Caporegime
recommend me a easy to remove saddle bag! It needs to fit the fallowing -;

pump
levers
mini tool
chain tool
spare tube
puncture kit

but something that wouldn't require me to attach any random brackets to the bike, I need to for rides during weekend, where I don't want to carry my backpack. Anything around that you guys would recommend? I keep ripping them apart..

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-medium-saddle-bag/

looks good!

Topeak Hexus II is a good small multi tool with plenty of allen keys and a chain tool and serviceable tyre levers. Puncture kit needn't take up much space, though you're better served by spare tubes as you know, and they will take up room... So for those things, you don't need anything massive. It's the pump that will take up the room. Can you not just stick a mini pump on the frame or in your jersey pocket? That way you don't need an epically huge saddle bag.

Soldato
recommend me a easy to remove saddle bag! It needs to fit the fallowing -;

I gave up on saddle bags years ago.

Anything I put in one seems to get destroyed by vibration, especially if there are metal items in there such as coins etc.

I've had more luck with a bum bag or jersey pockets.

You can get frame mounts for pumps, which might be best.

Soldato
Topeak Hexus II is a good small multi tool with plenty of allen keys and a chain tool and serviceable tyre levers. Puncture kit needn't take up much space, though you're better served by spare tubes as you know, and they will take up room... So for those things, you don't need anything massive. It's the pump that will take up the room. Can you not just stick a mini pump on the frame or in your jersey pocket? That way you don't need an epically huge saddle bag.

that tool does look great! might add it to the list of things to get :) will save some space, but knowing my tyre fitment the levers will fail instantly..

I don't wear jerseys and ride in sleevless tops - just prefer the comfort really, so saddle/frame bag is the only option, RE pump, I think I have the frame mount for it somewhere, need to see how big it is!

Soldato
I gave up on saddle bags years ago.

Anything I put in one seems to get destroyed by vibration, especially if there are metal items in there such as coins etc.

I've had more luck with a bum bag or jersey pockets.

You can get frame mounts for pumps, which might be best.

Wrap your tools and tubes in seperate old socks! can pack everything tight and avoid tubes being ruined.

Soldato
I have a lidl saddle bag like this one:
j0eeyHU.jpg

It has a clip on the top which attaches to the saddle rails but if you dont use that, the attachment on the top of the bag is the perfect size to thread a toe strap through.
Strap through the clip, through the saddle rails and round the bottom of the bag holds it nicely in place (with the velcro around the seatpost too). You can also use it to compress the bag a bit and stop things moving around inside.

Soldato
Not sure if I asked this earlier in the year but , I'm going to Ibiza in June going to try and get a couple of days biking in. Anyone know of any routes first hand ?

Had a look on ridewithgps got a few ideas but wondering if anyone has anyone first hand rides.

Soldato
@Roady - do a turbo session at high intensity and then head out for an easy ride. Best of both worlds :)

Gah, it's so nice-looking outside :/

It looked nice but I knew rain was forecast this afternoon so I went to do Brasstown... The rain came earlier than expected so I had to cut my ride short, one of the drawbacks with turboing outside :eek: I was all over the place and finding it tricky to maintain power or cadence, if I concentrated on one the other would drop? I'm putting it down to not using the turbo for a couple of weeks... Also distracted by watching rugby on my tablet... :rolleyes:

After I'd packed everything away from the rain... It stopped. Quick change of clothes and went for the full clean and service on my bike (overdue), sure enough again the rain decided to make an appearance so I had to finish off cleaning (rinsing, lubing & checking tyres) in the rain so had to put the bike away wet! :(

As it was time for the rugby (England vs Ireland) and the forecast was for rain, I'd planned to stay inside all afternoon. Sure enough the sun came out and the weather was glorious again! I couldn't get a break today! :rolleyes: Sure enough once the rugby was over (+ dog was walked) the rain began again so my half-thoughts of going back on the turbo again were scuppered.

Felt brilliant all the way round and dropped the others on pretty much every climb, which considering my huge Chinese last night was good. Good 48 miles at 17mph including the easing off for the guys to catch back on for the first 30 one so.

Good ride and good form, you're sounding strong! (remind me to never ride with you lol) ;)

Thanks guys, I will see how I get on and see if I kill the rs21s. Luckily they are quite cheap so it's no biggy if I'm too heavy for them :o

The only problem I see is that if one of the 20goes then your wheel will really be buckled.. While on a 32spoke wheel it won't be as visible.

To be honest Bear, you won't be 100kg for long if you're doing enough miles to pressure a wheel into buckling by breaking a spoke! Get some miles under your belt and don't worry about the wheels etc :cool:

Just finished a 70 mile Sportive; very windy but an awesome ride.

Time : 3hrs 50 mins
Avg Speed : 18.4 mph
Climbing : 1,500 meters
Average power : 250w (Strava)

Good work and average mph, what was the terrain like? Fairly flat I'm guessing with that elevation over 70 miles...

To circumvent the 4 GB limit you could: a) make a shorter video, b) make a video at a lower resolution or c) upgrade to Windows 8.

That's extremely lame - especially given the same issue doesn't exist in the Win8 version of the software.

Sounds to me like they compiled it (for some unknown reason) with a file limit in it... Smacks to me of windows 7 x86! Although odd they've 'fixed' it in Windows 8... As there shouldn't need to be a different program for each OS?! :rolleyes:

Be careful, it's not listed as waterproof! I have the Ortlieb micro but I don't carry my pump or chain tool in it, I have the pump mounted next to one of my bottle cages. The bag is ok but again and again I'm edging towards something else but I'm going to have one last effort by wrapping my metal bits in old inner tube to try and reduce the rattle.

I'm going to ask a silly question now... But why do you need to carry a chain tool? Side of the road servicing a chain doesn't sound like a great idea to me...

First 50 miler :D- suffering big time in the saddle region :(

https://www.strava.com/activities/261537976

Get some cream! Nice ride though, middle section is nice and flat! I need to find me some of those...

Hit a slight snag with my Superstar Garmin/Gopro mount and the Gopro part of it doesn't appear to be threaded (like in this picture) so I can't use my GoPro to VIRB adaptor. Going to email Superstar now and see what they say...!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So...ordered my dodgy Chinese frame earlier in the week and now Road.cc post this:

http://road.cc/content/review/143951-kinesis-crosslight-pro-6-frameset

:rolleyes:

Still, a little heavier than the frame I've ordered (and more expensive) but I'd have strongly considered it if I'd known about it a week ago. Ah well :)

edit: Actually, on second-thoughts, it's quite far from a perfect frame.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Heehee, selling all the parts I've got from that Planet X bundle that I already have, and someone has just bought the seat post for £20 which sells on Planet X for £19.99 :D

Ghastly red and blue bar tape went for £2.75. Drop bars went for £2.20 :eek: someone got a bargain there!

It's all good, given it basically cost me nothing!

Edit: £26 for the stem?!

Last edited:
Soldato
The first half was into a 20mph+ head wind with 40mph gusts where I averaged just over 20mph.
Anyway my correct power meter should be with me this week so i'll get more accurate numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom