*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
So how's Musclefood? Good quality meat? There's no thread for it, but I'm sure I've seen some people talk about it every now and again.

Prices look great, slightly more expensive than the local supermarket, but presuming the quality of meat is higher.

Any recommendations on what stuff is good, aside from chicken breasts which is a given?

Why have I never looked at this site before? It's like protein heaven :eek:

Sitting here at work looking at it and my stomach is making noises at me! Can't wait to finish this cutting down so i can eat properly again!

I think I will be making some purchases on this site at some point... :D

Man of Honour
Few issues with the weight loss/going the gym.

1. Saggy skin, literally everywhere. My elbow now looks mangled and my stomach is beginning to look like a sad old mans face.

This will clear in time, some of the guys here use bio oil to minimise stretch mark and other skin ailments. Adding muscle will help to mitigate it. Just be patient it'll be worth it in the long run.

2. Blisters on my right hand have began to pop from doing weight training, the reason I'm up now is because one popped so badly it covered my sheets with blood.

A little bit of blood won't kill you. You get far better grip development and activation not using gloves. Use chalk, in time your hands will firm up. There are some on here who lift several hundred kilos without gloves, so you'll be okay - even if your skin is made of paper.

3. I feel incredibly bad whenever I don't go to the gym. It's £1.70/£1.95 a time and sometimes that money isn't available, but whenever that is the case I go to bed with the overwhelming sense of under achievement from the day just gone.

We all have days when we feel guilty for not going, but sometimes life takes priority. However if you're always finding an excuse then it's something you need to address. If you can't afford it, either find other ways to save if the gym is important, or make sure you get your money's worth.

If you're paying daily, then just go to the park, and do some complexes there (circuit training) you can do push ups, pull ups, lunges, split squats etc... If you're paying monthly, then keep going to the gym!

4. I'm pretty much wearing 2/3 sets of clothes a day, laundry has become expensive.

2/3 sets of clothes? I can understand 2.. Doing laundry once a week isn't a big deal is it? You don't need nice/good quality clothes for the gym.

5. The stark reality of the matter is, I actually believed that prior to this regime I was 'fit and healthy' - that false sense of security is incredibly dangerous.

Well you're doing something about it, so be positive and keep it up! :)

Man of Honour
Was thinking about posting a log but thought I'd start in here. Been going to the gym regularly for a little over a year, though not for the past 3 months due to exams and work. About half way through that period I started reading more and realised that I was making mistakes. I changed to doing primarily 5x5 sets of basic compound moves. Now that I've quit my summer job, I have some time to get back in the gym and I wanted to change things up a bit.

Changing things is always good - but even if you're doing a basic routine, you can mix it up by keeping the main lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, OHP) and add in accessory exercises to exploit the benefits of the lifts that you are currently doing.

My old routine (Mon, Wed, Fri) would consist of 5x5 of one leg, one push and one pull. For example I might do Squats, Military Press and BOR, then next day Deadlift, Bench Press and Chin Ups. I've been intrigued about switching to higher weight lower rep and have been doing a bit of reading. The first routine I came across was the korte 3x3, which is essentially a month of low weight high volume, which also allows greater focus on form. This is followed by a month of pushing your one rep max up. You perform Deadlift, Squat and Bench Press each session 3 times a week.

korte is fine, but it's just a base programme, you need to add the accessories around it to benefit the most from it. It's based on %age of 1RM which aren't always accurate so you have to be willing to tweak it accordingly. Doing large amounts of deadlifts several times a week is going to be fairly taxing especially as you get towards your 1RM. To be fair doing 1RM training regularly can fry the CNS a little so you have to vary it. For example, I've just done a 9 week strength training programme, and will be doing 6 weeks of volume training having had a week off doing anything.

If you want another strength training programme, 5/3/1 triumvirate is a good way to go as you get to do a few accessory exercises and still make strength progress.

So today I decided I would test my 1 RM (DL: 130 kg, BP: 82.5 kg, Squat: 127.5 kg, calculated using a coefficients table I found onlne) and start on Monday. However, it's a powerlifting routine, and not necessarily all-rounded; there's a conspicuous lack of any pull exercise. So I was wondering if I could get opinions on slightly modifying that routine.

It's up to you to add pulling exercises, as well as accessory exercises to support the main lifts, otherwise it's pointless. I always do more pulling than pushing, your back is a bigger muscle, but also for balance and posture it shouldn't be over looked. If I do 2 pushing exercises I'll do at least 3 if not 4 pulling ones. You don't want your shoulders to round forward.

On that note, mobility and keeping supple is critical to good strength development. So make sure you read Icecold's excellent mobility thread.

I was thinking about changing to a more classic 4 day 3x3 routine, but following the same principal of high volume for the first month, something along the lines of days 1 and 3 Squat and Deadlift, days 2 and 4 Bench Press and BOR. Then switching to day 1 push squat up, day 3 push deadlift up etc.

Any suggestions? Should I just go in and lift as much as I can every second day?!? :p

Cheers.

The korte routine there's a prep phase of high volume for 4 weeks and a "preparation" phase for the next 4 weeks. You don't just shove your 1rm, you do it incrementally as a %age of your 1rm. You don't just shove 100% of your 1rm.

Also it talks about suits, belts, slings etc... it's not really a programme for gentle general progress and with your figures (unless you're 10st) suggest that you have only just started your lifting career.

I'd personally not jump in at that but do stronglifts or a variation of that to get you lifting medium volume with decent accessory exercises.

Caporegime
5/3/1 is nice but its not really linear progression as such? Its not small increments every four weeks, reset then back at it.

Basically its not a programming to do randomly for one or two cycles.

Are you physically stalling at all?

Associate
5/3/1 is nice but its not really linear progression as such? Its not small increments every four weeks, reset then back at it.

Basically its not a programming to do randomly for one or two cycles.

Are you physically stalling at all?

Only because I've struggled to get to the gym consistently over the past 3 months for various reasons.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my improved muscle mass. It's just covered by a bit too much flab atm. :p :o

Soldato
How often do you guys change your exercises for workouts? obviously you always include the main compound lifts but the other exercises do you change every 2 months or so?

Man of Honour
OP
How often do you guys change your exercises for workouts? obviously you always include the main compound lifts but the other exercises do you change every 2 months or so?

Very rarely. I will occasionally change intensity or volume, but my exercise choice is 'comparatively' extensive, anyway, as there are loads of ways to assist Olympic lifting. :)

Snatch? That would be... hang snatch, muscle snatch (hard), power snatch, snatch first/second pull, snatch deadlift, snatch RDL, overhead squat, snatch balance, snatch grip BTN press... and that is before I cjoose basic support work like back squats or whatever.

My assistance work is specifically chosen to get pumped assist my primary lifts, and I generally work a specific thing in if I feel some aspect of my lifts are weak.

Associate
I'm running Madcow currently and it's going well so far. However, I keep running into issues with Bench pressing(and OHP but I've given up all hope with that). I've been doing a lot of reading into it and from a Powerlifting perspective, the general response seems to be increase the frequency to at least 3 days a weeks and then change the rep scheme, something similar to Texas Method (Volume, recovery, intensity) perhaps. I'm thinking of doing this on my current Wednesday sessions and have OHP as an accessory exercise rather than a main movement. I'm curious as to what people think to this approach.

Man of Honour
Benching issues are very commonly technical, or that you are willing to accept too much variation in your form to allow heavier weight.

With this in mind, my recommendation for any beginner/intermediate lifter would be to re-evaluate your technique. Higher frequency with reduced load is a great way to learn a movement.

Associate
Higher frequency with reduced load is a great way to learn a movement.

This was one of my main thoughts towards increasing the frequency also. I'm fully aware that there is a technical fault in my technique. My current guess is pointing towards my setup and shoulder mobility, the simple fact that I get pressure in my right shoulder is a good indicator. But I was thinking that by increasing the frequency and adapting the rep scheme would simply allow me to 'groove' the movement better at various weights and volumes. This is opposed to rather than being stuck in a very, very close (almost identical) intensity in both sessions that I bench.

Man of Honour
You're right, pain means something is wrong. Ideally, you want to get to a point where you can feel the incorrect pattern before it causes pain, because in many ways this is too late (in terms of fixing things and making consistent progress).

It sounds like you're on the right track, as long as you understand that you won't get any useful training effect until you fix your technical issue, no matter what your frequency/load protocol is.

Associate
You're right, pain means something is wrong. Ideally, you want to get to a point where you can feel the incorrect pattern before it causes pain, because in many ways this is too late (in terms of fixing things and making consistent progress).

It sounds like you're on the right track, as long as you understand that you won't get any useful training effect until you fix your technical issue, no matter what your frequency/load protocol is.

I'm fully aware of that. I was also along the lines of thinking that by increasing the frequency it might help remove the technical fault quicker, not because of more volume or anything like that but instead by it giving me another opportunity to identify it at a lower weight. So I can assume that it's safe to say that increasing the frequency will be beneficial then.

Man of Honour
OP
Provided you address the technical issues, which probably means reducing the load a fair bit. Practicing an imperfext pattern more frequently will just cause you problems faster...

Take a vid for the form thread for atarters. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Provided you address the technical issues, which probably means reducing the load a fair bit. Practicing an imperfext pattern more frequently will just cause you problems faster...

Take a vid for the form thread for atarters. :)

The deload is coming From Monday anyway as I'm first changing my setup on Friday to see if that makes any difference first. I'll be checking my grip positioning (width and wrist rotation) as well as my elbow positioning. I know it's good to have the elbows tightly tucked but mine might be too tight and causing me to move like a t-rex. A point that I made to Icecold was one of the reasons for increasing frequency wasn't for MOARRRR BENCHING but instead to bench over a greater variety of volumes and intensity, whereas the intensity as it is at the moment is constantly high across both days. I figured it would be more difficult to fix the issue at a constant high intensity rather than at 2 vastly lighter sessions and only one high intensity day (whilst immediately deloading that is).

Man of Honour
Tbh, even a range of loads is a bad idea. Trying to follow any form of progression into challenging weights while you are trying to fix your form will not work.

Soldato
Gym for the last week has been a nightmare, the aircon is broken so all through this hot weather the temperature has been ridiculous. It's like a sauna in there, sweat literally pouring out of me everywhere, having to drink 2 pints of water when I get home to make up for the water loss!

Back
Top Bottom