So windows 9?

Soldato
Win + S. Even easier as you can usually just get away with the first few characters rather than needing to know the exact executable. Doesn't take over the whole screen with metro either.

That said, Win + whatever I want to open usually happens so fast it would never interrupt a video long enough for me to miss anything. If the video was *that* important I'd likely be giving it my full attention and not doing something else anyway.

Soldato
Win + S. Even easier as you can usually just get away with the first few characters rather than needing to know the exact executable. Doesn't take over the whole screen with metro either.

That said, Win + whatever I want to open usually happens so fast it would never interrupt a video long enough for me to miss anything. If the video was *that* important I'd likely be giving it my full attention and not doing something else anyway.

I spend most of my time on old desktop so use Win+X menu a lot,having said that I also have shortcuts etc on desktop taskbar and even have Metro Start organised with my columns and tiles etc so I'm not afraid to use Win8.1 to the max and make it easy for myself :) .

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

Yay, another bloated metro solution!

Soldato

Amazes me the hate for Metro or even other things,I use any OS ie Windows or Linux regardless of what it looks like or layout etc,to me they are ALL just a tool to use.

I can never understand the hatred or the work up some people get with an OS,Win9,10 or even Linux etc will be no different for me ie just another OS and tool to use.

I guess when all modern operating systems are simple to use ,some people have to find something to get worked up on ;) .

Last edited:
Soldato

I love the start menu as much as the next guy but this really isn't a hugely different solution. I've been opening programs with the windows key for as long as it's been an option to do so. It used to pop up a start menu and show some things, now it pops up metro and shows some things. I can hit win + S to pop up a sidebar rather than metro taking over - Another key yes, but hardly a deal breaker. For all the ills of metro, this is very far down on the list.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I love the start menu as much as the next guy but this really isn't a hugely different solution. I've been opening programs with the windows key for as long as it's been an option to do so. It used to pop up a start menu and show some things, now it pops up metro and shows some things. I can hit win + S to pop up a sidebar rather than metro taking over - Another key yes, but hardly a deal breaker. For all the ills of metro, this is very far down on the list.

No need to settle for next best. Windows 9 will save the day. :p

Soldato
Soldato
Nope, the leaked build has a tick box to enable the Start Screen instead of the Start Menu (or vice versa). Either way it should keep both camps happy.

They will find something else to moan about ;) ,then Win10 will come round and the same cycle continues,some people are never happy :) .

Soldato
I heard a rumour that Windows 9 is going RTM before the end of the year, it could also be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users. But it could be a paid for upgrade.

Last edited:
Soldato
I heard a rumour that Windows 9 is going RTM before the end of the year, it could also be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users. But it could be a paid for upgrade.

Too many rumours at the moment,to be fair I think next year for RTM and 99.9% sure you will probably have to pay for it,anything else is really wishful thinking IMHO.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Start menu, you mean? That was also possible in a leaked build of Windows 8 - but removed later on.

Oops. Start screen!

Still Spring of next year according to Mary Jo Foley & Paul Thurrott.

Back
Top Bottom