Overnight Oatmeal

Associate
Anyone else wake-up to this first thing in the morning? No microwave or cooking involved, prepared before bed and eaten in the morning.

My word, it's delicious! :eek:

Oats
Milk
Chia Seed
Greek Yogurt
Honey
Banana

Man of Honour
This is fairly common in the Sports Arena. I've been tempted in the past but as I don't like porridge really (despite loving all other forms of oats) I've always wondered about how it compares to that. Care to comment? :)

Soldato
I've seen a couple recipes and people raving about it but I don't know whether I did it wrong or whether it's just not for me - I don't know if maybe it was one of the ingredients I used but it ended up like claggy sour porridge so wasn't particularly appealing to eat :p

I thought I'd be a fan as I eat oatmeal every morning anyway, but then I do prefer wholegrain rolled oats cooked in water with a bit of bite to the rolled or steelcut oats where you get a more starchy outcome.

Maybe I'll give it another go though :)

Man of Honour
This is fairly common in the Sports Arena. I've been tempted in the past but as I don't like porridge really (despite loving all other forms of oats) I've always wondered about how it compares to that. Care to comment? :)

I'm not a massive fan of porridge, but used to make this with oats, blueberries and chocolate whey.
Really nice, much prefer it to the normal porridge.

Soldato
I think they're delicious. I like them with just oats, milk and some brown sugar. I think they're much nicer than regular porridge.

Man of Honour
I really need to just try it (and I actually have a couple of bags of decent quality oats sat downstairs to do so) but can you tell me in what way it is different to/better than porridge? :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I really need to just try it (and I actually have a couple of bags of decent quality oats sat downstairs to do so) but can you tell me in what way it is different to/better than porridge? :)

It's much lighter and fresher than cooked porridge if that makes sense, works well especially when it starts warming up in the mornings.

kai

kai

Soldato
I recently tried soaking the oats overnight mixed with fresh ground coffee, and natural yogurt instead of milk/water.

Soldato
For reasons of laziness in the morning and needing to eat a little better I have actually just ordered a few La Parfait small jars for this very purpose, will post back with the results!

Soldato

It's much lighter and fresher than cooked porridge if that makes sense, works well especially when it starts warming up in the mornings.

Yeah, what Tom said. I find that it tastes nicer in that you can taste the creaminess better, though I find that to be the case with cold creamy food, like I prefer fresh custard cold for the same reason.

I also find that it has a nicer texture to it too, less mushy paste, you can feel the grain of the oats better.

Soldato
So, er, what exactly is it then? :confused:

We soak our porridge in half water overnight, then add the other half milk and warm up in a pan in the morning. Just saves cooking time. Hot porridge in the cold mornings is bliss.

Soldato
You don't heat it up, you just put the oats in a jar with milk (and sugar if you want) and leave it in the fridge overnight. The oats soak up the milk and it's ready to eat in the morning without heating up. I prefer the taste of it when cold so it suits me much better.

Caporegime
Tried it once but hot porridge is a million times better: creamier, richer, much more of a bite from the rolled oats, and having something hot when it is cold out is on of lifes luxuries. 60 second in a microwave so is also way easier and quicker than trying to arrnage things the night before.

Caporegime
Quicker and easier than pouring oats in a jar, then milk and putting it in the fridge?

Yep, oats in to a bowl with some milk, microwave for 60 seconds and enjoy. Instantly ready, don't have to remember to faff around the night before, no need to plan ahead. You can wake up in the morning and instantly decide between a shake, hot porridge, wheatabix, fruit, eggs + bacon. I don't know about you but I certainly don't know what I want to eat or breakfast the next day, it totally changes.

Soldato
I suppose it depends if you're a night before or a morning of kinda person for breakfast, getting clothes ready etc etc :p

I think part of my reluctance may be that working from home I have the time in the mornings to make 'proper' oatmeal (i.e. 10 minutes start to finish lol) - this morning I had oatmeal with blueberries, apple and pomegranate seeds and it was lovely. Maybe if I was on a regular schedule with less time in the morning I'd be more open to compromise.

That said, I'll give it a go this weekend and see if I maybe just ballsed it up last time - anyone got a tried and tested recipe?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom