Decorating for re-sale

Soldato
A relative passed away recently, and we will need to sell their house. It is a fairly modern 3 bedroom detached, built around 15 years ago.
Overall, it is in good condition, but a little 'tired' inside. Apart from that, it was built with wooden window frames, which certainly look like they need some attention.
Question is, financially regarding the re-sale value would it be worth re painting, and sorting the windows out?

Soldato
To be honest I think you're best to sell as is, certainly decorating tends to be lost money as hardly anyone when they move into a new house will keep things as they are. You may well have someone offer you ££££ less due to the windows but these days people seem to have more desire to take on projects than 10 years ago so just speak to a few agents to get a good price with a bit of room for negotiation.

We did our first place up and sold it after a year, day after it was sold all the new carpets had been ripped out and were sat outside getting ruined by the rain. Maybe it helped us sell the house but having £2k of carpet I'd only just purchased thrown away was a bit of a bitter pill to swallow at the time.

Associate
If it's just some sanding and a few licks of paint, work out how much that will cost you in time and money.
It won't make a difference to some potential buyers but may attract (higher) bids from others who would have otherwise dismissed it.
Some people just can't see past the tired decor and may think "Meh....I'll leave it!"
Also depends on your market area and how long similar houses take to sell.

Soldato
I've sold a number of properties recently and my agents love me as my properties sell very quickly.

All newly decorated.

All painted white with cream carpets. And dressed to sell.

It doesn't matter if someone will move in and redecorate its the fact that they don't HAVE too that is a big attraction.

Soldato
Depends.

If the windows are in a sorry state then fix that, that's not so much of a preferential thing, it's just maintenance.

In terms of decorating, it depends on the market. Some markets people don't care provided it's neat and tidy - maggy or white walls in other words.

Others, people will redecorate regardless of what you do.

Soldato
Get an estate agent in to value the place and ask them what they think would add value. They'll know what buyers in the area are looking for.

We've done this with a view to selling next year and they told us what people look for when buying and what adds value versus what doesn't. You can then weigh this against the cost of actually doing the work.

Last edited:
Associate
It may not add value to the house directly, but if it sells more quickly that would be worth taking into account. Also, the windows are more maintenance than decoration and really should be done as a minimum.

Soldato
What I'm trying to avoid is spending (total guess) 10k on new windows if its only going to add 5k (if that) to the re-sale value.

The problem with not having double glazing is that buyers will factor in the cost of them when making an offer.
But they will also overstate the cost just as you have.

£10k on windows

A: How big is your house
B: How many windows do you have
C: They don't need to be gold plated.

You'd be surprised at the discount you can get even from some of the big players.

Caporegime
Although almost certainly the new owner will redecorate immediately you should definitely be able to add a lot of value on cleaning, decorating, repairing, and dressing a house.

Some peoples entire careers are based on buying stuffy rundown houses and doing it up for a tidy profit. Most buyers don't really see through the shabby decor, while those that do will try to talk you down to a bargain so they can do it up themselves and make the profit.

But I would keep things relatively cheap and simple, neural colors, no wall paper. Fresh lick of paint, cleaned windows, replace very bad carpets, steam clean others.

Soldato
Kerb appeal does matter so things like ropey windows visible from the outside will negatively impact this. Internally I don't think it matters too much regards wallpaper/paint etc but tatty/dirty carpets are a no-no.

Associate
Some peoples entire careers are based on buying stuffy rundown houses and doing it up for a tidy profit.

That's by far the hardest and riskiest way to "make" money through property in a flat or falling market, usually a rising market makes it look like they've made money on a project - but they loose this "profit"on buying the next place because of it's increase in value during the time of the previous renovation.

An amateur's game tbh, it's far better to buy a large house, knock it down and build multiple smaller units on the same plot.

Back
Top Bottom