame involved though.

It could be a non story at the end of the day too and the driver is getting tweaked further causing the delay.

Maybe FCAT will be banned in every review as nvidia work their 'magic' to improve Sli scaling.;)

Man of Honour
Have nVidia EVER undercut? I don't think they have, and I can't see them doing it now personally.

Not very usual for them to do it with a new card but they've slashed the prices on cards post release to undercut i.e. the 470s and a few other cards:

"In addition to the recent release of the 260.89 WHQL driver and in order to spoil AMD’s Radeon HD 6870 and 6850 launch, it has decided to officially drop the prices on its GTX 470 and GTX 460 boards."

IIRC the 470s dropped from £285 to £164 pretty much overnight here which was when I bought 2 of them (well actually 3 but 2 for SLI).

I can't see them cancelling the Z just trying to come up with a way to salvage it without leaving them a chunk out of pocket.

Soldato
Of course I know they've dropped prices because they've absolutely needed to, though it was about a new card, I can't see them undercutting with a new card as they know there are people who will happily bend over and pay the nVidia tax without a second consideration.

Caporegime
Not very usual for them to do it with a new card but they've slashed the prices on cards post release to undercut i.e. the 470s and a few other cards:

"In addition to the recent release of the 260.89 WHQL driver and in order to spoil AMD’s Radeon HD 6870 and 6850 launch, it has decided to officially drop the prices on its GTX 470 and GTX 460 boards."

IIRC the 470s dropped from £285 to £164 pretty much overnight here which was when I bought 2 of them (well actually 3 but 2 for SLI).

I can't see them cancelling the Z just trying to come up with a way to salvage it without leaving them a chunk out of pocket.

It wouldn't be easy for them, the GK110 is 551mm^2 vs 438mm^2 Hawaii XT, its a hell of a size difference, less GPU's per wafer and a good possibility of lower yields (as is usually the case with lagers die's) its costing Nvidia more to make the GK110.
So undercutting AMD will result in Nvidia loosing money on them before AMD do.

Man of Honour
Don't be surprised if we see two full fat GK110 chips with 3gb of vram each on the same PCB with a tweaked cooler. All labled as a GTX 790

NVidia should be able to push the above out the door for less than 1K.

Back
Top Bottom