People who hate automagics...

Associate
I'm considering getting a Honda FR-V possibly a 1.8 automatic. Any thoughts on whether its likely to drive well, bearing in mind that its an mpv and not a track day special!

Weight 1449kg
138 bhp
Torque 174 Nm 128 lb-ft
5 speed transmission

Man of Honour
I'm considering getting a Honda FR-V possibly a 1.8 automatic. Any thoughts on whether its likely to drive well, bearing in mind that its an mpv and not a track day special!

Weight 1449kg
138 bhp
Torque 174 Nm 128 lb-ft
5 speed transmission

Would seem unlikely with that little power.

Associate

Weight 1449kg
138 bhp
Torque 174 Nm 128 lb-ft
5 speed transmission

Go and have a test drive and see what you think of it, only you can decide how it drives at the end of the day.

Caporegime
It depends entirely on what kind of auto transmission it has! The auto box in a 2014 BMW M5 is not the same as the auto box in a 1992 Nissan Primera! I expect he thinks things haven't changed, and that all auto boxes are sluggish, drunken, confused torque converters, which like to have a cup of tea and a lay down before they acknowledge any input from the driver.

(I know I am contradicting things I have said in the past about automatics, but I have learned since then. :))

[TW]Fox;26922781 said:
Would seem unlikely with that little power.

Fox... 140HP is plenty for a car to "drive well". I know you know that. You just don't want to entertain the idea of living with a mere 140HP. :p

If we ever bump into each other at an OcUK meet, you really should drive the Polo if I still have it. I feel as though your anger and frustration would be priceless! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
As for unreliable, uneconomic and slow argument, technology wise automatic boxes definitely have moved on. That's not to say they are all made equal and it depends on the engine, car and even what you're using it for. I driven over a dozen different cars in US which naturally all were automatics and found them all adequate but then I was never looking for any enjoyment out of those cars, just A to B machines. All were a very soulless experience and of course extremely easy to drive.

I'd say biggest thing for me is engagement with the car. First automatic I driven was one of those old Jaguar XJ 4.0 litre jobs and frankly found myself wanting a manual box even though it isn't the kind of a car you'd normally want that for. It certainly moved well and smooth as butter but I just found myself wanting to play with that engine and didn't feel involved driving it at all. Oddly enough when I had the CLK convertible I couldn't imagine anything but an automatic box in there, it seemed perfect for it. It was just the kind of a car you wanted to get the roof down with and go slicing through the countryside and still feeling engaged driving it.

Right now have access to a BMW Z3 and while not the best handling car out there I'd hate an idea of an automatic box in that, I feel it almost brings you closer to car having to shift those gears but that's because it's a different kind of beast to the CLK. That's driving for pleasure of course, I would hate it to its core if I had to commute in one. Spent 2 months driving a Prius+ and Auris hybrids to work which is a combination of A and B roads, however, both in heavy traffic and found them an absolute pleasure for simple commute and city driving, bit like the above cars in US as it simply does the job!

tl;dr auto box for commute and manual for weekend car unless it's a tourer of some sorts

Caporegime
I've heard that BMW's semi-auto, Audi's DSG and Fords Powershift, to name but a few, are great.

Have tried the BMW version in a 118D. It was very unusual at first I must admit, but ultimately very good.

Last edited:
Soldato
The CVT in my Subaru is fantastic, I'd recommend anyone to try it.

The torque converter in my BMW was ok, but it got easily confused and always tried to put me in 5th at 30mph as you accelerate up to 50-60

Man of Honour
Fox... 140HP is plenty for a car to "drive well". I know you know that. You just don't want to entertain the idea of living with a mere 140HP. :p

In my experience auto boxes are better with large displacement torquey engines, engines that need revs tend to be better suited to a manual transmission. I don't think a 1.8 With an auto will be that great and its probably a car better suited to a manual. In a car like this an auto will just suck fuel, blunt performance, etc.

I've heard that BMW's semi-auto, Audi's DSG and Fords Powershift, to name but a few, are great.

Have tried the BMW version in a 118D. It was very unusual at first I must admit, but ultimately very good.

BMWs semi auto twin clutch system is not offered in the 118D, that has a conventional torque converter full automatic instead, though the version fitted to the current model is the absolutely excellent ZF 8 speed.

Permabanned
Old slush boxes, you need big engines and lots of torque. Modern dual clutch DSG jobs are great regardless of the engine they're on. The 1.4 Fabia VRS with the DSG box is loads of fun. Until the DSG needs fixing or the engine drinks all it's oil...

Soldato
Having checked what I wrote in this thread previously about automatics, my opinion about pure driving pleasure still stands. However, I am definitely very happy with the auto in my car. It's very well-suited to the torquey turbocharged engine meaning it isn't always hunting for gears as you're accelerating around town and whatnot. It's very smooth in stop-start traffic, all things considered. The only time you really get a jolt is if it changes from 1st to 2nd at the same time you're being a bit "on-off" with the throttle, but even then it's not particularly severe. I had the gearbox oil changed which smoothed things out a bit. The changes are lightning fast when you're giving it the beans, and the uninterrupted acceleration in this situation is quite enjoyable. Sport mode is great at this point because it sharpens up the gear changes and is generally more sensitive to downshifting.

I'm not at all used to having a turbocharged car, nor a twin-clutch automatic, so it's quite a change and quite a learning curve. But for my usage, the auto is great!

Associate
Go and have a test drive and see what you think of it, only you can decide how it drives at the end of the day.

Yes,I guess so.
I live in London and mostly do short journeys in town, needless to say, often in traffic. Is an automatic likely to be more reliable than a manual? I have a Renault Scenic that needed a new clutch after 55000 miles.

I dont see any mention of Honda automatic transmissions on this thread, im looking at a 2007 model FR-V.

Soldato
Love the auto in my Accord, changes are seemlessly quick, kick down is very quick for a 11 y/o car.

And its less stress in the morning on my commutes where i'm usually stuck in traffic and actually fun when I decide to take it down some lanes, Triptronic and all that.

Permabanned
Autotragics and automagics. :p

Pretty much. I once had a 1984 Merc estate with an automatic. It was quite possibly the most comfortable car I have ever owned (for all of 8 months). It was however horribly underpowered, drank fuel like it was 1p a gallon and the automatic was the worst gearbox I've ever had in a car. Put your foot down annnnd, nothing. For wafting about in, it was great. But it was so dull and so expensive to run I got rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom