Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Change from £25 for two tyres and two tubes cheap enough? :p

I went for Michelin Lithion 2 in 25mm. I honestly wasn't expecting to notice a difference but they are very compliant on the road.

Ah, at least they're Michelin! And that is cheap, hope they don't let you down! I'm happy to pay that for 1 tyre (Pro4 E's) but finding it hard to justify spending more (GP4S).

During winter instead of buying a CX could I put better tyres on my bike?

Yes, Pro4 Grip, GP4S, there are lots of 23mm/25mm tyres with winter orientated grip which would fit your Defy :)

Tyres mainly as I'll need very good grip around here, my wheels will become winter wheels and I'll buy a new decent set next summer. I'm hoping my cassette will see the year through and stay on these wheels there after and be replaced with cheaper gear during winters whilst summer wheels will get the best gear :)

Good idea to rotate your cassette and wheels like that, certainly with the miles you're doing!

Roady, did you get defy guards or did you get some others?

If you got defy ones where did you get them from?

I don't know how else to say this but...

DO NOT GET THE OFFICIAL GIANT GUARDS/FENDERS! :p

I wasted money on them, they're ok quality but damn are they noisey (very annoying)! I fitted my Raceblade Longs (XL) last night and they are superb. I know it might be hard to track down a set (EOL) but well worth the effort! Easier to fit than the Giants, better fit (less fiddling around to stop rub) and so far they're completely silent! I've not ridden them in the rain yet (Saturday may be the test) but the way they fit they'll be fine! I got mine from Wheelies but I know Tart tried getting a set around the same time and couldn't, they must be available elsewhere if you hunt around enough.

If we get an OcUK team jersey made it would make spotting each other very easy.:D

Castelli do custom kit or perhaps if we ask Rapha really nicely?

I'm up for that providing I don't need to sell a kidney to afford it.

Soldato
Going on my clubs midweek "social" ride tonight. 16-18mph pace but half of the race team attend so it could be a bit of a smash fest. I've already apologised to my legs in advance.

Sounds fun! I've got another circuit based 10m TT tonight. After 70 miles Sunday, 50 very hard miles Monday, active recovery yesterday I can't imagine I'll be going very fast :(

Man of Honour
Booked the afternoon off to go riding with a friend and his gf. Speeds won't be too crazy but she's actually gotten a lot faster lately so it won't be tediously slow either, especially with how knackered my legs are after the fairly hard weekend rides and no rest between.

Soldato
Morning group today, 15km solo warm up first then roll out at 6:15.

Coming back to town was completely bonkers, 20 minutes at 300w average, 46kmh average! I was second wheel, god knows what the front was like, I did two short turns at 450w which nearly blew me up.

Associate
Think I'm going to have another rest day today. The CX bike is filthy and in need of a good service, might replace the chain as it's approaching 2k miles.
I'm also keen to get the summer bike out, but need to install the new saddle, make adjustments etc. I'm also going to take my cleats off, and push them back as far as possible (a suggestion from SoliD), to see if I still have problems with my knee afterwards.

I went out last night for a short spin, beautiful weather. Don't know what's happened to Spring, we seemed to have skipped straight to summer. 19'C at 7:00pm in April, madness!
Oh, I left the backpack at home as it was a short spin :)

Associate
I did say I should have been in your group! I might have managed to hang on that bit longer.

I felt like we were fair shifting along when the scratch came blasting past!

I'm in bed feeling like my soul has been removed from my body via my ********. Driving to work tomorrow it seems.:D

Yeah, that group was definitely more my level. ie getting my legs ripped off by a bunch of kids. :o

Cycled in this morning. Bit sore the first couple of miles but not too bad after that.

Caporegime
So, sent my Brevet jersey to Rapha for repair after my accident, and....they've lost it :(.

They've offered a voucher in return but it was a nice colour that they don't sell any more and a christmas present. Bummer.

Underboss
went to see the Chiropractor today

she said I should be back on the bike in around 3 weeks or so

I am VERY tight around my left side and one side is longer than the other so giving me pain, but she is pushing it all back into place for me

on another note, had some money that I got for Xmas, to use in my local Cycle Shop, and I went in there today, and picked up some Altura Airsteam mits for Summer, but not used my xmas money

there where 2 jackets that got me really interested, and I would like some advice on which to go for (price is irrelevant)

1. Altura Night Vision EVO
or
2. Funkier (do not know which one) its thick (warm and waterproof)

thanks

Underboss
So, sent my Brevet jersey to Rapha for repair after my accident, and....they've lost it :(.

They've offered a voucher in return but it was a nice colour that they don't sell any more and a christmas present. Bummer.

they lost it ! noooo
tell them it was a special present and its got sentimental values, hence that colour (see if u get more money out of them )

Soldato
Think I'm going to have another rest day today. The CX bike is filthy and in need of a good service, might replace the chain as it's approaching 2k miles.
I'm also keen to get the summer bike out, but need to install the new saddle, make adjustments etc. I'm also going to take my cleats off, and push them back as far as possible (a suggestion from SoliD), to see if I still have problems with my knee afterwards.

I went out last night for a short spin, beautiful weather. Don't know what's happened to Spring, we seemed to have skipped straight to summer. 19'C at 7:00pm in April, madness!
Oh, I left the backpack at home as it was a short spin :)

Cleat position is important, I actually refitted mine from scratch yesterday - I'd tried a number of times to 'adjust' by feeling a good position from the original position I put them in (which I just lined them up roughly by eye to my feet position on the pedals - back in July!).

I used the 'tried and tested' (?) method of marking on my shoes (pencil) where the 'balls' on the outside of my feet were. I found my left cleat was very near the position (one I've had no problem with), yet my right was quite far out (the one I've been having numbness problems with and adjusted several times). Both original positions were further forwards than the new one.

After riding home yesterday I noticed quite a bit of movement in my right and it still wasn't comfortable, I was fairly sure my feet are 'even' so I placed my shoes sole to sole and replicated the left cleat position onto the right shoe. Test ride last night and it's much better, my long ride this weekend will tell for sure! :cool:

Fitted my Raceblade Longs (XL) and very impressed so far... Very little noise and hardly any rubbing to sort out (unlike the Giant guards). Time will tell as they need some age and weather into them to be sure, at the moment they're substantially better than the Giant guards. The only current downside would be them mounting on the QR skewers rather than the mount points I have on my frame, so removing wheels becomes more tricky/time consuming.

raceblades.jpg

Edit: size fixed!

Noooo! Gutted, hopefully they find it :o

there where 2 jackets that got me really interested, and I would like some advice on which to go for (price is irrelevant)

1. Altura Night Vision EVO
or
2. Funkier (do not know which one) its thick (warm and waterproof)

Not tried a Funkier, the only Altura I tried (Nevis II) I found it to be quite poorly fitted - 'baggy' around the middle and the tail hardly dropped/nothing to keep it down. Really felt like it wasn't optimised to the 'riding' position. Defo worth trying jackets on sat on a bike, rather than just stood in a shop! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom