Cancelled Games

Associate
You know what it's like. You're looking forward to a game you're interested in and you've seen the screen shots and previews and what happens? It enters development hell (look at how long Duke Nukem Forever took before the rumours were confirmed) or gets pulled after the developers have spent Hollywood sized budgets with no word or anything. Bethesda were going to do an Elder Scrolls game for the PSP but it was cancelled.
I think this is a bit inconsiderate of the developers and we never here of Grand Theft Auto (imagine the uproar) or Assassin's Creed games being canned do we?

Associate
+1

I love the first one and put loads of hours into it. Was very excited to hear they were making #2 and it looked fantastic.

Real shame it was cancelled :(

I still hammer the first one, just hate the mismatch errors on lan.

Dont know how true but on the wiki.

Resurrection[edit]
In November 2013, EA announced the game will still be developed by a new game studio, and customers who bought the Command & Conquer Ultimate Collection will still receive an invite to the Beta.[25][26] EA is currently looking for the new developer of the reboot.[27]

Associate
Return To Castle Wolfenstein had a canned sequel, the multiplayer part was released as a free download [Enemy Territory]. The single player was not up to standard for a game made by id software apparently. Don't know how they explain the tosh released since if that is true.

Soldato
We won't ever see half life 3. It's been too long and valve know that no matter how good the game is, it won't be good enough for the hype the community has already created even before it has been announced.

I think I agree with this. The sheer weight of expectation would put the severe ***** up any sane developer. It's been too long really hasn't it.

Soldato
We won't ever see half life 3. It's been too long and valve know that no matter how good the game is, it won't be good enough for the hype the community has already created even before it has been announced.

I'd like to see them turn their hand to something else in a similar vein. Sequels aren't the be all and end all, just a cash cow ;)

Soldato
C&C Generals 2 :(

Yeah, +1.

I think Generals was the best of the bunch. Spent a lot of time on that game. The recent games do not compare in my opinion.

Enemy Territory was an amazing game. I used to play in the Jolt leagues back in the day. They did Quake Wars ET which wasn't too bad but it never took off.

Personally I think the last decent game ID released was Doom3. I would love to see a full blown remake of the original Doom games though, like what they did with Classic Doom 3. That would be epic.

Half-Life 3 could be something amazing, but as others have said I think the expectations have outrun what it can realistically deliver. That said, all it takes are some good ideas and the right team and they could make a game with a similar impact as Half-Life back in 1998.

I hope there is a new Deus Ex game in the works somewhere too. Satellite Reign is another game I am quite excited about. A piritual successor to Syndicate Wars. The early footage looks OK, I just hope they don't dumb it down too much for the no skill casuals :(

Associate

I think we will. Half Life 2: Episode 2 finished on a cliff hanger and left us with a new plot device, "The Borealis". Then they reinforced that plotline in Portal 2 by showing you the Borealis hanger and giving us a little background on the ships details and that's been their most recent story driven game in the same universe as Half-Life.

Back
Top Bottom