TV Licence Super Thread

Ken

Ken

Associate
Hi,

Either way I'm ****** is the way I see it. If I don't allow them in then I will keep getting harrassed. If I do allow them in I doubt they will believe me anyway when I say my TV downstairs is never used and the TV upstairs is my main PC display. The only time I watch TV is on catchup services and even then it's only ever going to be Top Gear or some cooking show whilst I'm eating lol. The TV downstairs I can pass to a relative I suppose but still what is the point of their visit when they ain't going to believe you? Or will they? Anyone ever allowed them in?

:confused:

Associate
Are you cancelling to save £12 a month or for another reason? I think you will need to de-tune (is that the right word) and just let them check when they come around.

Soldato
My mate doesn't have a license as he doesn't watch TV live. I was there when they paid him a visit and he just looked at the TV saw it was connected to a laptop and ps4 only and asked if he watched iplayer live, mate says no. Tv license guy says well we will know if you do so no worries and then gave him a document to sign and off he went.

I'm calling bull on the we will know bit but I guess it's possible.

Soldato
I haven't had a tv license for 5 years and never had a visit. They send me a letter every couple of years asking if the situation has changed - notify them that you don't want/need a tv license and you won't have any bother.

The harassment is usually when people don't buy a license but also don't notify them that you don't need one.

Ken

Ken

Associate
OP
Cancelling because I don't watch live TV. I ain't paying 145 quid just to watch Top Gear live. That can wait till it's on iPlayer. My PC TV isn't tuned and there is no aerial socket in that same room. The TV downstairs I can detune but it be probably easier if I just give that TV to a relative as that does have an aerial socket behind it so as long as I ditch that TV I assume the licensing monkeys will be fine with this?

Ken

Ken

Associate
OP
My mate doesn't have a license as he doesn't watch TV live. I was there when they paid him a visit and he just looked at the TV saw it was connected to a laptop and ps4 only and asked if he watched iplayer live, mate says no. Tv license guy says well we will know if you do so no worries and then gave him a document to sign and off he went.

I'm calling bull on the we will know bit but I guess it's possible.

I haven't had a tv license for 5 years and never had a visit. They send me a letter every couple of years asking if the situation has changed - notify them that you don't want/need a tv license and you won't have any bother.

The harassment is usually when people don't buy a license but also don't notify them that you don't need one.

Ahhh, that's reassuring. I'll notify them online then.

Man of Honour
I don't have normal TV, a guy visited, I showed him the TV with just an HDMI cable in from my AV amp which is connected to a PS3, PS4 and WiiU. My youngest son was watching Netflix at the time so he saw it all up and running, told me maximum time he could mark down for no more visits was 3 years. Also asked me if I was ever thinking of watching normal TV, I told him no point because I only watch streamed content and movies as normal TV is pointless.

All very simple, guy was polite and very nice about everything, no problem at all, he turned up unannounced but how else would they catch the people pulling as fast one and getting TV with no license.

Soldato
To be honest I bet if you don't look like a tramp and don't argue about access to the property to take a look they won't bother coming back.

Soldato
Cancelling because I don't watch live TV. I ain't paying 145 quid just to watch Top Gear live. That can wait till it's on iPlayer. My PC TV isn't tuned and there is no aerial socket in that same room. The TV downstairs I can detune but it be probably easier if I just give that TV to a relative as that does have an aerial socket behind it so as long as I ditch that TV I assume the licensing monkeys will be fine with this?

You shouldn't need to ditch the TV, just get rid of the cable to the aerial socket so it's obvious enough you only have devices connected, though if you don't use it for anything then it would be easier to get rid entirely I suppose and give someone else the benefit of it

Associate
Mate, just ignored them for most of 5 years so far. Been harrassed once when a stupid bint I lived with let them in. Think detunings a bit far, just have the aerial unplugged. You also don't need to let them in.

Man of Honour
You shouldn't need to ditch the TV, just get rid of the cable to the aerial socket so it's obvious enough you only have devices connected

Exactly this, the guy who visited me only wanted to see the inputs on the TV to check for an aerial lead, all they have to do is check you cannot receive the signal.

And as mentioned before, de-tune your TV because the may ask you to change channels, if channels show they may think you took away the aerial.

Man of Honour
Mate, just ignored them for most of 5 years so far. Been harrassed once when a stupid bint I lived with let them in. Think detunings a bit far, just have the aerial unplugged. You also don't need to let them in.

Why make things hard, for yourself, de-tune the tv couple of minutes at the most, letting someone check, couple of minutes at the most. They are only doing a job, they don't want to hassle anyone, for the sake of a small amount of time there is no hassle at all and no repeat visits.

Ken

Ken

Associate
OP
Thanks guys :)

I really don't want the hassle and have nothing to worry about so I will just allow them in if they do come round. Will detune or give away the redundant TV before my license expires this end of Feb.

Caporegime
Declared I didn't need a license Oct 2013 and haven't had a visit to date.

TV is de-tuned (all DTV channels deleted) and the ariel is over the other side of the room anyway.

Back
Top Bottom