• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

TitanZ: delayed indefinitely?

Permabanned
GeForce Titan Z review leaks, card coming in Q2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Where in the world is Nvidia's Titan Z graphics card? The dual-GK110 monster was revealed in March, but we haven't heard much about it since—at least not officially. Rumors abound that the card is delayed or possibly even canceled altogether. The reason? The $2,999 Titan Z is apparently slower than AMD's dual-Hawaii Radeon R9 295 X2, which sells for a mere $1,500.

As it turns out, there's some evidence to support that claim. A member of the Linus Tech Tips forums has posted images from a review of the Titan Z published by Hong Kong computer magazine E-Zone. My browser's translation engine can't make any sense of the Chinese characters in the images, but the numbers in the performance table are easy to understand. According to E-Zone, the Titan Z is slower than the Radeon in 3DMark, Battlefield 4, and Sleeping Dogs. The GeForce actually comes out ahead in Batman: Arkham Origins and Tomb Raider, though.

Interestingly, E-Zone indicates that the Titan Z consumes about 60W less than the Radeon under load. The GeForce GPUs reportedly run 20°C hotter than their Hawaii counterparts, too, likely due to cooling differences. The Titan relies on traditional air cooling, while the Radeon is strapped to a closed-loop liquid cooler.

When asked about the cancellation rumors, Nvidia told Gamers Nexus that the Titan Z is still on track for a Q2 release. The second quarter usually ends in June, but Nvidia's fiscal schedule lags behind the normal calendar by two months (the company's first fiscal quarter ended April 27), so we could be waiting a while for the Titan Z to make its official debut.

Even if the dual-chip Titan isn't the fastest gaming card around, its double-precision compute prowess should be a hit with folks who use GPUs for general-purpose number crunching. We should also note that E-Zone's benchmark scores appear to be in frames per second. Our latency-focused methods exposed some troublesome frame time spikes in the Radeon R9 295 X2 that don't show up in FPS averages. We ran into multi-GPU scaling issues with the card, as well. Despite what the initial numbers say, the Titan Z may yet provide a better overall gaming experience."

http://techreport.com/news/26455/gef...d-coming-in-q2

Soldato
I think it's fairly obvious it needs to be cheaper, so will be interesting to see come launch day. Performance as well.

Gladly sitting this one out though. Had enough of Kepler to last me several lifetimes

Caporegime
Finding it funny seeing the fanbots on numerous forums deflecting the pricing by saying its not a gaming card and its more for compute. Last I checked "Geforce" was NVidia's gaming gpu series. So I take it NVidia are just going out of their way to confuse professionals and gamers as to the purpose of the card despite the naming convention? Must also have been some confusion with the manufacturers going for gamers styled boxing I suppose and advertising game features such as PhysX on it..

Soldato
Nvidia confusing people with product naming is most definitely not a new thing.

Prime example of legacy pranks. Geforce 4 MX400. Basically an overclocked Geforce 2 MX

Last edited:
Soldato
Finding it funny seeing the fanbots on numerous forums deflecting the pricing by saying its not a gaming card and its more for compute.

That's always been the story, Titan cards have always been more baby compute than monster gamer hence sacrificing gaming performance for compute performance, Nvidia were actually quite shocked the original card sold as well as it did (outsold the GTX690) and so many gamers bought them.

Back
Top Bottom