Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
How is it to get around in Japan? Like if we needed help with directions or something do many people speak English or even broken English?

Associate
New bike: B'twin Triban 300. Got this bike on recommedation from someone in the cyclodrome subforum. For the few miles I have rode it has been amazing and fast!

JwvYDBY.jpg

I also got some new accessories to go with the bike:

87ipxrw.jpg

I never usually wear a helmet but I am getting wiser. With the speeds I will be riding at on this bike I don't want brain soup all over the pavement if I fall off or get hit.

POB

POB

Soldato
How is it to get around in Japan? Like if we needed help with directions or something do many people speak English or even broken English?

I cheated and rented a pocket WiFi device. Having access to Google maps handles route planning on the subway easily. Works underground even so my phone shows a live subway map.

People are extremely helpful.

Soldato
Navigation out there is easy although I did use the offline maps.me app on android a couple of times just to check where I was. You can also get tourist access to the docomo wifi access points for ~2000yen for 3 weeks which is a lot cheaper than renting a pocket wifi device and is sufficient for most people (that and sign up for free wifi from Starbucks Japan before you go). For the underground (and the rail services) just print off a copy of the map before you go.

When there get a Suica card from one of the machines at most main stations. Works like a Oyster card and makes using public transport a lot easier as you are not buying tickets all the time, and you end up with far less change, and is usable in a lot of places throughout the country (I've used mine in places from Sapporo to Fukuoka as well as many cities inbetween).

Soldato
Few things for the flat. Extra cushions for the sofa as feel like we slouch far too much with the sofa as it is, a new throw that feels like silk and a new rug as the old one was crusty as (cat was already here)

P54Es53h.jpg

3v3iLK4h.jpg

Associate
I just got back from 9 days in Japan, it surprised me with being so cheap (anything is after living in Denmark) but people always seem to mention that about Japan before anything else, even in Tokyo it wasn't as expensive as London (accommodation can be pricey depending on location). We stayed in the Remm Akihabara which is on top of the local train station. All train stops and maps have English translations, even out in the sticks and the people are always willing to help but seemed very shy about using English (even the hotel staff) but you will get by easily.

I must have been to the Yodobashi and Map Camera stores 4 or 5 times, its really something special to see if you are a tech nerd, I ended up with a lot more bits than I expected due to the prices (Australia was cheaper for cameras oddly, might be the exchange rate again).

The JR rail pass pays for itself quickly (even using it Tokyo - Kyoto - Tokyo means you break even) and I used MAPS.ME on my S5 for offline maps (Google Maps wont allow you to store any of Japan offline) it was really useful on a number of occasions but sadly lacks walking directions at the moment.

It took me far too long to visit Japan, my advice to those thinking about it, just go! Don't wait!

Soldato
I just had to check that this is the "Images of Items I have purchased" thread as it appears to have been virtually taken over by discussions about Japan.

As interesting as these might be (to some members!) surely they would be better off in a new separate dedicated thread?

Is this something which perhaps one of the 'Mods' or Administrators could sort out?

Thanks! :)

** Come get a big hug \:)/ **

Associate
I just had to check that this is the "Images of Items I have purchased" thread as it appears to have been virtually taken over by discussions about Japan.

As interesting as these might be (to some members!) surely they would be better off in a new separate dedicated thread?

Is this something which perhaps one of the 'Mods' or Administrators could sort out?

Thanks! :)

Whats the big deal? It'll last a few comments and then move on? No need to stiffle discussion.

Soldato
Whats the big deal? It'll last a few comments and then move on? No need to stiffle discussion.

Not trying to stiffle discussion at all, but there have been more than a few posts on that subject already, and what is the point in having the many and varied sections we are fortunate to have on this Forum if no one is going to bother to use them?

If anyone is genuinely interested in learning about Japan, this is not the place they will immediately think of looking is it... they come here to see what goodies others members have bought!

Soldato
New bike: B'twin Triban 300. Got this bike on recommedation from someone in the cyclodrome subforum. For the few miles I have rode it has been amazing and fast!

JwvYDBY.jpg

I have no interest in pedal bikes but out of interest tapped it in on Google to see if it was another bike costing silly money.

Pleasantly surprised.

Carry on.

Soldato
new phone (phablet)

huawei ascend mate 7 (6" screen )

They say size matters... and I didnt used to believe it with phones but I now do

P4140001_zpsaxqymgmp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom