Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Don
I quite fancy the idea of flying it above my dogs when we're walking them in the park; Seeing their reaction, videoing it, using the RFT viewer on the transmitter to fly it around them etc. especially when further away where its harder to judge relative distance.

Nothing really specific, just wanting to play really. But i'll not be forking out nigh on £400 for one that does RTF (better). Need to start somewhere i guess.
As i said the 2MP cam looks ok on the youtube clips.

Stability also looks quite good too.
Are there not options to upgrade parts of these ones?

Maybe a slight bit of (and no disrespect meant here) snobbery of obviously having much superior kit than what i'm proposing, but like i said, gotta start somewhere. :)

It's not snobbery. It's that they genuinely are a bit of a waste of money at that price. I looked in to these when I first got in to multicopters and quickly decided that it just wasn't worth it and that I'd just end up spending a load more money anyway.

Get yourself a Hubsan X4 or Syma X4 for £25 and fly it about for a bit of fun. See if you like it and then if you do, spend some real cash on something that will do what you want.
FPV costs money to do it right. If you want to video stuff then get the Hubsan with camera but without FPV for £50 ish.

However, if you do decide to go with the FPV ones let us know how you get on. I'm genuinely interested.

Associate
It's a good deal but......

What the Vision 2+ does won't come cheaply I'm afraid. There are other options available. Sadly, the parrot drone isn't one of them. Range is only 200' ish and 1000mah battery is probably only going to get you about 10 minutes of flight time.

Cheers mate...
tbh honest I want to be able to lock the camera into a point and be able to fly the camera whilst its locked. That would be a gimble from my research so far.
I have a 5d MK3 but not confident enough to put it in the air.

Soldato
Comparing an RTF toy @ £50 or whatever to a home made quad isn't really fair and both have their place. The 2MP Hubsan etc are ok for what they are. Even the 107D is a good laugh but in that price bracket, you're touching mini quad territory minus fpv gear.

FPV doesn't have to cost the earth though. Quick summery of my bits:

VTX: £18
VRX: £15
Camera: £26
Antenna set: £15
"Goggles": £20
Lipo: An old 1000mah 3s too tired to fly
Solder, heatshrink silicon wire and an XT60 plug

Add £50 for HD recording

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting brennen, could you post your specific setup?

Does anyone know if I can use a turnigy 9x received with my flysky 9x receiver? Are they they same things? Lost my receiver and don't want to spend £14 on one when I got one through hobbyking for a few quid.

Also, how many channels would I need for a plane or multicopter that then has autopilot and pan/tilt FPV setup? More than 8?

Last edited:
Associate
Righto. Does anybody know the cheapest place to get a mobius? Lost mine this morning in the long grass. Also appear to have managed to lose the lens for my Sony fpv can too. So a reliable source for those would be very much appreciated as well.

It's always, always on the last pack! I must leave it in my bag from now on as I'm convinced it's jinxed.

Still not getting the hang of fpv, I find line of sight so much easier.

Soldato
Interesting brennen, could you post your specific setup?

Does anyone know if I can use a turnigy 9x received with my flysky 9x receiver? Are they they same things?

Boscam somethingorother 200mw Vtx
Boscam RC305 Vrx
Sony 600tvl superHAD
Quanum DIY screen goggles
No name RP SMA circular polarised antenna from China (making my own now)

Turnigy 9x = FlySky TH9x, receivers from one will bind with the other no problems. Some really cheap Hobbyking rx also work, through worth asking specifics before making a purchase

Permabanned
Just bought a FPV switch for £10.82 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331364172182?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So far....

Naza V2
Naza PMU v2
DJI iOSD
Fr Sky X8R

Yet too add....

Flytrex Core V2
Fatshark 7ch 250mw 5.8Ghz transmitter
HobbyKing FPV 3 channel video switch
GPS GSM Tracker

iOSD arrived at last. Just playing nothing being fixed yet

IMG_0697_zpsfb66e1f4.jpg

IMG_0699_zps4a3b1c08.jpg

Soldato
so I went with the Syma X4 and going to be ordering the Dromida Ominus outdoor sport quad for £60 seems pretty popular with RCgroups
dide01-includes.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Do I mess about with the pid settings on the board or those on the tx to alter the sensitivity on the Naze32?? I just need to move the stick 1 mm and its all over the place :confused:

Thanks.

Associate
The default setting on the naze is about 60% expo on pitch and roll. I'd have a look at your and check there's nothing funny going on there first, as long as you haven't changed the rcexpo, rcrate, pitch/roll rates in baseflight.

Are you flying in acro/rate mode (red light not lit on the board)?

Soldato
Im not into flips, so I have the red light (level?) enabled on one of the switches. When its selected the board arms but motors wont start. Only changed the ranges on the tx so the board arms.

Soldato
Now have quite a few 2.4ghz models and a load of different controllers, any way I can buy one decent transmitter and bind them all to it (Eg. hubsan x4, syma x4 etc)

Back
Top Bottom