How do people handle their drink?

Soldato
Most people I know have drink to have fun, and have a whale of a time, but for me it does not seem to work.

I can get "merry" somtimes, but to drink enough to not care and "dance like no one's watching", well that level means intense hangovers, hanging over the toilet seat for extended periods of times, and my head's spinning around and it's a horrific experience.

It's either that or I have no energy and get real sleepy.

In summary, anything above 4 pint's and I'm wrecked, between that I'm falling asleep or feeling bloated and crap.

Am I drinking the wrong stuff???

Associate
Doesn't sound at all bad to me. Better than needing 8 pints to get to that stage which I doubt your liver would take to very well in the long run.

Perhaps only have a couple of beers and then move on to lighter drinks like G&Ts or wine. Or vice versa start on lighter drinks and savour a beer later on.

Soldato
OP
Basically, people seem to be having fun, all I seem to be getting with alcohol is drowsy and bloated and a bit dozy.

What's good to drink, I normally drink Guinness or Rekorderlig or whatever ale is on offer.

I don't want to spend loads but at the same time I don't just want paint stripper.

Man of Honour
Getting 'merry' as opposed to 'drunk' is underrated. It can be fun to "drink enough to not care" on occasion, but if you need that level of intoxication to have fun (it sounds like overall you don't really enjoy it anyway), then there is a problem somewhere.

Soldato
I've learnt recently that, especially on a long drinking session, the weaker beers are the way forward. The difference between 4% lager and 5% is huge.

I now save Peronis for home or when I'm having one or two down the pub.

Also, avoid getting dragged into rounds of shots.

Man of Honour
Buckfast tonic wine is the solution to your problem! You get wrecked but still have energy.

I see what you mean OP. Until a couple of years ago I didn't know when to stop and would drink until the place closed or until someone put me in a taxi. Getting older resulted in longer hangovers and having kids meant those hangovers could no longer be spent in bed. The solution is to drink less in the same period of time and don't get caught up in rounds and keeping pace. When I go out now I'll order a pint of Guinness with a double whiskey. Strangely, ordering more results in me drinking less. Nursing a pint with the occasional sip of a chaser is a good way to keep a buzz going whilst slowing you down and keeping you out of the pint chugging game.

Also consider taking up pipe or cigar smoking. It provides the opportunity for a sociable break while still indulging. Good conversation starter too!

Caporegime
I know what you mean OP, I'm past the days of waking up not knowing what I did for 6 hours with complete memory loss and if I just drink enough to still know what I'm doing I feel tired and just want to go home. Can't say I'm missing going out every weekend blowing a tonne of money whilst ruining my health at the same time.

Caporegime
I drank a fair bit last night, but woke up feeling fine.

Nothing heavy (ie. requiring large volumes) so it was whiskies, vodkas, along with the odd shot of jaeger or sambuca.

6pm-2am, all about pacing yourself, I made sure I had a pint of water at least once every hour, bed at 4am, up at 10am feeling fine, and I am not a big drinker, and I don't have the liver of a young man any more.

Back
Top Bottom